When to incorporate carb dense vegetables

Runner4fun

So, if I may add to this question.  I am confused because the meal template, on page 194, tells one to eat the carb dense vegetables post work out, but then on page 196 the 7 day meal plan incorporates carb dense vegetables (butternut squash).  Why is this and am I reading this correctly?  

• Moderators

Whole30 is not necessarily a low-carb way of eating, though it's obviously lower carb than the standard American diet that includes grains and sugar. You could conceivably eat carb-dense vegetables post workout, and also have some in regular meals at other times during the day. This would be absolutely fine.

This article discusses the post-workout stuff and why that includes carb-dense vegetables.

Most people seem to do best if they have a fist-sized serving of starchy vegetables each day. Some people feel better with more, some need a little less. If you're active, if you're prone to depression or anxiety, or if you're a female who is nursing, pregnant, or in the week or so leading up to your period, you may find you need more. If you're very sedentary or actively trying to achieve ketosis, you may need less. But for most people, a fist-sized serving a day is a good place to start, and then see how you feel after trying that for a week or so.

Regardless of how much starchy vegetable you eat each day, do try to incorporate a variety of vegetables throughout your Whole30.

Shannon, that is helpful to know and I appreciate you sharing.  Today is my first day on Whole30 and just want to make sure I am understaning this all correctly.  I do work out 2-3 times a week and figured I could incorporate the carb dense foods on those days...although I did make the stuffed peppers recipe that had butternut squash in it...it tasted very good by the way!!

Archived