Let's talk about Thanksgiving

I had one famous client in New York that would come into my restraunt almost every Thursday, with party of 10-15 and order nothing but crab cakes and French fries in duck fat for everyone.... If you wanted to be seen with him, that's what you ate .... Not that anyone complained.

They weren't on the menu, but I looked very forward to Thursday night fries!!!!

I had one famous client in New York that would come into my restraunt almost every Thursday, with party of 10-15 and order nothing but crab cakes and French fries in duck fat for everyone.... If you wanted to be seen with him, that's what you ate .... Not that anyone complained.

They weren't on the menu, but I looked very forward to Thursday night fries!!!!

I would so agree to that meal. :) Weird that he insisted on that for everyone though.

The fact that I am cooking so much food for so many people, and being the picky eater that I am, I'm making everything as I usually do (full sugar, full fat, whatever, as according to my recipes). By the time I'm done cooking, I only eat a small plate of veggies and turkey, and am not too hungry anyways, so I'm not worried about it.

I know this doesn't help anyone, but I feel pretty good not having anxiety about this typically large meal :)

I won't be done with my Whole 30 until December 1, so I may celebrate my completion by having a small paleo-approved slice of pumpkin pie then :)

Good luck everyone!

This year, it is only hubby, me and the little guy--our older two are off with friends and so we are just keeping it small-ish! I have a hard time doing a small holiday but here goes!

Main dish is game hens with lemon, rosemary and garlic. Sides are the roasted brussel sprouts, squash and cranberries, warm spinach, prosciutto and pistachio salad from here, green beans almondine and garlic smashed potatoes for hubby.

No rolls are W30 approved, sorry! Additionally, if anybody posts a recipe or link to a recipe, it will be deleted.

Since you're out of your W30, I'd encourage you to ride your own bike and find an acceptable middle ground on a holiday like thanksgiving.

Hi! looking for some help w/re to the stuffing recipe on the Whole 9 Thanksgiving page. Don't understand if the walnuts should be ground and then soaked overnight or other way around. I just ground 1 cup and it's pretty dense. Don't know how/why to soak and rinse w/o losing thru the sieve. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Starting Day 1 tomorrow (eek).

Hi! looking for some help w/re to the stuffing recipe on the Whole 9 Thanksgiving page. Don't understand if the walnuts should be ground and then soaked overnight or other way around. I just ground 1 cup and it's pretty dense. Don't know how/why to soak and rinse w/o losing thru the sieve. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Starting Day 1 tomorrow (eek).

Usually the order of presentation is the order of preparation, so in this case you would measure first and then grind and soak. The soaking will add water -- increasing bulk and making them easier to sieve -- and will remove some of the bitterness.

If you don't soak, the nuts will retain bitterness. You should be fine using a fine mesh sieve. I used to rinse quinoa all the time without losing any, and those grains are tiny. If you are concerned, rinse over a bowl so you can see what is getting through.

Well a friend came to visit so I caved and decided to cook... I have a chicken slathered in a ghee/fresh garlic, rosemary and lemon concoction in the oven as I type.. and it smells divine...side dishes will be a mix of collards/mustards, green beans, mashed sweet taters(yes I said taters, southern after all :P) and pumpkin pie for desert(not WHOLE30 but will have coconut whipped cream as a topper)! So my only non compliant item is the pie and I don't feel bad at all about it!

Happy Thanksgiving Day!

I am going to be noshing on this kale and brussels sprouts salad for the next three days, it's such a delicious way to reload-up on the vegetables!!

http://theprimepursuit.com/2012/11/20/kale-and-brussels-sprouts-salad/

That looks so good. I like the idea of the thinly sliced brussel sprouts. Great way to use the huge bag of organic kale that I buy at Costco.

Archived