AartiM

Day 30 done, lost 11.2 lbs!!!!

Jan 31 was my Day 30, and I have lost 11.2 lbs!!!! Super happy! 

It has been tough but one look at the weighing scale at the end of my first Whole30 month, I forgot all the miseries... I m doing it again for sure! 

Congratulations!

I'm on day 12 and feeling pretty good. I'm curious what you ate for protein. I can only eat so many eggs, so I've been having tofu and tempeh as well. Just wondering if there's something else out there.

Hey michellenyc , I did the vegan/vegetarian version. I don't eat eggs, fish or any other kind of meat, ever. My protein options were quite limited, hemp seed protein powder, tofu, beans, Indian Dahl, nuts. Lots of veggies, and roots like yams, sweet potatoes... 

i hope this helps...

Hooray! 

My day 30 is on Tuesday - excited to start adding in some more variety (and chocolate!). Even though we weren't supposed to, I've been weighing myself periodically and I'm down 10 lbs so far - very pleased with the results. 

I've considered doing a 'weekday vegetarian' thing, but with whole3o instead. Possibly do Whole30 M-F and get in some other foods on the weekends. I'm not sure how successful it would be...but willing to try it out! 

Thanks so much, AartiM! How are you doing now that the 30 days are up?  I'm vegetarian also, and I'm doing the vegetarian version (including eggs). I normally live on beans so I'm trying not to have them at all to see how I feel. Obviously I'm having grain by eating tempeh. I'll have to look into Indian Dahl. Any recommendations for the hemp seed protein powder?

michellenyc I used this hemp protein brand ... 

Manitoba 62750 Harvest Hemp Pro 70 Protein Supplement, 16 Ounce https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002CPVTH4/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apip_ATBKK4fbqqxMz. I add it to almond milk, a banana, and some strawberries or pineapple chunks. I m doing it again this month, Whole30. Didn't want to take a break just yet :) I eat beans, tofu, nuts and Indian Dahl, as my protein sources, and the hemp protein shake as well. 

Hello there!

Just a reminder that even if you're doing a vegetarian version with alternate sources of protein, it is still suggested that you follow the rules and recommendations for the program and that includes not drinking smoothies.  Regardless of whether you're a vegetarian, vegan or omnivore, our bodies process liquid food faster than chewed food and this can cause cravings, hunger etc... It is recommended that you find a way to use alternate sources of protein (or just eggs) and then follow the rest of the program.

The smoothie that is listed above is extremely high in sugar and will likely negatively impact the person consuming it.

@SugarcubeOD Oh! But I don't add any additional sugar or sugar substitutes to my protein shake, which I take just once a day. Almond milk, hemp seed protein powder and a banana ( coz without banana I am sure I won't be able to drink it at all) :( I am a true vegetarian, no eggs at all. No meat, no fish, no chicken. Only veggies, beans, tofu. Is there another brand of hemp protein which is better than this one? 

The concern is not the brand of protein, it's the liquid food... The recommendation is to eat chewable food and stay away from shakes and smoothies, even if you're a vegetarian.

On 2/7/2017 at 2:39 AM, AartiM said:

michellenyc- how did you prepare tempeh? I haven't tried it yet! Not sure how to cook it :(  Did you like it? 

I really like tempeh. It has grain in it,  so I'm not eating it everyday on Whole 30. You don't have to cook it, you can marinate it in balsamic vinegar and put it on salad. I like to cut it into cubes, add spices with a little heat and saute it until it's a light brown. Then you can eat it alone or mixed in with roasted vegetables. You can pretty much cook it however you would cook tofu. In the past (not on Whole 30), I've added it to marinara sauce on pasta. It is heartier than tofu so it's a good way to mix it up.

On 2/3/2017 at 6:31 PM, michellenyc said:

Congratulations!

I'm on day 12 and feeling pretty good. I'm curious what you ate for protein. I can only eat so many eggs, so I've been having tofu and tempeh as well. Just wondering if there's something else out there.

Michelle, I'm only on Day 2, but my plan is to use pastured eggs, hemp (I'm planning to try making hemp tofu), cashew and cashew butter, almonds and almond butter, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, nutritional yeast, plus there are a few grams in foods like avocado and roasted vegetables. I've been adding up how much I'm getting to be sure I hit the recommended 50-60 grams for my body weight, and so far, so good. I'm posting my meals at TheHolisticTable on Instagram if you want to see what I'm eating. (I'll warn you, though, I'm not a great photographer- I'm just trying to document the experience!)

Hi Aarti - Being a vegetarian i always thought whole 30 was quite impossible for me to do. Looking at your post gives me encouragement. Congratulations!!.

What did your meals look like - if you cant eat dairy, lentils n beans and eggs? 

Thanks

Malosa

@malosa - Thanks! Yeah, I don't eat eggs at all. And I stopped all dairy products too since the time I started Whole30. Vegetarians don't Hv many option left after that, no eggs no meat no fish. I did some research and found out that beans and legumes are ok with vegetarian Whole30. So my food list included beans, Indian Dahl, tofu, nuts, lots of salads, zoodles with macadamia pesto, roasted butternut squash and sweet potatoes and some soup. I absolutely love this soup... it's too good! Try it out! 

http://www.theglowingfridge.com/spicy-vegan-black-bean-soup/

I hope this helps. 

Good!  I just wanted to mention it to the thread because it can be easy on the vegetarian Whole30 to just go for any veg protein options but there are definitely some one should still avoid, such as dairy and soy to get the most out of the Whole30.  Good for you on your 45!

Usually when something like this happens, we suggest that you go back to the template and make sure you're making the meals match... sometimes we get habituated and think we're doing the template but then after a second look, find out we're skimping somewhere...  do you think that could be it?

I'll be honest, it's hard for me to give advice around vegetarian proteins because I've never eaten beans, lentils, tofu etc... and I'm an omnivore, but if you want to list your meals, definitely do so and we can see if there's a place that could use some tweaking... 

That said, are you planning on doing re-introductions at some point?  Is the plan to go to 60 or?? 

The Whole30 is an elimination based way of eating at the end of which, you systematically reintroduce the removed foods to see how they affect you.  It's the 2nd part of the program.

Lots of people go for longer periods of time if they have some serious health and gut issues to overcome...

What is the reason you want to go to 60 and then take a break and start again?  Wouldn't it be better to figure out what the WholeAArtiM plan looks like, which is the goal of the program.

There are some articles you can look up... I can't link them here for you right now but you can google Whole30 plus the following:

reintroduction

whole365

Riding Your Own Bike

@SugarcubeOD I was 171 lbs when I started Whole30 and now I m at 157.4 lbs :) Weightloss was not the main reason though. I have blood pressure and a family history of diabetics. That's the main reason I started this plan, coz I realized how careless I had gotten over the years about my food :( 

Eversince I started Whole30 I found myself to be more energetic, less cranky and peaceful. And the cherry on top is the compliments I Hv been getting about myself from my family and friends :) I initially thought it will be difficult for me to do the first 30 days, but I managed and got inspired to do 60! 

I m still feeling better, except for the a bit more hungrier part, but my main fear is that, if I stop this plan I'll go back to all the negatives, like health and weight gain and overall  stuff, I am working really hard to maintain this 'nirvana' kind of my mental and physical being, and m scared to lose it :( 

I had read about the reintroduction in the book, but it slipped my mind somehow! I'll go back and read It again.

meanwhile, any advise on the thoughts I just mentioned above and the reintroduction, will be highly appreciated! Thanks.