My Whole 30 begins today!

Well, I'm starting my Whole30 today. Bought the startup guide, Got back to town from a business trip last night and went right to the supermarket for food to begin, got home, and emptied my fridge.

Like everyone else, I've tried everything before. My Crossfit coach has wanted me to try this. I'm not even telling him that I'm going to-I'd rather see his reaction as my weight goes down, and my WOD times and performance get better. Sadly, I'm 45 years old, and find myself in the worst physical and mental shape,I've ever been in my life. Severely overweight, hyperinsulinism (is that a word?), suffering from severe psoriasis for years ( I have to take humira) and just overall joint pain and aches from carrying around about 150 pounds too much on my 6' 2" frame.

Today I'm committing 100% to the program, and dropping this weight, and getting healthy. See you in 30 days-in about 30 minutes I take my beginning set of body measurements, and off I go!

I'm also going to be starting a blog to chart my Crossfit and health progress. I'll keep you posted!

I am inspired by you, Gregory. What a great attitude you have. If I were there I would give you a big hug. :) Stay strong and positive and you will do great! Many find it very helpful to utilize this forum for support all during the journey - it's pretty cool. Sounds like you are on board with that.

My best to you!

Well, today starts day 6. I've been absolutely on point so far.

Saying I'm hard to be around is an understatement. But this morning after my Crossfit WOD my coach came up to me and said he thought my face looked thinner. Now I'm off to drink 32 ounces of water and start my work day!

Keep it up Gregory! As you continue your W30, you should find that cravings and other things that make you 'hard to be around' will diminish. :) You're making a lot of positive changes and it takes time for your body to adjust. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, Summer! Thanks for checking in!

First, the bad news-I had to restart the program 13 days in. I didn't want to post about it, simply because I didn't want to be a downer for the folks on here who are successful. But, being that you checked in and all....

I badly pulled my trap and lat muscles, and I was so bummed and annoyed that I went off the program. I complained to my coach. He said nobody was going to beat me up, just get back on and do it again. I did.

The good news-

I've been back on, and I'm feeling better already. I will say this-I can REALLY get used to sleeping a full 8 hours straight through the night. As SOON as I went off the program, my sleep patterns were a disaster. I felt like crap. I was getting hayfever and sinus drip and was having trouble breathing, not to mention that I always felt like my stomach was tied in knots.. But you put up with these things when your an addict.

I've set 2 separate PR's. I've lost weight. Shirts that I couldn't wear I can wear again. It's pretty strange how much stomach bloat and inflammation becomes very apparent when it goes away! I really notice the difference-something I never did notice before BTW- of the "mind fog funk" I seem to get when I'm not eating right.

Anyway, I've been back on the program for about a week, feeling good, getting back into Crossfit (while being sure I don't re-injure myself. I have my Crossfit Level 1 Cert June 23-24, so I want to be sure I feel as good as possible before then.

Thanks for checking in! You'll see me around...

Greg

Hello and glad you checked back in, Greg!

Sorry to hear about the pulled muscles, that can be painful...and annoying! Sometimes things such as that can be trigger points for us to just throw in the towel at times, right? But, the AWESOME thing is you got back at it and are noticing the difference in doing so! I do know for me it was the simplicity/consistency and even the length of the program that made it easier as I moved along, and also to always have a "plan of attack" for food, especially if I am out and about for a day. I tried the ol' "I'll just eat when I get back home" dealio and I end up grouchy and out of patience by the time I get back home. I can't even stand myself. :) So now I plan better even if it takes a few more minutes to throw something in the cooler and in the back of my car.

Never worry about being a downer. We all stumble and have many of the same struggles. Glad you picked back up and are going strong!

Thanks for the update and we look forward to hearing more as you go!

Archived