Can i have balsamic vinegar?

Emw30

• Moderators
3 hours ago, MichelleMarie said:

Most of the balsamic vinegars contain sugar. I thought therefore balsamic is not compliant.

Some may have added sugar, and those are not compliant. But there are definitely some that do not have added sugar or sweeteners, and that only have naturally occurring, not added, sulfites. 

Be sure you're reading the ingredients list, not the nutrition information panel. Many things contain naturally occurring sugars -- any fruit or vegetable will, for instance -- and those products will show grams of sugar in the nutrition information, but if they don't have added sugar or other non-whole30 ingredients listed, then they would be fine to have.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I know this is a year after, but I found one tonight that was rather odd.. I was looking at "Lucini Everyday Balsamic Vinegar of Modena"

The picture of the ingredients seemed plain enough

image.png.0821674525c59ff974498859c4cf11a4.png

It seemed rather straightforward until I happened to scroll down and Raley's just lists the two ingredients and fails to mention Sulfites. I was price checking so looked at Instacart, but they lists it as it also having Caramel Color which is not listed anywhere. Fredmeyer goes even further and along with Caramel Coloring it lists Sulfur Dioxide ( as a Preservative ).  Again that is NOWHERE on the bottle label that I can see.. they follow this up with a disclaimer that, "Actual product packaging and materials may contain additional and/or different ingredient, nutritional, or proper usage information than the information displayed on our website."  It feels like some sites just almost do a blanket "ingredients list" without really looking as what is in stuff.  

Lucini's website states what is printed on the label... I think I am going to trust them and not the store.  I considered Pompeian Balsamic Vinegar as I usually use because when you look at the ingredients it just says "Balsamic Vinegar 6% acidity" without any other information. 

12 hours ago, Saiee said:

I know this is a year after, but I found one tonight that was rather odd.. I was looking at "Lucini Everyday Balsamic Vinegar of Modena"

The picture of the ingredients seemed plain enough

image.png.0821674525c59ff974498859c4cf11a4.png

It seemed rather straightforward until I happened to scroll down and Raley's just lists the two ingredients and fails to mention Sulfites. I was price checking so looked at Instacart, but they lists it as it also having Caramel Color which is not listed anywhere. Fredmeyer goes even further and along with Caramel Coloring it lists Sulfur Dioxide ( as a Preservative ).  Again that is NOWHERE on the bottle label that I can see.. they follow this up with a disclaimer that, "Actual product packaging and materials may contain additional and/or different ingredient, nutritional, or proper usage information than the information displayed on our website."  It feels like some sites just almost do a blanket "ingredients list" without really looking as what is in stuff.  

Lucini's website states what is printed on the label... I think I am going to trust them and not the store.  I considered Pompeian Balsamic Vinegar as I usually use because when you look at the ingredients it just says "Balsamic Vinegar 6% acidity" without any other information. 

Go with what the bottle says. Stores and other websites can copy and paste random information from other places or just throw in information from other products if someone doesn't feel like researching what that particular product actually lists. Always go with what the label on the product in your hand says. 

Archived