Third Whole30, but still feel best after reintroduction?

gtinari

I'm currently on day 24 of my third Whole30. I completed my first one about a year and a half ago, second one last summer, and now in the midst of the third. While I love how many benefits the Whole30 has provided for me, it seems like I for whatever reason still feel my best energy-wise with some non-compliant foods in my diet.

For example, I've found out through the Whole30 that my body doesn't particularly love gluten or dairy and is so/so with soy. But rice and certain preparations of corn (think corn tortillas) I'm fine with. And it seems like once I start to incorporate these foods back in my diet, along with a little added sugar here and there, is when I really feel like I'm at 100% energy. 

This time around I tried hard to keep my macros as perfect at every meal as possible - protein, lots of veggies, some fruit every now and then, and a helping of fat. I see skin improvement, weight loss, mental clarity, but the energy just isn't totally there the way I experience it after I reintroduce added sugar + gluten free grains. This has me concerned that maybe after all this time my body never fully switched over to using fat for fuel?

Side note: I also have a chronic digestive condition that I've had since prior all my Whole30s and has since not healed. The doctors are unsure how to diagnose still after years, but it results in a lot of stomach gurgling, chest pressure, and belching if I go more than a few hours without eating (which often requires me to have a compliant snack.) I thought for a while that maybe whatever this digestive issue is could be related to my energy levels, but it seems unlikely at this point since I've felt my energy peak even when symptomatic. 

Does anyone else have this problem and what's the solution? Could it be I'm still not in fat-fuel mode after three W30s? And should I extend my Whole30 then? Thanks.

59 minutes ago, gtinari said:

Could it be I'm still not in fat-fuel mode after three W30s?

You'll only reman fat adapted if you continue to eat by the principles of Whole30 - ie. three template meals, 4-5hrs apart, no snacking, no refined sugars and low fruit intake. It's quite likely that your need to snack has prevented you from becoming fat adapted and so your energy is low because you're still relying  on sugar.

When you snack what do you typically eat?

11 hours ago, jmcbn said:

You'll only reman fat adapted if you continue to eat by the principles of Whole30 - ie. three template meals, 4-5hrs apart, no snacking, no refined sugars and low fruit intake. It's quite likely that your need to snack has prevented you from becoming fat adapted and so your energy is low because you're still relying  on sugar.

When you snack what do you typically eat?

I tend to eat either fruit, some vegetables, or nuts as snacks. Or a combination in attempt to get in two macros. And I do follow the principles of the Whole30 minus the snacking part. Even off the Whole30 added sugar is kept to a minimum and I don't usually have more than one or two pieces of fruit per day. I do start to include rice a couple of times per week though too and have the occasional alcoholic beverage or two, the latter often just wine or gin.

Archived