New Digestive Issues throughout Whole 30

Today is Reintroduction Day 1!  I made it thought the Whole30, yea!  I didn't feel like I had a whole lot of physical symptoms before starting the Whole30, I was mainly concerned about seeing how different foods affected my body, knowing that there might be things I wasn't recognizing as problem foods.  My entire 30 days was filled with digestive issues that I've never had before.  I would waver between constipation to explosive diarrhea, but never any 'normal' stools.  I was hoping it was just a matter of time to work things out, but here I am, day 31 still with a gurgly, upset tummy.  

Here is what I've eaten in the past 24 hours:

Breakfast:  2.5 scrambled eggs with Sun dried tomato Sausage, Coffee

Lunch:  Chicken Primavera from the Whole30 book.  I substituted butternut squash for yellow squash and sweet potatoes for the green beans.  I also served it over Spaghetti Squash noodles.

Dinner:  Shepherds Pie from the Whole30 books.  I did add homemade tomato sauce to the recipe to add flavor (I mixed a can of whole tomatoes with a can of tomato paste).  Boy was is delicious too!

Breakfast this morning:  Frittata which included: Eggs, spinach, red and green peppers, onions, Sun Dried Tomato Sausage, Garlic

I constantly drink water, more than half my body weight.  It's possible I had a small handful of nuts (either cashews or almonds) as well.  

Any ideas?  Suggestions?  I'm nervous to reintroduce foods with my belly feeling the way it does!

I don't have any advice for you, but am watching this thread.

I am on day 30 of my Whole30 and had the same experience but not to the same extreme.

My gut wasn't upset but I alternated between constipation and very loose stools the entire 30 days.

Interested to see what people have to say.

Following

I'm three days into a Whole9 but eat a clean, 90% paleo diet when I'm not doing that. I have a question about diarrhea and a Whole 9 / Whole30.  

My issues all started when my son (age 6) and I both had ongoing diarrhea around Thanksgiving 2015. He was eventually diagnosed w/ Norovirus (cruise ship bug) and me with Rotavirus (regular old stomach bug). His eventually resolved but took 6 months. Mine is still going 14 months later. I've been tested for everything under the sun and had a colonoscopy - nothing is medically wrong with me (good news I guess). I started eating paleo to try to heal my digestive tract and the Whole9 I thought would boost it even further. Things have been worse than ever however and I'm getting frustrated.  I seem to see improvements when I eat crap (think regular old white bun, pizza, pretzels, etc.). Do I need more fiber? Less fiber? More water? Digestive enzymes? Any thoughts?

@SugarandSpice- the only mention of fat I see in the meals listed above is nuts, which would definitely cause digestive issues. Which other fats are you using and in what quantities?

@Whole30Kinda- it would be impossible to comment on what could be causing your gut upset without knowing what you've eaten - can you give detail on a few typical days?

@Reddoerr- again, without seeing a few days worth of food intake it would be impossible to comment. Just to calrify - Whole9 is a lifestyle, incorporating nine pillars of health, one of which is nutrition. Whole30 is the 30 day eating program designed as a gut reset. Are you currently doing a Whole30?

Yes, I was a bit cryptic wasn't I? Sorry! No, I'm not doing a Whole 30 but I am following those principles to the letter for 9 days. A friend needed a partner for a challenge, but as I mentioned in my first post, I eat mostly Paleo anyway so I'm trying to see if going completely clean for a bit does anything to sort out my digestive issues. Basically, to eat clean I just needed to eliminate rice & quinoa, sugar (for me mainly salad dressings) and alcohol. I'm gluten, soy and dairy free otherwise and we use very few processed foods. I'll post my meals in a day or two, I haven't kept track so far. Thanks!

@jmcbn  I used the fats listed in the Whole30 book for the specific recipes I listed.  I also have the fats from the meats.  I use either olive oil or bacon fat in my cooking.  I also never drain my fat from cooking.  I actually have seen a bit of improvement in the past 24 house, but I'm paying close attention to how my stomach feels.  I had chili with sweet potatoes last night and it didn't bother me, which I thought it would.  

I had issues all through my Whole30 and found that once I went low FODMAPS, my gut felt so much better. I've been able to heal and figure out which foods my gut doesn't like. Some foods, especially in combination, were an issue for me. I do notice you have at least one disruptive food in each meal. Maybe try that for a week or two and see what happens?

12 hours ago, SugarandSpice said:

@jmcbn  I used the fats listed in the Whole30 book for the specific recipes I listed.  I also have the fats from the meats.  I use either olive oil or bacon fat in my cooking.  I also never drain my fat from cooking.  I actually have seen a bit of improvement in the past 24 house, but I'm paying close attention to how my stomach feels.  I had chili with sweet potatoes last night and it didn't bother me, which I thought it would.  

Ok, well keep a record of what you've been eating and any subsequent symptoms & let us know how you get on.

I'd definitely keep any nuts to an absolute minimum during this period as these can be very disruptive to the gut.

I spoke too soon.  I had quacamole with my dinner last night and was doubled over in pain.  This is the 3rd time this has happened on the whole30 (i had never tried avocado before).  Is it possible it's just an avocado thing?  I'm going to start a low fodmap diet today.  My digestion is not going so well either, stopped up again.

Avocado can be very problematic - it's also high FODMAP - take a look at the traffic light system list about half way down the page on >this link< and try eating from the green list only for a few days and see if your symptoms subside. There aren't a HUGE amount of FODMAPs in what you've listed above, but if this is a typical day of eating it could be that you surpassed your individual tolerance threshold.... With some elimination followed by food testing you should be able to reintroduce most of these foods again, paying attention to portion sizes & food combinations.

Hope this helps.

Archived