Sulfur Dioxide - Effects/Significance

SRM

Hi all. Can anybody tell me more about the science behind or effects of sulfur dioxide (what's the difference between sulfur dioxide and sulfites? are they equally as bad?), and how - and how badly - it can throw off the Whole30?  On day 22, I just found that the lemon juice I occasionally put in my tea contains it. Major bummer :(

The forum posts I've found thus far seem to have mixed messages about whether I need to start over, but either way I'd like to know what it does, even just out of curiosity. Bonus points for thoughts from admins/experts on whether or not I need to start over.

Thank you! 

Sulphur dioxide is a sulphite and is expressly against the rules of a Whole30. You can read more about why sulphites are not permitted in It Starts With Food. (But, in general, the categories of foods excluded for the duration of a Whole30 tend to be inflammatory and may have other adverse nutritional aspects).

The decision whether to start over is yours, that's why you see mixed messages. :)

You can read more about how and why to make this decision here:

http://whole30.com/2014/06/really-start-whole30/

You can get lemon juice without sulphates or use fresh lemons.

• Moderators

I personally would start over but I'm a steadfast believer in always starting over.  We have an article linked in my signature below called Do I have to start over and we recommend you read it and decide.

As for the science of sulfites, that's is covered in the book It Starts With Food, but its considered an inflammatory food that many people have a reaction to so it's called out as not allowed in the Whoel30.

Sulfites describe a family of food additives with names like sodium or potassium bisulfite, sodium or potassium sulfite, and sulphur dioxide.

Thanks, guys. I did read the article (it just seemed focused on willful slips/intention, and I wasn't sure if SD was in the sugar accidental slip category or a more serious affair, which it sounds it is), and will check the book when I get home, and probably start over (I was thinking about extending anyway). Appreciate the responses! 

Archived