Hi all I was diagnosed with Graves back in 2015 but reckon I had it for 4-5 years! I tried to heal myself without anti thyroid drugs and used (still use) various supplements, herbs and homeopathy! I tried cutting out gluten and eating whole foods including grains but no sugar! I was still getting bloated and feeling ill plus thyroid levels would not budge! At one point my t4 was 98 (Uk). So on discussion with my Dr it was agreed I would take less than the endo wanted me to of carbimazole (which I really did not want to take). So with a very small dose of that (plus homeopathy to manage the side effects) and switching to the whole30 I've managed to come back into range! :)) my TSH is still lagging but that will come! I'd really like to stop the carbimazole soon and wonder if any of you out there have bashed your hyperthyroidism into remission with the whole30 and what your story is? Thanks ! Ps I failed my first two w30s on day 28 and day 21! Today is day 29 for me whoop!!

I had Graves' disease almost two decades ago. I chose to have my thyroid irradiated. I have partial thyroid functioning and have been on thyroid replacement since. 

I support holistic approaches to conditions. But regulating your thyroid require precision and so I strongly urge you to find a good endocrinologist and to follow his/her medical advice. Proper thyroid functioning is critical for your health and well-being. Diet can not solve everything. 

Hi Art Fossil, I will definitely not be having my thyroid irradiated but that's my choice hey :). Not sure I understand your comment? I see an endocrinologist! In fact I'm seeing him next Thursday and and taking what dosage he suggested at the moment :). Along my holistic meds! Hope you are good!

2 hours ago, Karma Way said:

Hi Art Fossil, I will definitely not be having my thyroid irradiated but that's my choice hey :). Not sure I understand your comment? I see an endocrinologist! In fact I'm seeing him next Thursday and and taking what dosage he suggested at the moment :). Along my holistic meds! Hope you are good!

It was the "less than the endo wanted me to take" that raised a flag for me. I mistakenly thought that you were consulting with another doctor and not following the advice of your endochrinologist. Also with "bashing your hyperthyroidism into remission with the whole30" which probably isn't possible and is too much to put onto Whole30.

My Graves was severe. There was no more "wait and see" for me. I knew I'd only have health insurance for a few more months and that then the future was uncertain. (I was a starving artist and about to do a three-month residency and was facing unemployment after that.) I didn't want to take the drugs for Graves which were too expensive and had too many side effects. I knew that thyroid replacement therapy, which I'd probably need was cheap. So for me, the choice was easy (radioactive iodine).

I will add that nutrition AND stress reduction AND other healthy lifestyle choices are especially valuable for those of us who may be prone to autoimmune diseases. Whole30 will give you a great starting point.

Archived