Starting February 20

MargaretAM

Hello Everyone:

I have a start date - I am in!

Would love to connect with others starting on Feb 20.  I am busy with pre-planning.  I already know I do much better with any change and with my food choices if I have a good plan in place. 

I also do a lot of heavy strength training and am interested in hearing from others who train/exercise heavy and how it is going on the plan.

Looking forward to "meeting".

Margaret

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Margaret!  I'm brand new here and also have a start date of February 20th!  Would love to go through this challenge with you, and anyone else who's starting at that time. 

I've recently started back on a strength training program, and plan to continue through the Whole 30.  I'm just following a program outlined in the New Rules of Lifting for Women.  Nothing too extreme but it does encourage you to lift HEAVY!

Looking very much forward to this...and scared at the same time!  :)

Kelli

That is awesome about your lifting!  I'm 47 now and would love to be able to say the same after 5 years!

i may be back to my feb 20 start date. I'm feeling super rushed to get it all together to start this Monday. My issue is that I'm taking my kids to Thailand for spring break in March (we live in Malaysia right now), so if I don't start until the 20th, I will have to stop the challenge a couple of days early and can't really reintroduce the foods properly. But I refuse to wait until after the trip to get started. Any advice?  

Hey I'm Jackie and I will be starting the same date! I read the program once and have been reading it through again and signing up for everything to get myself ready. I will be purchasing the books on Monday! I have a husband and 2 daughters. Not sure how well the hubby will do lol. He'll be eating what I make for dinner and he takes the left overs for lunch the next day. He will probably still have his usual snacks and drinks. Hopefully he'll come on board with me eventually!!

Best of luck on Day 1 Kelli!  And don't be afraid to lift heavier than you think you can!

Jackie:

It is good to "meet" you.  I too am reading everything I can and am trying to get myself ready for next Monday.  I was in Whole Foods last night and was happy to find many compliant products such as deli meats, dressings and bacon.  

I have a husband and 2 teens.  My husband is already incredibly disciplined in his eating and the teens have no interest in doing this.  So, I am going to try to move the teens non-compliant foods that trigger me out of the way and just make my mind up to do this regardless.

Looking forward to getting to know you through this journey.  Let me know how your preparations are going.

Margaret

I'm starting on Feb 19th. This is my first time with the Whole 30 and I am so excited to find the forum with others on the same journey. I planned my meals yesterday for Days 1-7 but was struggling with what to plan for breakfast each day (other than eggs) and only planned lunch for 5 days. Best of luck to you! I'm so excited to feel better! 

hello ladies!! I am a senior in high school and I will be starting on Feb 20 as well. I have multiple friends who do whole 30 regularly throughout the year so I've heard about it before but I will be doing this as my "senior 30 day self-help project". Hoping to improve multiple annoying and nagging health issues!! 

I am also reading absolutely everything i possibly can to be prepared and i'm excited to begin!

Hi! I am so happy I stumbled upon this program! I am a 46 year old mom of three. (ages 16 years, 12 years and 20 months!) I have about 60 pounds to lose. I am actually heavier and have less energy than when I gave birth approximately 2 years ago. Ugh!!! I have ordered the cookbook and "It Starts with Food" book. This is it!! I have got to finally get healthy again. My 82 year old father is in better shape and more active than I am. I must succeed this time!!! Super nervous that this will be like all prior attempts and fails, but looking forward to it finally being different. I think the forums will help a lot. :) I am starting the 20th.

JLS-I also have a little one (2 years old and a 7 year old ) so I am in the same boat as you! I also have no energy and need to lose about 60 pounds! My biggest worry is being able to keep up with all of the meal prep to stay Whole 30 compliant. Any easy recipes or ready to eat food you find...let me know! My go to's right now are yogurt and hummus which will both be off the table!!! Best of luck to you! WE CAN DO THIS! 

Hello Everyone! This will be my first Whole30 as well. We are also starting on February 20th! I have been following along with the February 1 start forum and have really enjoyed reading everyones progress and insite! Good Luck! I am excited/nervous to start! : ) 

I am so excited to see everyone who is starting on the 20th and really excited to have a high school senior join us!

I too am nervous about failing.  I have many motivations for doing this but one is certainly losing some weight.  Ultimately, I would love to have a healthy relationship with food and my body...but that seems SO much harder than just losing a bit of weight and continuing the delusion that it will make me happy.  Like that has ever happened : )

I have been someone who has prepped and cooked food on Sundays for the week and I thrive with this routine, so that part won't be hard for me.  I am anticipating that the most difficult part will be the cravings, especially since I work second shift in an ER and there is always a lot of food around and snacking.  And it tends to make my days long as I usually still get up early.

I need to do my "if/then" list around cravings and late evenings at work before starting.  

Wishing you all good preparations!

Wondering how everyone is doing with prep.

Did my meal plan yesterday.  Today and tomorrow I am cleaning out cupboards and refrigerator space.  Then cooking/prepping on Sunday.  

How is it going for the rest of you?  Are you feeling ready to start?

Hi Margaret! I am very new to this program and have made the commitment to start February 20 as welll. I work full time, have a teenage daughter, four horses, a German shepherd and two cats. My life is crazy but I AM going to do this. I did a deep dive  into the textbook and cookbook last night and ordered some fresh and frozen compliant meals to be delivered in case I run into an OMG moment in my hectic schedule. Cupboards get cleaned tomorrow, meal planning is tonight, and cooking and prepping all weekend!!! I look forward to sharing the experience with everyone starting the 20th. 

Jennifer.  

Hi Jennifer:

Thank you for responding!  I am so happy to not be alone in this.  This group will be a big part of my success.

Yuck, cleaning cabinets has not been fun.  Who knew how much old stuff gets pushed in the back? And why does my husband need 6 bags of crystallized ginger?!!!

Where did you order the frozen meals from?  I should do that too.

I found meals at www.premadepaleo.com.  They have a subsection for whole30 compliant.  I believe they are out of Atlanta so I am in the geographic area for fresh made in addition to frozen.  I have not tried these yet so have no idea if they are good but the reviews seemed good.  

Im really going to try to focus on sauces and dips to create a lot of variety in the proteins. 

We did a kind of practice run this week! We have dinner scheduled this weekend with friends that is going to be off plan so we just did a kind of dry run. Made mostly compliant breakfasts/lunches and a couple dinners! I was surprised at how full I was after breakfast this week. I am interested to see if that stays the same when we are actually on the plan! 

Jennifer, if you find any good sauces and dips please share! I am going to attempt some mayo this weekend, haven't decided if were doing eggless or not yet! 

I actually followed this recipe someone else created and now I am bummed because I didnt save who it was. I found it on one of the forums though! 

Heat olive oil in heavy skillet (I recommend Le Creuset)

Add 1 chopped onion and 1 cup shredded carrot (takes longer to soften).  Cook for about 5 minutes and add 1-2 minced garlic cloves and stir until fragrant.  Add your zucchini and bell pepper and cook down until firm-tender.  Slice 1 Aidell's sausage link and add to pan.  Last, top skillet with 2 cups each baby kale and baby spinach.  Let the greens wilt down a bit.  Dump into 9x13 pan lightly oiled with coconut oil.  Whisk together 8 eggs in separate bowl and pour over top. Bake in 350 oven until set.  

Instead of the aidells sausage I used a pound of ground turkey and added some spices to make sausage. I also used 1 cup of each baby kale and baby spinach. I cooked everything in my cast iron skillet and ended up just moving that directly into the oven! I cut it into 8 slices for 8 meals. 4 Days of breakfast for us! I added 1/4 of an avocado sliced up and cholula to top! Very good and very filling! I had to force myself to eat my lunch all week and normally I am starving by lunch time!

Not something I can eat every day, so I will be trying something new this week! 

I am also starting the program on Monday the 20th. I'm still in the beginning of the book and have a lot to read and preparation this weekend. I was hoping to have the book read by today, but time has slipped away from me. I will be crash studying the next day or two. Both my husband and I are doing this together. He is doing this to support me to help figure out what my trigger's are. I have Celiac's disease and while the elimination of gluten from my diet has helped significantly, I still deal with certain symptoms. I have tired eliminating certain food types one at a time, but still continued with my struggle. We feel a total elimination and slow reintroduction will help me find the answers I've been looking for. I have clutched on to certain food groups, mostly dairy, because the gluten free diet has been restricting enough on me. A distant family member introduced me to this when I explained my issues. I was comforted by the fact that him and his significant other completed it with great results and positive feedback. I am nervous about doing this. Partly because I'm not as prepared as I thought I would be, but I know I need to take the plunge. I cannot keep putting off my health. It impacts me tremendously at times.

I hope to be active on this forum for support and guidance. Frankly, I am scared. We are also quitting smoking for the 2nd time and it was hard enough before without dietary restrictions. My fear is we are taking on too much at once. But our motto is "embrace the suck". I know a couple weeks (hopefully only) of discomfort through our cleanse will ultimately result in better health and a happier life. Cheers to life-style changes to better ourselves!

Hi! I'm starting on Feb. 20 as well for my first W30. I'm a Canadian mom of three (a 10yo and two 7yos) and will be doing this solo, as my DH isn't interested. He'll still be eating the dinners I make, though, so he and the kids are going to be tagging along to a certain extent.

I'm doing this because I've been a long-time sufferer of IBS and I'd like to finally figure out what is causing it. I also have pretty bad skin and get migraines, so there's that, too. I've gained 20lbs over the past couple of years, so losing a bit of weight will be a bonus as well!

Just in the process of meal planning for the week (which I do anyway, but this time with a twist!) and prepping a grocery list. Planning on prepping a bunch of stuff on Sunday and Monday to get me through the rest of the week. I'm dreading the prospect of breakfast every day, as I'm not a huge fan of eggs, but I'll muddle through with leftovers, I guess. 

Good luck to everybody! Here's hoping this isn't as hard as it looks. :)

Hi, I'm Kayli, married and 25, I will be starting Sunday the 19th, but I figured that with the start day being so close it would be nice to follow along with you all. I've done Paleo a little bit, but am strongly leaning towards a Whole365 instead of Whole30, but am definitely committing to beginning Whole30 this Sunday.

Archived