JenHZ Feb 2017

JenHZ

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

today I am going to take a face photo to see if there are any skin effects from w30

I weighed 215.8 pounds

too much for 5 foot 1 inch, stops me from doing things where I have to pull up with my arms. also on bp meds and veins too hidden to give blood

stomach is 50 inches

meal 4 prosciutto ( not enough protein) pumpkin soup, dry roasted salted almonds, baby carrots, mocktail of pureed frozen strawberries, lemon juice and  seltzer for super Bowl.  4:40

probably too snacky  will see how hungry I am by 8

acorn squash in oven

Hi Jen,

I'm starting Whole30 tomorrow and I've love to be part of this thread! I haven't weighed myself yet but I am planning on doing that tomorrow.

Today was a heck of a lot of food prep. I work long hours during the week so I try to make meals ahead of time. For breakfast this week I made little banana and egg omelets with some vanilla. For lunch this week I made a spaghetti squash casserole which yielded much less than I thought it would so I am going to supplement my lunches with a banana and a lara bar and see how I feel. If I'm still hungry I will pick up some almonds and some carrots to snack on through the day. For dinner for a few nights I made a pretty big shepherd's pie with rutabagas instead of potatoes on top. Whenever I run out of the shepherd's pie I have chicken I am going to bake with ingredients for a garlic marinade, and a ton of vegetables to roast.

I'm going to try to update every day with how I feel. I've been so drained at work lately and I've also been having some stomach problems so I'm excited to reset my system and break my sugar addiction!

sure anyone is welcome to post here

your prep sounds delicious

are you on one of the threads under"join the Whole 30" too? I am going to post in a couple. 2/6 threads until I find a good fit.

meal 4 time got away from me so had a different kind of sausage, acorn squash with coconut oil, chard with onion olive oil and vinegar. Followed with kombucha and then herbal tea.

school cancelled for snow tomorrow so more time to cook.

I am not under that thread but I will definitely be looking around. I would love to find a good support system for the program. I did it a few years ago and it helped enormously to talk to people going through the same thing.

Today I weighed myself and I was at 199.2 lbs. I haven't had breakfast yet, but I am excited for my little banana omelets. I will be snacking on them cold during first or second period today. 

guessing you are a teacher Carmen?

didn't get to breakfast until 1 hour and 15 minutes after I got up. 8:30

meal 1 scrambled eggs with mushrooms cooked in olive oil, green beans, baked apple with a little coconut oil

very filling now but hope it had enough fat to hold me till at least 12:15

did get a photo taken last night so I can see if face shape changes or any change in redness or blemishes

and despite snacky nature of meal 3 I didn't' get hungry until 7:30

going to have black coffee in a bit if headache returns

I am a teacher! Are you? I noticed you had a school snow day. 

Lunch was tasty but I'm still a little bit hungry. I had the spaghetti squash casserole and a banana. I think I am about ready for a lara bar to get me through until I get home. I'm thinking about making a juice for tomorrow for some extra sustenance during the day so we will see how that goes. I found a recipe that combines spinach, kale, lemon, apples, carrots and cucumber.

I'm feeling a little bit tired but I'm attributing that to my lack of sleep last night. 

no it's my kid who has the snow day, but I get one too

I think it is extra hard for teachers and people who have scheduled lunch breaks that might have no relation to when your body really needs food.  if you can get by with "juice" in your classroom but not solid food then that could be helpful.  not as satisfying as something you can chew but you have to do what you can.

I wasn't actually very hungry by lunch time, took an hour to  eat, started at 12;30

Meal 2 beef burger, creamy Asian vinaigrette, apple onion sauce, spinach    - actually a delicious combo I thought the garlic in dressing and onion in apple sauce might conflict

I see one NSV listed is "no more under eye circles"  I am not aiming for that one.  every one in my family has them regardless of degree of health.  fortunately I have no itches or patches to improve, not even my usual winter "itchy knee."  like wise I don't have any dimpled skin I notice though I don't' spend a lot of time looking over my backside.

going to make mashed sweet potatoes and see what else I can make without going to grocery store.  have shrimp for dinner and mixed up marinade but wont' marinate till closer to time to cook

I was really hungry for meal 3 but waited until 4;30 though I didn't get much done in that last half hour

lox(sugar free), mashed cinnamon sweet potatoes, half a pear, small handful of dry roasted salted almonds

really need to get some extra protein cooked for meal 3

By the time I left work today I was starving. I had my lara bar after class ended before a meeting with a parent and by the time I got home my stomach was grumbling. I had a fair portion of my shepherd's pie, an avocado and an orange. I'm trying to find the energy to make a batch of hard-boiled eggs to snack on when I get hungry. I also need to find a deli meat without additives that I can snack on as well to get some protein and more energy when I need it.

Right now my only snacks are clementines, avocados, and carrots which simply are not filling if I don't make enough. I also have lara bars but I don't want to eat more than one a day. I'm exhausted; just completely drained. I hope it isn't day two kicking in already because then I will be even more tired tomorrow. I'm honestly excited for my energy to get back in gear just so meal prep is easier to handle. 

I'm thinking about searching online for some whole30 compliant marinades. I had planned on making them myself but I don't honestly know if I will have enough energy. I can't believe how tired I am. I think I'm going to bed soon. At 6:30 that's the earliest I've ever crashed.

• Moderators

Have y'all seen the meal template? You'll definitely get the best results if you try to make your meals match that -- lots of vegetables, 1-2 palm-sized portions of protein, and then pick a couple of the fat options listed, although often the fat you cook in stays in the pan and doesn't get eaten, so usually plan on more than just that. Fruit should be more an occasional extra thing, focus more on the vegetables. For the first week or so, as you're getting used to this, you might want to pack more than you think you'll need when you're taking meals with you. If you don't eat it all at lunch time, you've automatically got leftovers for a snack later if you need it.

If you need to eat between meals, try to have a combination of protein, fat, and vegetables, or at least two of the three.

If you're often on the go and need to carry something with you, olives, carrot sticks, individual packages of premade guacamole (Wholly Guacamole has some varieties that are compliant), pouches or cans of tuna or salmon (don't forget to take a can opener if you need it), compliant jerky or something like Epic bars work.  If you have an insulated bag, you can do leftovers. If you have a thermos type container, you could do soup.

really hungry at 7 but got better by dinner time at 8

Meal 4 shrimp in Latin marinade ( olive oil), lots of green beans, 1/2 fist mashed sweet potatoes with cinnamon and coconut oil, kombucha after

this marinade was from the Whole30 book.  there are a ton of easy marinades out there to make.  or any oil and vinegar salad dressing is usually fine too.

12 hours ago, ShannonM816 said:

Have y'all seen the meal template? You'll definitely get the best results if you try to make your meals match that -- lots of vegetables, 1-2 palm-sized portions of protein, and then pick a couple of the fat options listed, although often the fat you cook in stays in the pan and doesn't get eaten, so usually plan on more than just that. Fruit should be more an occasional extra thing, focus more on the vegetables. For the first week or so, as you're getting used to this, you might want to pack more than you think you'll need when you're taking meals with you. If you don't eat it all at lunch time, you've automatically got leftovers for a snack later if you need it.

If you need to eat between meals, try to have a combination of protein, fat, and vegetables, or at least two of the three.

If you're often on the go and need to carry something with you, olives, carrot sticks, individual packages of premade guacamole (Wholly Guacamole has some varieties that are compliant), pouches or cans of tuna or salmon (don't forget to take a can opener if you need it), compliant jerky or something like Epic bars work.  If you have an insulated bag, you can do leftovers. If you have a thermos type container, you could do soup.

Thank you Sharon! I was one hundred percent sure I would have enough food yesterday so I packed extra snacks as more of an afterthought not realizing how much I would need it. That was not a smart move on my part. I'm taking your advice tomorrow and I'm going to the store tonight to get things necessary to make snacks that have the protein, veggie and fat ration. Is almond butter and celery sticks a good snack? Or is that too much fat or not enough vegetable?

I feel like I'm hitting the recommended vegetable portions but my protein is severely lacking, and boy did I feel it yesterday. I'm making hardboiled eggs tonight to supplement the food I already prepped this weekend.

One more question Sharon, where do sweet potatoes fall under the line of vegetable, protein and fat? I have a bunch I haven't cooked yet, but I remember from the first time I did whole30, a few days ago, they were very filling. 

I'll definitely have to research the marinades. I went online last night just to see if there were any relatively inexpensive ones I could buy just for the week but I could not justify spending fifteen dollars on marinade, no matter how good it tasted, especially considering I can make one at home for a fraction of the cost. I'm thinking about making one tonight and mixing it with a bunch of chicken I can keep in the freezer until I need it for an easy meal. 

I did not feel good at all in the middle of the night. Wow, did I feel that "hangover." I'm already feeling so much better, though still not great, I'm looking forward to my body purging all of the toxins I filled it with this past weekend, so I can get back to a relative normal. 

I haven't eaten yet this morning. My stomach is still churning a little bit. I'm going to supplement my egg and banana with some carrots so I get a little vegetable this morning with my protein, though I need to figure out a good fat I can eat for breakfast with it. I'm thinking avocado. 

Avocado is very soothing to my stomach any time of day.

day 3 Tuesday 2/7/17

Meal 1 turkey, butternut squash, apple, spinach hash

bigger portion than it looked when I packaged it, so I think enough veggies.  1/4 lb ground turkey

the spices are indeed interesting and apparent but not too much for meal 1

another snow day here, really ice, so cabin fever may be an issue 

• Moderators

@Carmen Azcona celery and almond butter is okay for a snack.  

Sweet potatoes are a vegetable. They're a starchy vegetable, and the general recommendation for starchy vegetables is that most people seem to do well with about a fist-sized serving each day. Some people need more, particularly people who are active, who are prone to depression or anxiety, or women who are nursing, pregnant, or in the week or so leading up to their period. Basically, they're fine to have, but be sure you have other vegetables as well.

meal 2 12:30

1 1/2 aidell's sausage, leek pepper soup, acorn squash 1 fist with ghee

so glad  all the things we have frozen in the last year are W30 compliant,  I am still hoarding some pumpkin soup in the freezer for a really desperate night

I was really hungry feeling at 11:30 so I had a black coffee with caffeine.  think I am just bored washing dishes and not going out.

make  shepard's pie for meal 4

poach chicken for meal 3

roast garlic

make salmon sweet potato bites for post work out food

eventually make cilantro "pesto" sauce

Ate my little egg banana omelets again this morning. I'm sick of them already. Today I was basically forcing them down. This is not a recipe I am going to be trying again. I had my spaghetti squash casserole during lunch time and I'm still loving it. This is a recipe I will make again and again in the future though I will be adding more meat, and some other vegetables to balance it out better. I am way less hungry today then I was yesterday and I can't tell if it's because my body just doesn't want to eat after being sick last night, or because I ate a hefty portion of food last night for dinner.

Excited to go to the store after work to pick up some almond butter, celery, deli meats, and other vegetables and proteins I can snack on easily at work. I have a mini-fridge in my classroom, and can usually steal in snacks when my students are working independently though teaching has definitely conditioned me to eating at certain times during the day. 

I was reading more about lara bars, and how they are compliant though not recommended because of a lack of protein so I'm looking at ways I can combine them with a protein source for an emergency snack. I have an event tomorrow that I'm worried about. It's not an eating event but it's occurring during my normal dinner hours and I don't have enough time between work and the event to go home and eat. 

I'm deciding if I want to bring my dinner to work as well and eat before I leave or pick up something on the way. There is a burger joint on my way that is compliant if I take out the sauce and cheese and have my burger protein style. I did it a couple of times last time I did whole30 so that's always a prospect, though the protein and vegetable ration isn't great. I might just bring extra vegetables to supplement it.

Can you send me the recipe for the salmon sweet potato bites? Those sounds delicious. :)

Thank you! I'm feeling tired today but that's normal after work.

I got some things from the store which I'm excited about! I picked up olives, almond butter, deli turkey and chicken, celery and eggs.

I made a huge batch of hardboiled eggs and snacked on avocado, Turkey and carrots. Gonna have dinner in a little bit. I'm hoping my body continues to recover. My gut still is a bit funky.

Woke up super tired today. It was really tempting to just stay in bed for a little longer but I dragged myself out of bed. For dinner last night I had another helping of shepherd's pie. My stomach is still a little funky but all the pain is gone, thank goodness. 

I won't be back home for over twelve hours so I packed breakfast, lunch, and a variety of snacks to get me through until I get a late dinner. My lunch bag is super heavy so I hope that I have enough to get me through today. I definitely packed more than I think I can eat. 

Archived