I have a Harney & Sons tea that is chocolate tea. The only questionable ingredient was "natural flavors", so I wrote the company and asked them what that meant. They said they use a natural chocolate flavoring that is an oil. So my question is, is chocolate oil compliant? 

• Moderators

In general, natural flavors are okay. I'm not really sure how you make a chocolate oil, but the thinking is if they added sugar or MSG or major allergens, they'd have to say so on the label.

Of course, if you drink it and it somehow miraculously tastes just like chocolate cake, and you find yourself dreaming of this tea, or not drinking actual water because of it, or craving other chocolates or sweets because of it, or something like that, then you'd probably want to set it aside for a while.

• 4 weeks later...

We all love chocolate. Almost anything tastes better with it. Chocolate Oil has a rich, full flavor that can be added to hard candy, frostings, cookies, chocolates and more. It is unsweetened and highly concentrated, so a little goes a long way. It's also fat-free and sugar-free. :)

Archived