Chitra's First Vegetarian Whole 30

Chitra

Hi Everbody!

My name is Chitra. I am a vegetarian (do not eat fish, meat, or eggs). This is my first Whole 30. I am looking for support and guidance from the community. I am very pumped! I have gained a lot of weight in the last 4 months - approximately 20 lbs and am looking to lose weight and develop a healthy eating habit. I am not going to be checking my weight until I finish Day 30.

Day 1: Feb 1st, 2017

Breakfast

Fruit bowl : Strawberries, Raspberries,Blackberries,Guava, one small Banana, one apple, 2 kiwis. 

Lunch:

Salad: Mixed greens, cucumber, avocado, carrots, cherry tomatoes

Salad Dressing: Lemon + very little Olive Oil

Snacks:

A bag of baby carrots. A small (fresh direct) packet of Pistachios

Dinner

Homemade  Baked Sweet Potato "Fries" : 1 medium sized sweet potato, drizzle of coconut oil, salt, pepper

Salad: Mixed greens, cucumber, avocado, carrots, cherry tomatoes

Salad Dressing: Lemon + very little Olive Oil

How did I fair today?  What should I be changing to make it better?

• Moderators

It's a little harder for a vegan to do this, but you're going to need to find some sort of protein. You're still going to have the best results if you stick pretty close to the meal template, just subbing whichever vegetarian protein sources you're comfortable using. This article discusses a little bit about what options you have for proteins.

In general, for anyone, vegetarian or not, you should be having lots of vegetables and not so much fruit. You've easily had an entire day's worth of fruit or maybe more in your breakfast, and breakfast is probably the worst time to have a bunch of fruit on its own -- you're coming off an eight or more hour fast, and hit your system with a bunch of sugar (not quite as bad as candy or a super-sweet Starbucks coffee, but the same basic principle). It'll spike your blood sugar, and then crash, and leave you hungry sooner and more prone to cravings.

I also wouldn't worry about limiting your olive oil, even if you're having avocado. If you happen to like your dressing with very little oil, that's fine, but if you look at the fat servings on the meal template I linked to above, you should choose a couple of those fat sources at each meal, and if sometimes you have a little more because it just sounds good with that meal, it's okay.

I doubt you'd be having two salads a day every day for the whole 30 days, but do keep in mind that sometimes they don't keep you satisfied as long, so if you find you eat your salad and are hungry two hours later, you could look at adding to it -- either use a variety of vegetables in the salad, or have some other vegetables on the side, as you did with the sweet potato at dinner.  Also, I'm not sure how different this is to what you were eating before, but keep in mind that sometimes raw vegetables are more likely to cause digestive issues than cooked, especially if you increase the volume of them you're eating by a lot, so if you find you feel bloated or gassy, you could try concentrating on cooked vegetables for a while and see if that helps.

Archived