Starting February 20

MargaretAM

7 minutes ago, Lilkathy said:

It's worth taking a pill every day to not suffer through that misery.

Isn't that the  truth! I am looking it up. My mom actually has been taking a form of a beta blocker for her migraines, has had great success with it! Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely consider it! Any odd side effects that you noticed?

AS for the rest of you, I have to say, this is such a supportive group. I want to just say thanks for the thoughts! I am determined to stick it out and am going to try eliminating some of the things it could be, maybe coconut, maybe caffeine, maybe a lack of sleep.. (that of course I will be ramping up on! Barely got 4 hours with of sleep last night and, I mean, I HAD to watch the Oscars!) 

But today has been a hard day. My biggest issue with the migraines is that I'm basically forcing myself to eat when I don't have an appetite, but am starving.. you know the feeling? Made some cauliflower fried rice and bacon wrapped turkey.. I mean it SMELLS delicious so I'm excited to try it all! 

I am still tweaking my brekky recipes.. I think I need to make some muffin sized quiches.. something more palatable than HB eggs and veggies. At least I can hide the veggies in the eggs :)

What does NSV stand for? I've seen that a few times... 

Thanks again for all the thoughts today... I really appreciate it! 

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 8 here has gone well. I think dinner tonight was a new favorite recipe that I'll keep in rotation even post Whole30. We had bruschetta chicken (modified from a recipe a friend shared on Facebook to remove dairy and sugar). It was super easy - 2 chicken breasts marinaded in Italian seasoning, lemon, and garlic then butterflied and cooked on the stove top in olive oil, topped with homemade bruschetta (roma tomatoes, red onion, garlic, basil and olive oil). I served it with balsamic roasted Brussels sprouts. 

@MKFish I'm so sorry to hear about the migraines. I second the recommendation to look at any food you've added for trigger foods. At the recommendation of my neurologist I started taking B2 and magnesium supplements which really helped as a preventative for my migraines. 

DAY 8

Well, I cut way back on starchy veggies and had 1 small sweet potato (fit in my hand) and no fruit today.  I definately struggled with some hunger.  Gave in and had a compliant snack which helped.

Not much more to say. Hope the day went well for the rest of you.

11 hours ago, DotinTO said:

( @jmcbn, I drink a ton of water and herbal tea, so I'm pretty sure it's not a dehydration issue for me.)

14 hours ago, jmcbn said:

For those of you having headaches - how is your water intake? Are you drinking the recommended half an ounce per pound of body weight, daily? Are you salting your food? How much fat are you adding to your meals, remembering that much of what you use for cooking will stay in the pan...

How about your fat consumption as per my post above? How much fat are you eating per meal? And are you salting your food?

The other thing you might want to consider is potatoes - they can often be a trigger for headaches, so if you're eating a lot more of them than previously and you're salting food & fat intake is good then you may want to consider cutting them out to see if it helps...

Starting Day 9. Woke up with a migraine... and I am determined to figure this out! 

I have downloaded a list of possible triggers, and that's a lot of what I have been eating more of lately! So I am going to be doing a little "house-cleaning" today to rid myself of these things...! I am determined to figure this out! 

It's a very eye opening list in case anyone else was wondering about histamines or triggers. 

https://migraine.com/blog/elimination-diet-foods-to-eat-foods-to-avoid/

On 26/02/2017 at 8:01 PM, TryingOver said:

Day 7 and my husband is definitely fitting the timeline and feeling exhausted. I'm feeling a bit emotional. The roast that I made for dinner did not turn out well (way too tough) which was a pretty big bummer (especially because I was hoping for some tasty leftovers). 

Do any of you have favorite slow cooker or pot roast recipes? I think I'm going to try again next weekend with a different cut of meat. 

@TryingOver The Skinny taste website (www.skinnytaste.com) has a bunch of slow cooker recipes and she has a WHOLE30 filter so you can easily navigate which recipes are compliant!

On 2/26/2017 at 8:32 PM, MKFish said:

Has anyone else noticed a difference in, dare I say, menstrual cycle? I have an IUD and haven't had a period for, well, honestly, years, and this week, she decided to make an appearance (Which could have a lot to do with my migraines). It's been an emotional rollercoaster this week. I've cried, I've been exhausted, I've been abnormally happy. I told a friend of mine "I can imagine ice chunks calving off a huge glacier"... It hasn't been an easy week, but I feel like this is a really good natural process to get things back to a normal,  HEALTHY baseline. 

I'm not on any kind of birth control, but on my last Whole30 I completely skipped a period, then went back to my normal cycle after that. I'll be curious to see if that happens again this time, as I started just at the end of my period. I think it's pretty common to see changes in your cycle with any major dietary change/weight change.

Hey everybody, I haven't read the entire thread, but I'm jumpin' in. Was part of a facebook support group where some of the members were half a$$ing it so I had to bail. Just don't have the energy to police people that can't follow a simple program.  This is not my first rodeo. Just a little about me: my go to veg is raw cabbage and my go to fats are homemade mayonnaise, olives and coconut oil. I'm looking forward to getting to know all y'all.

Day 8 and I'm feeling okay, I was pretty angry most of the weekend, anybody else experience that?

On 2/27/2017 at 0:08 PM, MargaretAM said:

I think it is hard to relearn to listen to the body's signals, especially when there is a lot of hormonal and psychological "static". I am afraid I am going to gain weight too.  No changes in how my clothes are fitting at this point.  What it comes down to for me right now is I don't want to be relying on starchy veggies as a substitute for grains/sugar but I also don't want to remove them because I am afraid of gaining weight.  I have a feeling this will be a messy process for me for a while and may take time to sort out.

I'm on day 9 here and have been having similar thoughts. Am I eating too many potatoes? Is this going to stop my body from changing?  Am I eating too much in general?  I was going to try logging my food but that is counter to what I am hoping to get from the program..... I don't want to obsess over food anymore!   I've also not noticed any physical changes...... I think I might be expecting too much in regards to changes... one week is such a short amount of time lol.   

Day nine update: I don't feel much different!  

Satiety is good, no physical changes (**hoping for skin clearing soon**), level of energy is more stable but generally still a bit low (as it always has been).  

Cravings for sugar and junk foods have started in the last few days.  Growing in intensity but not unmanageable.  

@Kabob Welcome! glad to have you here! I have definitely had irritability and impatience on and off over the past few days.  

@YvonneB thanks for the Skinny Taste link.

@MKFish have you thought of breakfast casseroles? I made one from a paleo website and it was yummy and kept me fed and satisfied all week.  You can find a ton of recipes by doing a search on "paleo" or "whole 30" breakfast casseroles.  Obviously the paleo ones may need some adjustment to be W30 compliant.  Here is the one I used: https://paleoleap.com/breakfast-casserole-sausages/.  I used compliant Italian chicken sausage and used coconut milk instead of almond.  

Hi All!

I started on Feb 20 - day 9 now... Doing ok, but caught myself snacking alot the past few days... I read an old thread from Michelle that said that those are cravings and we just need to fight through them.... I think she is right.  Anyone else having these issues?  I am really trying to change my mindset and relationship with food, which for me, is snacking when I feel the slightest emotion or pang of hunger...   Thanks!

Hey ladies, I hope everyone is having a wonderful Day 9.  I have a few questions....

The sauces in the book (mayo, chili, etc) fall under the thumbs rule?  Also, am I supposed to be hungry by my next meal?

Im trying to get a hand on portion sizes, I want to be consistent throughout.  

Lastly, what are your fave recipes?! Share please.

Thanks!

K

Well my February 20th friends, Day 9 and 4th migraine and I'm done. 

At this point, the chemicals I am pouring into my body from the migraine meds are worse than anything I ever did before. I can't deal with the migraines anymore. Not worth it. 

As I sit here, vodka martini in hand, I have to say the cons have outweighed the pros in the last 9 days. I have had no energy, I'm hungry ALL the time, I am stressing over meals and dishes, and the headaches.  I have had a few pros, but have learned that I have been actually doing ok. I need to eat more veggies but with my schedule, and my 2 jobs, I can't handle the stress of the meal plan. I would imagine most normal working women and men couldn't do this regularly. It's not really set up to accommodate the working families. There was never anything wrong with rice and beans, they always served me so well! And I do love a good martini. :D

Best of luck to the rest of you, thank you for the words of encouragement. GOOD luck! 

In the past when I've made compliant breakfast casseroles I used olive oil for my "milk". I don't keep almond milk around and I stress out when I use a partial can of anything, you know, that the rest is going to go to waste. I looked up what an alternative would be and got olive oil and it works really well.

@MKFish good luck on your journey.

@MargaretAM thanks :)

@MKFish Sorry it didn't work out, I hope you conquer your migraines and find your way to a healthy lifestyle.

Today's challenge for me was coming home after work and realizing there were not enough leftovers to feed 2 people.  But I had a package of chicken breasts in the frig.  I opened one of my fav cookbooks, Well Fed Weeknights (Mel Joulwan) and opted for Chicken Paillard.  The recipe is on her blog:  http://meljoulwan.com/2016/11/04/chicken-paillard-onion-pepita-relish.  Pound the chicken, throw it in the cast iron skillet, prepare the relish.   

I found some chopped kale that was begging to be used, so opted for spicy market kale. http://meljoulwan.com/2010/01/12/eat-your-vegetables-kale-chard-beet-tops-and-more

I keep a spice jar with ras el hanout so this was also fast and easy.  http://meljoulwan.com/2010/01/10/these-are-a-few-of-my-favorite-things-ras-el-hanout/

25 minutes, and we shared a terrific dinner!  

DAY 10

According to the "typical" timeline, days 10 and 11 are the hardest:

Days 10-11: The Hardest Days.

Fact: you are most likely to quit your Whole30 program on Day 10 or 11. By this point, the newness of the program has worn off. You’ve made it through most of the unpleasant physical milestones, but you’ve yet to experience any of the “magic” the program promises. You’re still struggling to establish your new routine (read: you’ve eaten eggs prepared ten different ways over the last ten days), and while you’ve been trying really hard to have a good attitude, today you are incredibly aware of all the foods you’re “choosing not to eat right now.”  Everywhere you look, you see the things you “can’t” have: the melted cheese on a greasy burger, the creaminess of that double-scoop cone, the cold beer in your best friend’s tailgate cooler. Dammit, this is hard! And right now you’re wondering if the results will really be as good as “they” all say it is.

You’re cranky, you’re impatient, and you’re really, really tempted to just eat the stupid cheese.

I have to say, this is accurate for me today.  I still don't have my energy back and the NSV's are not very prominent (let alone any changes in my body composition).  At the same time I also know it is only 10 days and that I committed to 30, no matter what (tell that to my dream self who ate some dessert last night).  Regardless of any other changes, I have been using this time to dig deeper into some of the psychological reasons why I have developed my eating habits in the first place. This is hard but edifying and hopefully ultimately freeing in combination with the (I hope) metabolic changes that are happening.

If you are having a tough day, I am with you.  If not, enjoy how you are feeling!

@MargaretAM hang in there!  Think about all the delicious wonderful food you are eating instead of the cheese!  Another thought-- the yes/no guidelines to W30 are much easier to navigate than  trying to decide if you you can have a small piece of cheese if you promise to go to the gym.  You don't want to go back to the slippery slope of food choices and making deals with yourself. Go get a pedicure! Or a massage if you want to splurge.  You deserve it for making it 1/3 of the way thru!  

Thanks for posting that @MargaretAM, it always nice for me to know I'm on schedule. I'm wondering if anyone is having intestinal distress. Seems I remember something about that in the book saying that's also supposed to be happening right about now. I'm eating super clean, but I'm bloated as heck.

@ShellyM - I love the Well Fed cookbooks.

My stomach is not feeling good today at all. I was starving for dinner but could only stomach a few bites. I've been craving strawberries for some reason but haven't been buying fruit. I might just have to let myself have some darn strawberries.

3 hours ago, ShellyM said:

@MargaretAM hang in there!  Think about all the delicious wonderful food you are eating instead of the cheese!  Another thought-- the yes/no guidelines to W30 are much easier to navigate than  trying to decide if you you can have a small piece of cheese if you promise to go to the gym.  You don't want to go back to the slippery slope of food choices and making deals with yourself. Go get a pedicure! Or a massage if you want to splurge.  You deserve it for making it 1/3 of the way thru!  

1/3 of the way through!!!  Wow, I hadn't even realized!  That's exciting.  

I'm on day 11 today and I can't believe how much I'm not minding cooking. I won't go so far as to say enjoy it yet haha but for someone who's never really cooked I'm learning a lot.  I don't follow my meal plans to the 'T' but the guidance and structure works for me.  And it seems to be working for my spouse as well, who is enjoying the fresh and diverse dinners we've been eating!

My workouts this week are slightly better but I still can't eat before going to the gym...  Is eating a banana first better then nothing?!  Because it's all I can stomach that early.

I have a family dinner this weekend and well I've informed them of my current eating plan I'm 100% panicked.  I don't want to accidentally eat something non-compliant and have to restart but I also don't want to be the crazy relative hovering over the shoulders of my cooking relatives haha.  Pointers for family gatherings anyone??

Archived