Start February 13th

Kelsie Ashley

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@IrishGirl73Thanks for the comments.   I actually have never had a home saliva test or my cortisol levels checked.  My naturopath has been perscribing based on symptoms alone.  I may need to ask her about that.    Have you found the cortisol manager and seriphos helped with your sleep  ? and did it take a while to see results ?  I am desperate to get better sleep.  I know it would make a world of difference.   

I've done saliva tests, but they were to determine my estrogen, progesterone, etc. hormone levels. They are the only test that's accurate for me. When my doctors used blood work results to determine my hormone levels post hysterectomy, they prescribed estrogen pills which resulted in me being extremely overdosed on estrogen. Now, I don't even take estrogen...I take progesterone, testosterone and DHEA 25, and I've never had a hot flash. I'm turning 58 this week.

On Day 25 ...feeling good.  I am just feeling concerned about reintroduction.  I am considering doing a second whole 30, and transition to reintroduction in April.  I am concerned that this feeling of energy and focus will go away and I will slip back into old habits.    

Day 25 ... again, I still feel behind the curve.  The last few days were trying...I stayed on plan but I did skip Monday dinner after workout (felt nauseous), Tuesday just tired and sore and not feeling like prepping and cooking so the kids and I went to Jimmy John's and I had a veggie lettuce wrap w/o dressing.  Last night was better...made the Chicken Cacciatore from W30 and it was great served over spaghetti squash.  

@Anbrodie, I'm not really feeling like I am ready to go off plan either since I think it took longer for my body to go through the various stages.  I have always felt like I was behind. Since my husband and I are doing it together, I will see.  The reason we started W30 was to narrow down what might be causing some of his symptoms (possibly gluten intolerance) and to get my sugar addiction under control.  I'm still not confident in myself for going to parties/social situations and making the 'right' choices when I don't have the rules to follow.

It is still a bit rough for me on certain days but I have been so proud that I have stuck to it and not cheated.  I have learned a ton about what is in a lot of the foods we were eating before this and that I CAN make it through a week without fast food. :) 

Staying strong!

@Holly T, Happy Birthday!!  Way to keep it up!

@Chrissybell I'm still chugging along. The last couple of days have been out of the ordinary. I had the first in a series of medical procedures for varicose vein removal Tuesday morning. And yesterday was my 58th birthday. Planning on celebrating with wine next week, when it's "legal". Lol

I'm going to a fundraiser dinner tonight with friends that has a set menu. I checked ahead on what they are serving...stuffed chicken breast, mashed potatoes, asparagus and there will be a chocolate fountain! I plan on eating some protein before I go. Also, we traditionally buy a bottle of wine as a donation...gonna be a long evening!

As far as my plans after Day 30...I'm definitely reintroducing white wine first! Then, I'm taking it slow. I really want to see how many eggs are a problem for me, since I have a known sensitivity, not an allergy. I'd like to be able to use things like compliant mayo, etc. infrequently, just to simplify my life a bit. I've tried two egg-free recipes, and couldn't hack either one! 

I'll continue to stay away from dairy, as I know it's a problem for me, also. I'll reintroduce agave nectar at some point, as it's nice for morning coffee. I've already indoctrinated myself on staying away from added sugars as I have a known cane sugar sensitivity, so I'll continue that unless it's a special occasion. And then I'll have to be picky! 

The best advice I've seen from a long term Whole30 follower is to keep your kitchen compliant, and only go off plan occasionally when eating out. 

@Anbrodie I'm a little concerned, too. I know my first introduction is wine.  But I feel like I still need to eat this way for another month. It's easy for me to cook these meals for 30 days but I'm fearful I'll start eating out too often and making poor choices. I need to stay in my kitchen and cook!! 

Cant believe its day 25!!!! Wow!! We are all amazing!! 

I just overcame my biggest struggle today!! Last minute I received free tickets to the Valspar Championship (golf) with all the free food and booze I wanted!! I contemplated just having the time of my life today. I ordered a club soda with lime, sat in the sun and watched some golf. I later had a plate of raw veggies. I feel fantastic!! Super proud of myself!!

@HollyT I hope the struggle passes quickly! 

Ha ha, my first reintroduction is going to be white wine, too! Can't wait for that first glass...

As for the dilemma about staying on W30 for longer or not, I'm undecided, too. I've done a bit of reading on the site and in the forums on this topic and the gist I'm getting is that if you're wanting to lengthen it to increase the chances of getting the NSVs that haven't happened yet, then go for it. If you're doing it because you're scared off going off plan, then maybe you should end on schedule. I read an article about training wheels by Melissa somewhere on the site that helped me see the benefits of going freestyle and the need to trust myself and what I've learned so far. Still taking about it, though.

@Ejanecek83, I haven't had those kinds of dreams this week, but the end of week 2 & week 3 I had some crazy dreams, emotional, & sometimes violent dreams.  I am still falling asleep much better than before W30, but always wake at 3:00-3:15.  I am able to fall back to sleep, but my eyes pop open and I check my clock EVERY NIGHT.

I have been reading about the re-introduction process and I think I am going to follow the Fast-Track.  Introduce one category then go back to W30 for 2 days, repeat with another category, W30 for 2days, etc, etc.  Then I will know what my triggers are and still have some comfort of staying W30 most of the time.  I feel like I am just getting the hang of it, but I don't want to commit to another 30 days and not get the answers I think will help me stay compliant in the future.  I truly ate anything I wanted prior to W30 and rarely restricted myself, thinking that I did not have the 'will-power'.  I now have confidence that I can make healthy choices without regret.  Prior to W30, I ate fast food, take-out at least 3 days a week for lunch and sometimes 1-2 times a week for breakfast and/or dinner.  I am happy to say that I have broken that habit and feel comfortable that I can continue with it. :)

Day 26!!  Way to stay strong everyone!

Hi friends! We are doing awesome! I still need to read Food Freedom Forever! I think I'm on page 10. The end of the 30 days is nearing! I have a guest from Friday-Wednesday. I'm hoping to really stay on track with reintroduction. I have a feeling my first two reintroduction will be wine and vodka as we will be at the beach all week. I'm pretty confident I can stay on track with the food part. 

How is everyone feeling as the end of this short journey is coming but the first day of the rest of our healthy lifestyle with food freedom?

I'm still here, too! I actually found some compliant bacon and fried it up this morning as an addition to my leftover chicken hash...it was awesome! I'm still thinking I'll be reintroducing in a different pattern than most since I already know I have a dairy sensitivity. I'm going to add back in the things I miss having (wine, agave nectar, peanut butter, etc. in moderation) and stay true to the plan for the most part. I'm really happy with the way stubborn fatty deposits on my torso have literally melted away! And, I can tell my inflammation issues are much less of a problem.

@Ejanecek83 I'm jealous of you being at the beach all week! Sounds heavenly! :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, IrishGirl73 said:

Holly T and Anbrodie I have absolutely found that Seriphos and Cortisol Manager have helped my sleep--they got my body back on a normal rhythm.  :-)  Wish you the best

Thank you,  I have found cortisol manager and Seriphos, hopefully they will help me as well!

Day 30 ... Last official day.  

I am making Whole 30 / Paleo Zuppa Toscana Soup (replicated from Olive Garden), but made with my own ground pork turned into Italian Sausage and green salad.

My husband and I are prepping for reintroduction of non-gluten grains (mainly corn & quinoa) tomorrow, then back to Whole 30 for 2 days.  The catalyst was to narrow down what might have been causing his coughing (which has decreased 98% on Whole 30, I have heard him cough twice but not since week 2).   Not changing too much and really don't feel the need to.  I love these recipes! 

So...as an end to my first Whole 30 reset, I will summarize my results.

Non-Scale Victories!

Physical-Outside:  Skin...still blotchy rosacea on face, but the backs of my arms used to be dry & prickly...that has gone away. Definitely less bloating!  Clothes are looser, not enough for a size difference yet but on the way.

Physical-Inside:  pretty much most of the things on the list, but I didn't have any real health issues (besides weight) to begin with.

Mood, emotion & psychology:  I do seem to be more chipper, my kids (even out of state) have noticed when they call that I seem happier.  Definitely fewer sugar cravings, carb cravings, feeling in control of food choices.  

Brain function:  Crazily...I do seem to be more productive at work.  At home, I have actually been slowing down from the running and reading before bed and actually going to bed at the same time.

Sleep:  This is definitely the biggest change for me!  I am sleeping anywhere from 7-8 hours EVERY night.  I used to say that I was the kind of person who only needed 5-6 hours, because that is what I got.  But the change in diet has changed my whole system.  I have never felt so replenished.  This didn't start until week 3 or so, and it still feels new and unfamiliar...but I have to say, that I rather like this change.  Of all of the changes, this is the one I least expected and the one I most like!

Energy:  This is still hit or miss for me (in regard to tiger blood and all) but I do feel a slow awakening of desire to keep moving and not as much of a desire to rest or take naps as I would do on the weekends.

Sports, exercise and play:  I have started going to a gym again.  Started in week 3 and it was AWFUL!  I have kept it up and will try to get in at least 3 classes a week.  I think the time change will help with motivation to do this as well as all of the sleep.

Food and behaviors:  I'm not sure how anyone can go thru the entire 30 days and not have changed their relationship with food.  I certainly did.  It took a few days of tears and mourning the loss of that emotional support system, but I was able to live through it and feel stronger and cleaner because of it.  We made it through Valentine's Day (5th grade party, even!!).  My husband & I celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary sharing a box of take-out food from the Whole Foods cafeteria and toasting with La Croix.  Yep, I had some emotion that came out on that day...  but I have learned that I don't NEED food to make an occasion special...it is the occasion itself, the people we are with and the food...well, it is the proverbial 'icing on the cake'.

Lifestyle and social:  The cooking, prepping, thinking about meals and choices has changed greatly too.  While we always were a cooking family, we have learned to rely more on vegetables than the pasta, rice, grain, etc.  We made our own ground pork...which we made into breakfast sausage & Italian sausage and the pride and excitement from doing that one experiment was so intoxicating.  Making the mayonnaise, the ketchup, the bar-b-q sauce....it really opened our minds to the things we CAN do and that we really do have time for.  I also made some new Instagram friends and followers...and have started following Whole 30 on Facebook which is so informative!

So, Whole 30...was it hard?  OMG! YES!!!!  My first week was BRUTAL!  The second week bearable!  The third week an emotional roller-coaster!  The fourth week stabilizing! and finally day 30...oh, so proud!  We are starting reintroduction today and will continue with W30 eating in between.  I would like to say that this is now our lifestyle...but life gets busy and messy and we as humans get lazy.  Many of the recipes will stay in the permanent rotation because they are just so tasty and I feel like I will revisit the book a lot in the coming months for reference and reassurance.

And finally....I am down 11 pounds in the 30 days!!!  I know this was not the goal and really...how could I not lose weight considering all of the junk that I was putting in my body prior to this, but I think that is a LOT in a short period of time without really trying.  It was just a side benefit...and one that I like!  

Thanks to everyone...and good luck on the rest of your journey!

We made it! Great job everyone!! Here are a few of my results: 

Whole30 Assessment

PHYSICAL (outside)
flatter stomach 
leaner appearance
less bloating
less dimpled skin
feel more confident naked

PHYSICAL (inside)
less swollen, stiff joints
less painful joints
less gas
less bloating
improved regularity
less back pain

MOOD, EMOTION, PSYCHOLOGY
generally happier
no more carb cravings
improved body image
improved self-esteem
improved self-confidence

BRAIN FUNCTION
think more clearly 
better concentration
more productive 
focus improved

SLEEP
sleep more soundly
stay asleep longer
no longer need an alarm clock to wake up
feel refreshed when wake up
no more night sweats
no more restless leg

more energy 
started exercising on day 15

FOOD BEHAVIORS
healthier relationship with food
reduction in disordered eating habits
learned to eat to satiety
learned to listen to body
abandoned yo-yo dieting forever
don't use food for comfort
tried new foods
don't use food as a reward
don't use food as stress management
no longer slave to sugar and carbs
know when I'm hungry or craving
fewer cravings
naturally have more variety, color, vitamins, and minerals in diet

i went down one pant size, lost 15.4lbs and lost 23.5 inches. Overall, I'd say this is a success and my life is forever changed. I plan to continue on this journey but first I'm having some wine!

if you want to see my results and pics on IG, my name is Emilysfitnessfun. I know some of you are following. I'm really happy we could watch each other's journey through pics on IG as well as in the forum. I look forward to seeing your continued progress. Thank you for all of your support! I couldn't have done it without you!!!

Hi everyone,

Congratulations on making it to the finish line! I finished three days ago and have been waiting for you all to finish, too, before I started gloating! Very glad that so many of us have seen this through. I agree with @Ejanacek83, I couldn't have done it without the support from you all, and with the knowledge that I wasn't in this alone that this forum has given me.

My NSVs (and one SV), from least significant to most:

-My hunger levels are more stable through the day. I could never have skipped morning tea before W30 without feeling famished but now I can easily. Even just before meal times, my hunger levels are much more manageable.

-I'm not sure about my moods yet. Some days in the middle of this I felt unaccountably happy but that hasn't been consistent. Will need to keep monitoring that.

-I feel much more in control over what I'm eating, and strong in that I can make good decisions even when faced with big temptation. I wasn't sure I could resist the birthday cake, frosting and decorations I made back in week 2, but I did! Not sure how I'll go with resisting temptation without the strict structure of the rules, but at least I know I can when I really want to.

-I've re-learned how essential it is for me to do a grocery shop on the weekends, so that I have good food on hand when I come home late and tired from work, so I don't resort to microwave meals or something that's filling but not nutritious.

-My sleep and skin seem unaffected but they weren't ever really an issue for me.

-I've reawakened my pleasure in cooking new recipes for myself, rather than only for others.

-I've lost 5kg (=10.5 lbs) and it doesn't feel like I was even trying. This is a huge improvement over the point-counting, weighing and hypervigilance I have had to do in the past if I was ever to lose weight. Having found a better, calmer way of managing my weight and bringing it back to a healthier level is a revelation!

-My wardrobe is fitting me better and I think pretty soon I'll need to get that bag of 'thin' clothes back down from the closet. Yay! I love some of those clothes, but even more, I love that they represent the me that is in control of my health.

-I have felt well the entire time. My primary purpose for doing the W30 were the elimination and re-introduction aspects, as I have had increasing problems with nausea, bloating and general digestive pain over the last year. I've been gluten free for four years, but it seemed like there must be something more than just gluten I was getting a bad reaction from. Until W30 there were usually 2-3 days per week when I felt quite ill for at least some of the day, if not all of it. Apart from the food-hangover I had on Day 1 from gorging on all the forbidden foods I was throwing out the day before, I haven't had any days where I've felt ill in the familiar ways. I'm hoping that a really careful and vigilant reintroduction will help me to figure out what other food groups I need to avoid to stay feeling well. This is a HUGE improvement for me, and makes life much more enjoyable. This NSV on its own was worth the effort.

I hope you all have been very pleased with your results and that this is just the first step towards a healthier, happier life.

Well done to all of us!!!!!

@kerricraft that's a great explanation of why this system makes a lot of sense! A "better, calmer way" of managing your weight...that's so true! Awesome results for you! Glad you are feeling healthier, too! Reintroduction will be an eye-opener, I'm sure! 

I put my assessment on the "success stories" forum after I read in my daily email that they strongly suggested it! 

Congrats, again! 

Re-introduction woes (reintroduction alcohol)

Just wondering how everyone is doing with re-intro?  We started with non-gluten grains (wild rice, corn tortillas, & corn chips) and everything went fine.  No symptoms to speak of.  Then 2 days back on W30.  But Saturday night, re-introduced alcohol.  Had Berry Ciroc vodka (made with grapes) and La Croix...Sunday had just a tad of a headache in the morning but went away with hydration...but then last night I was SUPER tired and today SO sluggish...and I feel like if I saw someone eating a cupcake, I would kick them in the shin and steal it!!  I'm not sure if it's because my 'sugar dragon' has been awakened or because it has been so long since I have had anything off plan??  Today is Day 37 ... wondering if anyone has had similar experiences???

Archived