Travel in the UK

5280sarah

Hi there,

I'm traveling to the UK for a week and wanted to know about Whole30 friendly restaurants and places to eat on the run. I'm from the UK (lived in London) originally although I live in the US so I am familiar with restaurants and places to eat in London however have not visited since I started following Whole30. I was just hoping to piggyback off someone elses Whole30 travel experience! I'm thinking probably Pret, Eat, Waitrose, M&S would all be good options for eating on the run iand maybe pizza express would have some compliant salads. I'd be so grateful if someone could chime in with some good options. 

Thanks!

Hi Sarah

I've just started my second whole30, but for my first I ended up eating out a fair amount. It's quite a bit harder in the UK because nothing is certified w30, but I did some googling and found Nandos (https://www.nandos.co.uk/eat/menu) to be recommended as compliant option. I always had half chicken medium hot, sweet potato wedges (with the seeds, but gave the dressing that comes with it to my partner), half an avocado and a side salad which I smothered in balsamic vinegar. Totally met my cravings for a cheeky nandos and I didn't feel upset at all by everyone else eating chips and burgers.

In terms of grab and go food, a lot of lunch-type places do snack packs of nuts which is handy (so long as you avoid the seasoned ones), I eat a lot of prosciutto and Wiltshire cured ham (the only kind of ham that doesn't have sugar in it). Nakd bars (https://www.naturalbalancefoods.co.uk/nakd-fruit-and-nut-bars/) are sold in almost all of the supermarkets and most of them are compliant.

I don't know if you'll have kitchen facilities available to you, but my lunches this week have all been assembled from M+S, containing salad leaves, tomatoes, cucumber, microwaved veg, beetroot, cashew nuts, crispy bacon strips and some compliant meat or fish option from the pre cooked section (the roast beef and some of the salmon packs are compliant)

I'm looking forward to seeing if you get any other responses, I had a few meals where I had to guess that things would be ok because I didn't check with the servers that the meat wasn't marinated in anything non compliant, and one meal that came out covered in chopped tortilla pieces that I had to pick out and eat around. It's that British reserve of not wanting to order off menu or be awkward and ask a million questions when ordering I guess. My sister's birthday meal is going to be here in 2 weeks: http://thebotanist.uk.com/files/menus/251016-132016-BT_(LB)_Food_Menu_Oct 2016.pdf. I was fairly confident I'd find something compliant, but looking now I'm not sure. I'll do my best though, I'll be on day 22 by then, so hopefully be feeling strong!

Thank you so much! I'm so grateful for your response. I didn't even think about Nandos so thank you for suggesting that. It's always good to have options. I will have access to a kitchen for breakfast and some dinners although as we are visiting and catching up with people I imagine that we will be eating out more than we usually do. I usually cook 3 meals a day at home so this will be a test. I was hoping that M&S would come through for me!

Thanks again and congratulations on (almost) completing your second Whole30 - awesome achievement!

Archived