Breastfeeding and baby tummy troubles

I started Whole30 on the 6th and at the end of day 2 my 8week old is having bad stomach problems. I know all the fresh vegetables and fruit are probably effecting him. Any advice from breastfeeding moms on how to help him through this phase?  

Thanks

Monday-

potato hash w/onion & BP and eggs

hamburger patty w/grilled onions, guacamole and roasted potatoes, carrots and cauliflower hummus

sheetpan chicken fajitas (onion, BP) wrapped in green leaf lettuce topped with homemade salsa and guacamole 

snacked on an apple and nuts

Tuesday-

scrambled eggs with compliant sausage, onion, BP

leftover dinner from monday

hammburger patty topped with guacamole roasted potatoes and asparagus

snacked grapes, apple, and nuts

Have been scared to eat bananas, broccoli, and sweet potatoes 

• Moderators

What is BP?

That's not very much food for someone keeping themselves and another human alive with their own body... we recommend four meals a day and lots and lots of fat for good milk production.  

I would say you may want to remove the onions and nuts as they can be disruptive... nothing in your meals looks particularly concerning to me but it might be a good idea to take this list to your pediatrician and discuss it with them? No one here is a medical professional so we can't give medical advice.

If you're hungry enough to snack, which I can completely believe, please try eating another meal or a mini meal of protein, fat and veggies.  fruit, dried fruit, nuts and nut butter are not your best choice.

BP is bell pepper. 

I am not looking for medical advice. I just wanted to know if any other moms were having trouble with their babies since starting the plan. I was looking for support from someone that may have gone through the same thing.

I added a forth meal today. 

2 minutes ago, Sarah H said:

I was looking for support from someone that may have gone through the same thing.

I BF my youngest son until he was so ill from food allergies that I had to stop & switch him to a hypo allergenic formula.

Because he was a premmie we were under the care of a consultant who referred us to an allergist. His first suggestion was for me to remove the top allergens from my diet - in your case eggs & nuts - I'd start there. What are his BM like?

• Whole30 Certified Coach

I have a  5 week old... with reflux/gas issues.  So I've been doing a lot of reading about mom's diet and baby's issues.  Some sites say there is no relation (except for cow dairy - most will say to try cutting that out) and some sites say that the old wives tale of "if it gives mom gas it gives baby gas" is true and they suggest cutting out broccoli, cabbage, onions, brussel sprouts and some other high gas foods (this was from Dr. Sears website).  I've been mostly W30 since his birth and have only noticed one correlation between the two of us.  A friend brought us some non W30 food that was $$$ from a local organic store, so I ate it: quinoa, canola oil, dairy... all sorts of "healthy" stuff I don't normally eat.  And boy did *I* feel it - worst gas I've had that I can remember and about 20 hours later our little guy went into his worst night yet... screamed for hours arching, bearing down... the episode ended with a burp that a 300 lb drunk man would have been proud of.  

My mother in law thinks that my diet may be causing his issues (as though dairy and gluten and preservatives will somehow make him better...?) but she may be partially right in that I don't really need to eat close to 2 lbs of really gassy foods a day (I've been loving roasted broccoli and a creamy coleslaw lately - so I'm eating A LOT of broccoli and cabbage).  I have no gas from these foods (I'm actually the least gassy I've been in years) but maybe they are too much for a 4.5 week old gut - I don't know.  What I tried yesterday was to switch out veggies - more spinach, zucchini, green beans, snap peas, cucumbers - and less of the "offensive" ones.  He had a bad night last night but I'm sure it was too soon to tell.  

What foods are the most different that you are eating now?  Do you think it is ones you have taken away or added in?

1 hour ago, littleg said:

What foods are the most different that you are eating now?  Do you think it is ones you have taken away or added in?

Almost every vegetable  except potato, onion, and bell pepper. I ate a lot of junk before so this a huge food change for me. I ate eggs just every now and then though. 

• Whole30 Certified Coach

Do you feel gassier?  None of the foods that you are eating seem to be the "big" offenders (maybe onions and cauliflower...).  

Here are the articles I've read.  

One (mom's diet may matter)

Two (mom's diet doesn't matter)

Personally, if I were you and there were really a big difference in the fussiness of my little guy I'd bail on the W30 (and I say this coming from the perspective that I would give almost anything to help my little guy feel better right now).  There are so many great things about the W30 that you can incorporate into your life but still eat foods that didn't seem to upset him as much.  Get rid of the biggies (I'm not implying these are things you do, just that these are the most important tenets of health to me) - no soda, no high fructose corn syrup, no artificial colors, no processed foods, no crappy vegetable oils, if you can, buy organic especially for the dirty dozen for produce and fatty cuts of meat since the antibiotics, fertilizers, etc that the animals are exposed to are stored in the fat).  

The other thing you can do is sort of ease into the W30 - do a meal per day for a week, then two, etc do try to build up a "tolerance" to the increased amount of fruits and veggies.  

And lastly - one of the things I finds helps the most for our guy is baby wearing.  He just seems much more comfortable when he spends most of the day on me (and vertical with some belly pressure).  I'm not sure if that is something you do already or are capable of incorporating.

Good luck :)

Thank you.l for the advice. 

I hate him hurting because of something I might be eating. He is my first priority. I started Whole30 to better my eating habits for my kids and I was hoping it would help me supply better milk and nutients to him. But I don't want to continue if it causing him problems. I am hoping that his problems are only temporary until his body gets used to the different foods I am eating.  

I do wear him in a carrier some. I don't all day.  I do carry him a lot though with my arm under his legs to keep them bunched up. He likes for me to pat his booty too. Just try to keep him relaxed as much as possible.  That seems  to work. 

• 3 weeks later...

I am breast-feeding my 11 week old he was very gassy to start with and I assumed it was related to the dairy. I am on day five of whole 30 and by day 2  our gas decreased for both of us. However my baby has had a significant increase in his spit up and seems to have some pain with it and after eating.  He is still somewhat gassy, but better than before, but his gas is a lot smellier. I am wondering if it's from the onions Bell peppers, cauliflower and hot sauce.  On a scale of 1 to 10 it's about as bad as a five. So I'm going to give it a few more days to see if it levels out.   I ate the same veggies before whole30   but not nearly as much as I am now.   I think it will be an extra challenge to cut those foods out and keep the flavor in the variety that I want, but I need my little guy to feel OK 

@SarahSchroeder

Just keep going.  I was almost at the point of giving up, but I decided to give it a little while longer as long as I was able to comfort my baby through the gassy times. It was hard and we had several long nights. 

Happy to say today we are on Day 28 and it only took him a little while to adjust to my new eating habits. He hardly even has gas now days. 

• 3 months later...

Babies magic tea is pretty amazing. My six week old son seemed to have tummy troubles, gas and colic starting in the late afternoon and would be up for hours, screaming, at night. After drinking this for a couple of days (since I'm breastfeeding), he wakes up happy and smiles and coos a whole lot more.

Archived