Day 32 - Completed My 1st Whole30

Neshpesh

Well,

I did it.  Today is day 32 of my Whole30 challenge.  I haven't posted @ all during this last thirty days, however I thought it may be helpful in sharing.  So, here goes!  

In all, I was pleasantly surprised @ how easy the program became once I got through really, the first week.  Giving up alcohol, bread and cheese for 30 days seemed dang near impossible @ the time, however I was determined.  I didn't do this to loose weight, more so for personal reasons and to just say I did it; I figured I'd see some positive effects as well.  In all, I'm very pleased with the outcome of my Whole30 experience.  I learned a lot about myself and in many ways have found this process to be quite freeing and liberating on both a tangible and spiritual level.  I noticed a change in my appetite - no longer get the mid-morning and mid-afternoons cravings that leave me feeling ravenous and eating everything in sight.  The discipline of cooking my weekly meals was definitely challenging, however it fueled a whole new level of productivity in so many other areas of my life - hello color coded and organized closest!   As the days turned into weeks, I knew that this was a change I would happily welcome for life.  I lost 6.5 lbs. I feel better all around, and my confidence level is on cloud 9!  I plan to take a bit of a break (but not really, may enjoy a glass of wine and some cheese) - but start right back again on my second Whole30.  I've got a long way to go, but feel confident that with time, effort and consistency, Whole30 is the right healthy living option for me! 

Neshpesh

@ Neshpesh   Congratulations on completing your first W30! I'm on Day 11 of my first round, and your post gives motivates me to press on.

The only thing I miss, and it's only in certain situations, is having a cocktail or two. Other than that, I'm good.

I struggle with meal prep. I believe my problem is that I still have to prepare certain dishes (not W30 compliant) for my family and food for myself. It would be much easier for me if they'd eat more of the W30 compliant foods.

I can't wait to post when I've completed my first W30. :)

-Shanda

My last day on Whole 30 was yesterday and it also feels really good to say that I completed the journey. I really did not think I could give up Diet Coke or cheese for a full 30 days but actually don't even miss either. I lost 18 pounds which only leaves me with a little less then 30 left to get to my goal weight. I am going to continue using most of the principles I learned on this journey to continue losing weight. I haven't really had the energy level increase that others experience but still really happy with the results overall. Congratulations on finishing your first whole 30 and cheers to many more. 

FWIW: It has taken me a couple months of eating Whole 30ish/paleo to feel the energy "boost" -- for me it was more like a not-tired at the end of the night and not feeling sleepy in the afternoon. And just last night -- 4 months after the end of my first Whole 30 -- I actually *slept through the night*. (I usually get up at least once.) That was a HUGE achievement. I hope that continues!

The biggest thing I have learned -- as much as I heard those words in the past few years, IT IS A LIFESTYLE CHANGE!  I look at everything so much differently now, and put a lot of stuff back on the shelf after looking at the label. ["Sugar" in the first 5 ingredients? not going in my cart] And I think it's something that I can keep up.

Archived