Sunnytropic's reintro log

sunnytropic

I made it through my first round of whole 30 and have my reintroduction schedule mapped out.

Today is day 1 and I'm testing Dairy.

2/1- dairy

2/5- alcohol - gluten free beer for the superbowl! 80-90% of the time I'm a beer girl so that's what I want to test.

2/8- non-gluten grains

2/11- gluten grains

2/14- legumes

Dairy day complete!

I truly enjoyed and savored each item I ate today. We'll see how I feel tomorrow and the following day back on Whole30 but I haven't had any noticeable side effects today. I had whole milk in my latte, a piece of good cheese with lunch, and after dinner I ate a small dish of Ben & Jerry's Chocolate Therapy.

The thing that surprised me most was being satisfied with that small dish of ice cream and not feeling like I needed or wanted more. That NEVER used to happen. I have these Pampered chef prep bowls I use for ice cream that hold 3/4 cup at most (1.5 servings of the typical ice cream) and I used to cram as much as I could in there.

I don't want ice cream to be an every day thing like it used to be (usually a non-premium one) but if I am going to enjoy it occasionally I want it to be the good stuff.

Successfully navigated an interesting reintro day 2 where I stayed Whole30 compliant.

I sat through 2 different lunch meetings with free pizza and Mexican food, then we had a celebration for a colleague retiring in the afternoon which featured beer/wine and lots of snacks and desserts.

I ate my own lunch (chicken salad w/ homemade mayo and leftover green beans with olive oil) and then just drank water while I socialized. It wasn't as difficult as it sounds, really liking how eating this way makes me feel so much more in control.

Still didn't notice any ill effects from the dairy, I could reintroduce something else tomorrow but I'm holding out for gluten free beer for the Superbowl on Sunday!

Another couple of uneventful strict Whole30 days.

Had friends over and put out cheese and crackers and olives and veggies and hummus for everyone. It was *a little* hard not to have the cheese and crackers but I stuck to the veggies and olives.

Looking forward to some gluten free beer for the Superbowl tomorrow, I just stuck them in the fridge!

Decided to make wings for the game tonight to and found a yummy sounding Asian baked wing recipe that was compliant. I started marinating them last night. Any time I've ever made an Asian recipe, I always leave out fish sauce because the idea of it grosses me out even though I'm sure I eat it all the time when I'm at Asian restaurants. I decided yesterday to put on my big girl undies and use it. Today it dawned on me that it might not be compliant so I went to look at the label. Sure enough, the brand I have has "sugar" as an ingredient.

I am SO GLAD this happened after I finished my Whole30! I thought about doing a Whole45 or Whole60 but it was this reason (accidental slip up not realized until after the fact) that I didn't. I am going to eat them tonight and drink my beer and enjoy them all.

Good reminder to keep *always* reading labels before using though!

Had a couple more strict WHole30 days after the beer and today it's non-gluten grains day!

I just had some oatmeal with my breakfast, it tasted really good. I made it with macadamia nut milk and at the end added some ghee and a little brown sugar, definitely less than I would have in the past.

Lunch will include some quinoa and dinner will have some rice or rice noodles with red Thai curry chicken & veggies.

Just polished off my thai red curry! I ended up making some rice on the side instead of rice noodles, the way I usually make it is a one pot meal with the noodles being cooked together with everything else but then I realized I couldn't eat the leftovers if I did that this time! So I cut down on the liquid and made a serving of rice on the side for tonight.

It's hard for me to tell side effects, I felt maybe a little "foggy" and tired after breakfast and lunch, and also had a slight headache for a little bit, but I also had one last night which was a strict Whole30 day so I don't know if it is just a coincidence.

Despite having more carbs at each meal today, my meals kept me full for the normal 4-5 hours so that is good to know!

It's gluten day! Had some crusty Italian bread with ghee as part of my breakfast and planning some whole wheat pasta with lunch or dinner. I also want to have a beer (already reintro'd alcohol and I was fine) maybe while watching he Rangers game tonight but we'll see how I feel.

Survived a work happy hour yesterday while remaining compliant (seltzer with lime for the win!) and have a strategy in place for a kids bday party today.

Enjoyed some pasta with lunch and a beer after dinner yesterday.

Tummy was a little rumbly today, but nothing too terrible. At least noticeable though. Going forward I don't plan to give up gluten and non-gluten grains forever, but I don't plan to eat them every day or certainly not multiple times per day going forward!

2 pimples showed up on my forehead the day after gluten day...coincidence? My skin has been pretty good the past few years with the occasional breakout, the exception being last fall when I was stressed out and eating a lot of junk. Will have to keep an eye out for more acne when I eat gluten.

Today is legumes day! I had some peanut butter on an apple with breakfast and will have some chickpeas with lunch. Not sure what I'll have with dinner, I'm making beef shanks in the slow cooker with some potatoes and broccoli on the side!

I have a work potluck for lunch and some of the stuff people made sounds amazing (bacon wrapped blue cheese stuff dates!) and part of me wants to say screw it and try everything but the other part of me wants to finish this reintro right.

I made a greek pasta salad and left some of the veggies and chickpeas and dressing aside so I could have some before I mixed in the pasta and feta.

Today was definitely a challenge but I was an adult about it and persevered :)

At the potluck I had my planned chicken/veggies with greek dressing and then got a plate of a few comlpliant items- carrots and guac, tomatoes, and the only non-compliant item I had was one blue cheese stuffed bacon date. Except for the blue cheese it would have been fine, it was the size of 1/2 my thumb so I'm not too worried.

Proud I passed up the homemade empanadas, mac & cheese, and all the desserts- cookies, cakes, rice krispy treats etc.

Ended up not having a legume with dinner, I probably should have tested soy something or other but I couldn't think of anything that went with my planned meal I mentioned above.

One or two more Whole30 days then it's time to ride my own bike!

Today I've got Hershey kisses and Reeses hearts all over the office tempting me. Staying strong so far. I am not hungry so it's really just the temptation that is annoying me!

I weighed myself today and have lost 4.2 lbs during these 2 weeks of reintro. Total lost between Whole30 & reintro is 14.6. I am very happy with that but have a long way to go still!

It took me 5 months to lose 13 lbs last year tracking my food and feeling deprived. I've lost more than that in 6 weeks this year.

Another week has gone by.

I had a lot of social engagements last week and despite having more gluten/dairy/desserts than I initially planned, I still lost 1.2 lbs this week.

That's 15.8 lbs in 7 weeks now.

I made pasta salad for a pot luck last week and didn't eat it that day since I was still doing reintro but there was a lot left and my husband and I ended up eating the rest for lunch quite a number of days. It had gluten (pasta), dairy (feta cheese), and legumes (chickpeas) but none of it bothered me and it didn't de-rail me or wake up my sugar dragon. It had a bunch of other veggies (red onion, peppers, tomatoes) and olives with a yummy greek vinaigrette so it kept me satiated like my Whole30 lunches.

I also had 2 iced lattes with cow's milk and then ran out of nutpods so even my smaller coffee's at home ended up having a splash of cow's milk. More nutpods are on the way!

As for desserts I planned on some lindt truffles after I was done with reintro, and then I was at a birthday party where I planned to make a game time decision with the cake and ended up sharing a piece with my husband. So worth it. Homemade and delicious. I did pass up pizza and pasta at the party and for my meal had salad with greek dressing and an Italian sausage in marinara.

I also had lunch at Cheesecake Factory with a friend and got the lunch size Cobb salad with blue cheese on the side and plain oil/vinegar for dressing. It was good and I didn't quite finish it. No dessert there :) 

Also got Indian takeout (my fave!) and had a chicken dish with rice and naan. For leftovers I skipped the rice and added potato to my chicken curry.

Yesterday I was off site at an all day meeting but brought my own food.

This coming week I have a couple things coming up but not near as many as last week!

• 2 weeks later...

Still hanging in there. Lost another 1.8 lbs last week, so 17.6 lbs in 8 weeks!

Been bringing my food to lunch meetings at work and skipping food/drinks at work happy hours for the time being.

I'm averaging dessert once a week and 1-2 beers a week now that I'm done with reintro. A few coffee drinks a week have milk but I'm also still using nutpods the other days! And only 1 iced latte per week!

• 2 weeks later...

Well I've been struggling the last 2 weeks with going back to old binge behaviors. It could definitely be worse, I am still doing well with breakfast and lunch but the evening witching hour has been my downfall, what's worse is that I actively plan for it and don't have my usual afternoon snack (usually 7-8 hrs between lunch & dinner for me) which makes it even harder to resist.

I think I need another Whole30. Time to start planning and getting everything ready again, looking at starting March 25 or 26.

Archived