Weight gain - can anyone help me understand this?? Could REALLY use advice from the pros.

hyram

So right upfront: I faithfully followed the Whole30 food plan completely 100% with no slips for all  34 days (a restart in there) but I had trouble giving up my dinner wine, which I drank less of, but clearly is not fully with the program. I did not weigh myself until I  yesterday when I restarted totally, and was horrified to find that rather than losing the 5# I had hoped, I had GAINED 5#.  So 100% whole30 diet and less alcohol. 

At best I knew I compromise my results, and probably end up only staying the same weight, but I don't know how to understand gaining weight. And am frankly a bit terrified to gain another 5#. I was, what I would consider, a pretty healthy eater before. Maybe not so regular about the food intake (i.e. an apple and a piece of cheese for breakfast sometimes if pressed for time) but mostly non-red meat seafood or chicken, no junk food, no soda, no fruit juices, rare deserts etc. 

Should I give this another try?? Or just keep doing what I was doing? I had gained 5-7 # over the last year and was hoping to lose some of it, although I understand Whole30 is not a "diet" (although in addition to understanding and valuing the science behind it, it  frankly, also looked more fun than how I was eating before. Full permission and better for me to eat 1/2 avocado a day! What could be better?and no?)

I only just finished my 1st whole30 and would never claim to be a pro, but I do know W30 is not a weight loss plan. I get it, I was bummed I only lost a few lbs. However, my hormones were so out of wack from years of yo-yo dieting that it is really not surprising I lost so little. Did you have any other non-scale victories that you can celebrate? I had quite a few. I finished W30 on 1/26 and I have lost more weight during this reintroduction period than I did during the W30. All of that being said, I don't think you can technically say you did a whole 30 if you drank alcohol. Again, I get it, I like to drink. Heck, I planned my W30 in order to be finished in time for a parade so I could drink. If I can give up alcohol for 30 days almost anyone can :PPerhaps try it again sans the wine and see how it goes? 

• Moderators

Okay, first, you did not do a Whole30, you did your own plan that was based on Whole30 principles. This is not the same thing.

Usually when people come concerned about not losing weight or gaining weight, we ask them to see a few typical days worth of eating including portion sizes, specific veggies, protein and fat and water intake, sleep, meal timing etc... If you would like to post that, we can see if we can help you, but it's really difficult for the Whole30 forum moderators who are volunteers to coach people through their results when an actual Whole30 has not taken place.

Thank you both and fair enough.

Would have just restarted and not bothered posting this but am concerned that I seemed to be eating healthy food but more fat than usual - healthy and 100% as it was - and gaining more weight in a month than in what might usually take months if not a year or two. And I completely understand that this is not a diet and did not expect that. Just expected to at least stay at least stable even if not a perfect 100%.

More than a bit gun shy - I have never weighted this much although still wearing the same clothes - but will give it another try. 

SugarcubeOD here are todays meal details: 

6: 30am  black coffee 1 cup

7:30 breakfast -- 1.5 TBSP clarified butter with ~ a cup of mushrooms sautéed + 3 c mixed greens added and  wilted and 2 eggs added to this. This is pretty much my everyday breakfast last 30 days except when I did 2 poached eggs over wilted greens + 1/4 avocado. 

10 am  - small apple (have been feeling like I am not eating quite enough fruit) and 1 c black coffee (two is all I pretty much ever have and never after 11 am)

noon - lunch -- bowl of greens with homemade vinaigrette + 1/2 can tuna + 1/2 small avocado. I either usually do this for lunch or more usually protein and veggie leftovers from dinner the night before with either a salad or fruit. Or homemade soup + salad.

6 pm  dinner -- roast chicken (portion palm sized), steamed red potatoes with a little olive oil ( probably 1 TBSP for what turned out 3 portions, one of which I ate)  and a fair amount of steamed green beans with 1/2 tsp clarified butter. This is also a very typical dinner from the last 30 days. Or homemade soup with protein, veggies and sometimes the recommended amount of coconut milk and salad or a W30 approved homemade chili and salad. 

No alcohol. Definitely skipping it this 30 days. Water and herb tea for fluids.

Also no dessert or anything after dinner. I normally don't eat dessert at all, or if I do it is either a nectarine or 1/2 RXBar with a few almonds or macadamia nuts. 

Would be grateful if you can provide any suggestions for how not to gain any more weight. I have followed the guidelines not to adjust the fat amount, but if I had to guess, I would think that it might be the problem. Am also probably eating a little more red meat in favor of variety. Can't really imagine what else given my food history. And I don't want to weigh myself - wasn't doing this primarily to lose weight -  but don't want to end up with a total of 10 additional pounds to lose. That will be tough task.

Thanks but I think I am. I am always full after meals, rarely want food between meals except the longer stretch between lunch and dinner sometimes, and have never really thought too much about how much I am eating favoring being satiated without feeling "stuffed" and listen to my body pretty well. I am also a 5' 4" female so my general caloric requirements are lower. 

Archived