AartiM

Day 30 done, lost 11.2 lbs!!!!

It's not uncommon to be scared to leave the rules and black and white-ness of the Whole30 but we can't live like this forever.  You can make a personalized plan that is 'like' Whole30 tho.... Do the re-introductions so at least you know that the cupcake is or is not worth it on your birthday and then make a plan for yourself.  My plan for instance includes being okay with sugar in ketchup (but I"m not okay with sugar where it doesn't belong, like say, on dried fruit).  I never ever EVER eat soy or soy based products but a piece of cheese on a burger out with friends is okay. Cheese in my house is a no no... see where I"m going?  You don't have to back slide into terrible habits or weight gain, you get the opportunity to use what you've learned and make your own plan.

If you feel better eating only protein, veggies and fat, then make that your plan, but as above, you've got to figure out how to live in the real world and sticking to the extremely strict rules of the Whole30 forever is not sustainable and doesn't provide you with ownership over your eating plan because you'll always be in the headspace of 'I can't have that on this plan', rather than 'I choose not to eat that'... 

Go back and read the articles I suggested, especially riding your own bike... and again for the hunger thing, double check you're actually on template (which you can use forever to build proper meals, regardless of what your own plan looks like)

I'm Day 1 of my second vegetarian Whole 30, first one completed Nov-Dec '16.  Do be careful about re-introduction.  I was travelling overseas last time so had to rush some of the introductions and then it made it hard to see what affect they had.  Also i have found that i've resumed old habits quite quickly, esp around bread and portions sizes being too big.  I think you are spot on extending it and I'm hoping to complete 60 days this time, we shall see how that goes.  I think that the longer period will just give you time to embed your healthy changes and if you do an extended re-introduction you will better see what your body can cope with and what you really need to avoid for wellbeing.

@JoyByName Thank you are your insights! After my first 30 days I felt great and it inspired me to continue till 60 :) My whole60 plan includes Dahl and beans ( in moderation) so I won't need any specific reintroduction for those as such. I plan on reintroducing dairy first and see how it goes...

what are your thoughts about brown rice? 

I reintroduced everything, diary, grain, gluten, sugar, but due to the way i did that it was hard to see what impact they had.  I think that bread is the worst for me but i do so love it!  And of course sugar is in everything.  I didn't particularly think that beans and grains (cous cous, rice etc) caused too much problem for me and i think i might use some beans for this Whole30 as a vegetarian variation and have it be more like my normal way of eating.  I found it easier than i thought to follow Whole30 rules last time and hard to carry on eating well without that framework when i stopped.  

Re the rice, my guess is that some will have problems with rice and others won't.  Just re-introduce on your grain day when you break from the Whole30 but make sure you have  Whole 30 days before and after and take the time to notice how it affects you, that was my downfall, i didn't always have 2 days between reintroductions and didn't notice its affects enough to draw conclusions.  Good luck, its so good when you get to the end and see all the benefits for your hard work,

On 2/15/2017 at 4:34 PM, SugarcubeOD said:

Good!  I just wanted to mention it to the thread because it can be easy on the vegetarian Whole30 to just go for any veg protein options but there are definitely some one should still avoid, such as dairy and soy to get the most out of the Whole30.  Good for you on your 45!

In the vegan section of The Whole 30 book, it says that your best choices are minimally processed, fermented soy products like tempeh or natto, and organic edamame. It says you can also include non-fermented, organic soy like extra-firm tofu, and various legumes. Is that not true anymore? I've been eating tempeh and organic extra firm tofu without any problems.

On 2/14/2017 at 7:11 PM, SarahMK said:

Michelle, I'm only on Day 2, but my plan is to use pastured eggs, hemp (I'm planning to try making hemp tofu), cashew and cashew butter, almonds and almond butter, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, nutritional yeast, plus there are a few grams in foods like avocado and roasted vegetables. I've been adding up how much I'm getting to be sure I hit the recommended 50-60 grams for my body weight, and so far, so good. I'm posting my meals at TheHolisticTable on Instagram if you want to see what I'm eating. (I'll warn you, though, I'm not a great photographer- I'm just trying to document the experience!)

I've been eating eggs, tempeh and organic extra firm tofu without any problems. I also eat cashews if I'm at work late and get hungry. I haven't added up my protein but probably should. I just read in the Whole 30 book that they recommend you aim for as little protein as possible because they don't want you eating any more plant-based protein sources than you have to. And you should eat more carbs and fat to cover the missing calories. For women they recommend 46 grams a day so you're in the ballpark aleady. Today is day 30 for me and I may start adding in legumes just for variety. I just read that quinoa is okay on too so I'll cut back on the tofu.

16 hours ago, michellenyc said:

I've been eating eggs, tempeh and organic extra firm tofu without any problems. I also eat cashews if I'm at work late and get hungry. I haven't added up my protein but probably should. I just read in the Whole 30 book that they recommend you aim for as little protein as possible because they don't want you eating any more plant-based protein sources than you have to. And you should eat more carbs and fat to cover the missing calories. For women they recommend 46 grams a day so you're in the ballpark aleady. Today is day 30 for me and I may start adding in legumes just for variety. I just read that quinoa is okay on too so I'll cut back on the tofu.

Ohhh, quinoa?  If thats a goer or is that part of your reintroductions?  Day 4 and I'm salivating about all the food i cant have.

On 2/22/2017 at 2:07 PM, JoyByName said:

Ohhh, quinoa?  If thats a goer or is that part of your reintroductions?  Day 4 and I'm salivating about all the food i cant have.

It's one of the protein sources you can use in the 30 days. Here's the quote: "Pseudo-cereals like quinoa are another gluten-free protein source, and are less likely to cause disruption to the gut or immune system than other grains."

It does get easier, for sure. I stopped craving sugar and haven't even thought about soda in a month even though I drank at least one bottle of diet soda every day before. I did start dreaming about eating things and would get upset in my dream that I went off plan. My official 30th day was two days ago, but I'm still eating the same. I plan to do the slow reintroduction and just have something special for an occasion or if I really want it. I lost 13 pounds in a month and want to continue.

I know you are not supposed to do it but I weighed myself at 2 weeks and haven't lost any weight (doing non-veg), 1-2 pounds is within normal fluctuation. Disappointed even though I know weight loss is not the reason to do it. Any thoughts as to why? Thanks. 

On 2/24/2017 at 1:42 PM, AartiM said:

@michellenyc Congratulations! 30 days done! 

Thanks, AartiM! I'm pretty much still doing it, but just added in a few things like a little milk and sweetener in my coffee and sometimes ketchup. I'm feeling pretty good so I don't want to mess with that! How are you?

Day 25 now, not going as good in terms of weight loss as last year.  Still seem to have some bloating and not such a flat stomach as in Nov, but have added beans (chick peas and black eyed beans a couple of times a week this time around.  Am planning on adding some cheese on 1st reintroduction as sons birthday on 20th and is pizza (i get cheese on my salad!!!) but am going to continue as Whole30 as is realistic in family life, to see if i can build on my gains so far.  I think last week was a bit cheating in that i was eating too many nuts and having those paleo date and fruit bars and this might account for things.  It is interesting to see how we can cheat ourselves with Whole30 acceptable foods and do a little pretend that we're doing it properly!!!!

Have you guys added in beans and grains yet?

On 2/24/2017 at 11:31 PM, Sofya said:

I know you are not supposed to do it but I weighed myself at 2 weeks and haven't lost any weight (doing non-veg), 1-2 pounds is within normal fluctuation. Disappointed even though I know weight loss is not the reason to do it. Any thoughts as to why? Thanks. 

I weighed myself when i did Whole30 last year and thought that it wouldn't matter as i only weigh myself occasionally and am not normally hung up on it as my scales aren't accurate.  But i found that i got a bit obsessed with the weighing and then was hopping on the scales really often and was feeling good or bad depending on what i saw which wasn't helpful to me, so i can see why they advise not weighing yourself.  

I can't offer any advice on doing it with meat as am vegetarian and this is the vegetarian forum, may be post into the main Forum for tips as that is checked more often and they can offer advice about the amount of meat protein you are getting etc.  I can only say that when i ate just fruit, veg, eggs and tofu i did see amazing weight loss, this time round i've added beans and this seems to have slowed the weight loss.  Good luck with your Whole30 and hope you see the results you are after!