Starting February 20

MargaretAM

Now on the flip side, I had 3 migraines this week.. I have been a life long migraine suffer, and I'm a little disappointed that even with cutting out my biggest trigger: alcohol, I am still getting them. Usually, it was 1 a week.... so I am going through everything I have prepped to eat and drink trying to figure out if is something else..?

I too had migraines all last week!  When I get one, they usually last 3 days, but never off and on for a week. :(  For me, the culprit is usually the barometric pressure.  Where I live winter suddenly dissapeared and we had a week of abnormally high temps and I think the drastic change was what set them off, not my diet.   Does the weather set off yours as well?

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You guys rock! Thanks for the encouragement.  No way I'm giving up but I am in a slump.  My workouts have been ugly and I am just trying to keep the faith that it is going to get better.

I appreciate each and every one of you for being on this journey with me.

I can totally relate to this @brandyontherun.  I'm trying not to eat too many starchy veggies per day.  I'm constantly thinking whether In eating too much.  I want to track my food but like you said its counterproductive.  I want to be free!  I too am hoping my skin clears soon. 

Does buying grass-fed organic makes THAT much of a difference?  I live in MD and everything is UBER expensive.  I have spent over $300 already in W30 compliant groceries.

I've trying to adjust my portion sizes.  Yesterday I packed a smaller meal 1 (leafy salad, dressing, protein) and was hungry within 2 hours.  REALLY hungry.  I caved and ate a Larabar.  It was that or fruit, but I read we are not supposed to snack on fruit. 

I was angry couple days ago, but other than that IM doing good.  Really missing the Mio though, I was a big fan of liquid calorie free water enhancers.  La Croix ain't doing much to quench that.  I've cut out sugar before, but never added sugar or substitute. 

I have to admit that I love the feeling.  I'm working out, I'm eating tasty foods while shackling the sugar monster.  Hooray to Day 11!

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 2:08 PM, brandyontherun said:

I'm on day 9 here and have been having similar thoughts. Am I eating too many potatoes? Is this going to stop my body from changing?  Am I eating too much in general?  I was going to try logging my food but that is counter to what I am hoping to get from the program..... I don't want to obsess over food anymore!   I've also not noticed any physical changes...... I think I might be expecting too much in regards to changes... one week is such a short amount of time lol.   

Day nine update: I don't feel much different!  

Satiety is good, no physical changes (**hoping for skin clearing soon**), level of energy is more stable but generally still a bit low (as it always has been).  

Cravings for sugar and junk foods have started in the last few days.  Growing in intensity but not unmanageable.  

Work environment challenging today...... 

Went to lunch with some of my work friends, had a cobb salad but still hungry, student eating foot long sub (which actually smells terrible), cookies and brownies in the break room.

Staying strong.  

Anyone else just feeling meh -tired and cranky and have had a headache for like a week now. I can't wait to feel great ya know?! I have had some skin improvements and some sleep improvements so I know it'll happen but this nagging headache is just annoying! 

Also anyone else recording their journey on insta? I'd love to follow y'all! Mine is @theanchoredhippie 

34 minutes ago, brandyontherun said:

What is everyone prepping for lunches?  I'm finding myself on repeat here (salads, eggs, tuna, 1 fruit) and it's getting boring!  I need lunch ideas that can be prepped ahead!

I almost always have dinner leftovers for lunch.  Sometimes I will make a tossed salad to fill it out but usually I make the salad as part of dinner too.  I guess this only works if you aren't counting on eating the leftovers at dinner! 

@ShellyM Congrats on making it through your work day!  I am having a difficult work day too (not quite over yet). I sit in a common area and everyone is grazing and we are really slow which makes me bored which makes me want to eat....

@brandyontherun Like Shelly, I eat a lot of leftovers for lunch.  Last week I also made a broccoli and chicken soup which I would add a salad too with some fat.  I tend to try to cook about 4 major things on Sunday that I can rotate throughout my weekday meals and will frequently add a side salad. 

DAY 11

I have been reading other threads for groups that started before us and how they were doing about this time in the journey.  I sometimes will also skip to the end of the forum thread to find out how the same people are doing at the end of their Whole30. It can be very reassuring. (except when I get to someone who decided to throw in the towel)

At this point, which seems to be a slump for many (myself included), I would love to hear why people decided to do the W30 for inspiration and so that we can better support each other.

I'll start. One of my primary reasons was to deal with my emotional attachments to food and habits.  I have struggled with this on and off for my entire life. Rarely has food just been food to me.  It is either something I am indulging in or trying to avoid. 

I would also like more constant, sustained and grounded energy and a more stable mood.  Finally I would love to improve my athletic performance and wouldn't mind a change in body comp.  Oh, and did I mention improved self-esteem around body image?

And, being the impatient perfectionist I am, I can't understand why this all hasn't happened in 11 days.

Would love to hear others' reasons if you want to share.

Night for now. 

Hi all, I didn't post yesterday because I was feeling a bit down and didn't want to come here to whine. Today went much better. Dinner here was fantastic. I made zoodles into lo mein and served it with ground turkey meatballs seasoned with fish sauce, a bit of orange juice and zest, and coconut aminos. The zoodles worked really well in the lo mein! 

@MargaretAM This is my second Whole30. I did the first to combat chronic fatigue and identified dairy as an irritant that was contributing to some of my issues. I've been dairy-free since then, but still having health problems (fatigue and abdominal pain). I'm hoping with Whole30 to identify any other foods that could be contributing to my issues and to improve my overall health.

I also realized part-way through that I wanted "comfort food" and that I've been using food as a crutch when I don't feel well physically and emotionally. I want to break that habit and focus on food for nutrition and find other ways to cope with stress.

@MargaretAM  Your post resonated with me because it is ME exactly!  I also struggle with food and emotional eating.  I'm either 'on the wagon' or 'off the wagon' - and when I fall off, I fall hard and usually eat everything in my kitchen!  I always hate myself afterwards and I wish I could have a normal healthy relationship with food as well as be happy in my own skin.  

This is my second W30 - the first one I did in January and I made it to D40 and then after a weekend away, I restarted and joined this thread.  To be really honest, I'm scared to stop!!  Right now, I eat three meals a day and I don't snack.  This is a big change from my constant grazing and snacking!  I'm just starting to feel the 'full' signal - a signal I thought I had lost forever through years of ignoring it!  I'm really hoping to continue to learn to listen to my body and to learn what foods make me feel good and which don't (through my eventual reintroduction).  I already know dairy will be out for good... sigh.  I love cheese, but I know it doesn't love me. :( 

@MargaretAM  I was getting to the point where I would often eat even when I was  not hungry and knew it would only make me feel gross afterwards. But I just didn't have the will power, it seemed. I kept thinking, "I'll eat healthy later, I might not have the chance to eat ___ again for a long time. Everyone else is eating, so I might as well, too..." and various other justifications. I like to always be improving myself, and started to feel down that I was kind of stagnating (not just in health). I'm hoping to use Whole30 as a jump-start to making better, more intentional food choices that will actually make me happier and healthier, not just bring a momentary pleasure that quickly passes. And I definitely want to use this growth in self-discipline in other areas of my life.

And secondly, if I'm being honest, I definitely want to lose some weight as well. The final motivation to do a Whole30 now and quit putting it off/thinking I'll try something else came because I have a dance performance coming up, the first I have done in a couple of years, and I want to look and perform my best. 

The two parts fit together in a way - I want an attitude change, but also a physical change. The attitude change came almost immediately; I really am excited to be doing this, and just hope I can keep up that good, healthy attitude afterwards! But seeing the physical changes really motivates the attitude change and goes alongside it, like when I look in the mirror at my (almost) clear skin or feel strong during a workout. Last time I lost about 10 lbs, so I'm really hoping for that again this time although I don't want to put my expectations too high and be disappointed. So we'll see. Honestly it's not the number on the scale so much as wanting to see and feel a difference. 

Well, that was longer and more rambling than I intended, but there you have it. :)

12 hours ago, brandyontherun said:

What is everyone prepping for lunches?  I'm finding myself on repeat here (salads, eggs, tuna, 1 fruit) and it's getting boring!  I need lunch ideas that can be prepped ahead!

This week we did buffalo ranch chicken salad. So good. I think I could eat it every day. We are putting it on either cucumbers, or lettuce leafs! 

Here is the recipe from the pinningmama: http://www.thepinningmama.com/buffalo-ranch-chicken-salad-recipe-paleo-whole30-compliant/

11 hours ago, brandyontherun said:

I almost always have dinner leftovers for lunch.  Sometimes I will make a tossed salad to fill it out but usually I make the salad as part of dinner too.  I guess this only works if you aren't counting on eating the leftovers at dinner! 

I am doing my 2nd W30 to fight chronic inflammation.  I am 60 years old and have already been diagnosed with Hashimotos (thyroid) disease, I have "cranky" knees, and I visit the periodontist 3x year.  The further I get from menopause, the more difficult it is to keep those extra pounds off. My husband and I both enjoy cycling, and knocking off even 5 pounds makes a difference in performance especially climbing hills.  Of course running your body on clean fuel helps too! 

More long term, I also read quite a bit about the health impact of the "standard American diet (SAD) and know that the cleaner you eat, the more likely you are to live a longer healthier life.  Retirement is not that far away and I want those years to be healthy and active.  

@brandyontherun I am currently not working, but waiting for it to begin so my meals are absolutely wonderful as I get new recipes on pinterest.com I currently have a fridge full of Preworkout, post-workout and lunch. I'm trying to switch to keep my dinners simple with some fish, burger or chicken along with a mixture of veggies. I am super happy to notice that I have not needed to snack much at all. I have tons of snack options, but I am not hungry throughout the day. I'm excited to make this a way of life going forward.

@Kmyers17 I love it! whole365 did you come up with that yourself? I am leaning towards it too. I am not missing anything at all. It is like a whole new world of eating is open to me. There are things I haven't tried yet. I strongly believe that I deserve the best life I can give myself and I believe I found the plan that works for me. I'm glad to read we're thinking alike. I do not want to go back to the old way. It was stressful. I do not have to avoid crap. It is simply not an option. The rules a clear cut. Will it be a challenge sometimes? Sure. But like another person I know, she will go on a vacation and enjoy a few things off the program and then come back and get right back on it. 

I'm feeling a little blah today.  I still haven't felt any of the extreme things layed out in the timeline.  No major headaches or wanting to kill everything.  It's really not much different.  I'm still sleepy by early afternoon.  I still don't want to get out of bed in the morning.  

I have had some NSV lately that I am trying to focus on to keep me motivated.  I was in a class for 3 hours last night after work.  They set a big ol bowl of candy (the fun size bars of about everything).  I wasn't even really very tempted by it.  The old me would have eaten 5 or 6 of those throughout the night.  But I had a template meal before I went and brought back up snacks (almonds and an apple) just in case.  But I didn't even need them.  Another couple in the classs even ordered a pizza and filled up the whole room with pizza smells.  I happily sipped on my water all evening without much of a thought.  This is a huge win for me because 12 days ago, I had no will power to speak of when it came to food.  

I've also noticed that my joints aren't creaking like they used to.  Before walking up or down stairs, I would hear my knees crackle a little.  Now I could sneak up on somebody like a ninja :)

My approach to food is definitely changing.  This has made me realize how much I grazed before for no reason.  How I ate 10 mints at my desk while working just because they were there.  The first week I had to stop myself from reaching into the communal mint jar at work.  But now I don't even really think about them.  I'm not craving sweets, for the most part.  If I something does sound good, I can usually push it away quickly thinking about the effects it would have.  

Before my blood pressure was borderline high.  I haven't taken my blood pressure since i started the Whole30, but my FitBit shows my heart rate steadily decreasing.  The average weekly rate has decreased by almost 15% in just under 2 weeks! 

Ok, I guess I'm feeling a little less blah.  Listing out those NSV really helped me keep my eye on the prize!  

Happy Friday!

13 hours ago, brandyontherun said:

I prep all my food on Sunday.  I cook up all my meat (so far this has been Ground beef, ground turkey, chicken breasts, drumsticks, and pork chops) and chop it into bite size pieces.  I roast/steam/grill most of my veggies (depends on what is on sale :) )and leave the rest raw for munching which I make dinner.   I get 5 containers and portion out one of the meats and 2 of the veggies.  I sometimes toss some spices in there too if I feel like mixing it up a little.  I alternate the meats and veggies so that I am not eating the same thing every day.  Then I pack up a few small containers of fruit (strawberries or blueberries so far) and some healthy fat (almonds or olives so far).  And that's it.  Then I just grab 1 of each container in the morning and toss them in my lunch bag and head out to work. 
Then the rest of the meat and veg is used for my dinners throughout the week.  

I'm not a morning person and I'm a chronic procrastinator on weeknights.  So I just do it all in about 2 hours or so on Sunday and I'm set for the week.  

I haven't commented in a while because until just yesterday, I was so very crabby and tired that I was concerned about what I might say :)  I was definitely channeling my inner Kathy Bates in Fried Green Tomatoes "I'm older and I have more insurance!!" Yikes.  To chime in on a couple questions posed: I work full time so for lunches I have been using the Premade Paleo site to order some side dishes and a few proteins, though most proteins are mine that I've cooked.  I mix and match them so I don't have to think too much about lunch. I pack a Tessemae sauce or two, and what I eat never seems boring or the same!) I cook breakfast and dinner every night.

I am taking the Whole30 challenge because two weeks before my 50th birthday, 4 blood clots traveled through my heart and into my lungs sending me to the cardiac ICU for several days. I had several months of recovery and a subsequent year of medical PTSD-related trauma that initiated an unhealthy relationship with food and alcohol that I had never, ever had before. So, I intend to lose that weight, change the relationship,  and "get back on the horse." Literally.  And I have no intention of failing, slipping, or succumbing to temptation.

At first, my teenage daughter made fun of me for all the activity going on in the kitchen because I was hardly known for being in it, much less cooking some creation. But now she's curious, and eats some things with me, and is very proud of my determination. 

I read most posts here and am getting a lot of good tips: Tessemae, Barefoot Provisions, etc.  I like Allison's line-it-up for a week of lunches, I will try that.

Thanks everyone! I'm so glad my energy is back and I didn't have to run anyone over!!

Jennifer

@Allison1022 - I relate to the blah feeling.  I've been sick with a cold since last week so feeling tired and still with the cold symptoms.  STILL (sigh!), I now also feel cranky as I want it gone! lol.  So I haven't noticed much in the way of improvements in energy, health, weight, etc.  But, I love your list of NSVs.  I did manage not to look twice (well, okay ... perhaps I looked twice ... but not overly tempted) at two boxes of donuts in the breakroom at work this morning.  But I had brought breakfast with me (mexican breakfast casserole with some avocado) so was happy to heat the casserole up and have that.

@brandyontherun - I've been using leftovers for lunch mostly.  Or at the very least, taking some of the protein from a dinner and using that on a salad for lunch.  Also, I've been trying to steal a meal or two worth from dinners and stuffing them in the freezer to use later.  That way I'm not having pulled pork for 6 meals in a row.  This has been keeping my meals changed up so I'm not having the same protein twice in a day, or day after day after day.  Or I make a soup and divvy that up into the freezer to use once or twice a week for lunch (with a side salad).  I like the variety, and I like the grab-n-go from the freezer.  I do that for breakfast all the time.  Cook something on the weekend and freeze it.  This week I could vary it between the mexican breakfast casserole and a sausage scramble.  Both were great.

@MargaretAM - thanks for posting the "Day 10 and 11 expectations".  I knew that was coming up at some point and really wanted to get on the other side of those.  I was happy to see those were this week and we have survived them!  We are on the other side folks! Woot!  Woot!

Okay, cold begone.  Let's start seeing some of that Tiger's Blood!!  lol

@MargaretAM  The reason I started Whole30 was to try to jumpstart my weight loss again after stalling.  I heard about Wheat Belly and gave up all grains and sugar.  I eventually moved to just low carb.  This has been a year.  I've lost 55 lbs, but got stuck there.  I've read enough that the idea of certain foods causing inflammation makes sense to me.  I've never tried eliminating dairy or artificial sweeteners before, so Whole30 sounded like something I should try.  So besides losing more weight, I hope to eliminate my BP pill.  I've already eliminated one BP pill (I was taking 2 different ones!), a med for triglycerides, and avoided starting medication for high blood sugar.  All of my labs are WNL now, since eating right.

@KatrinaLewis  Like you,  I can't wait to feel great!  I did get a little more sleep last night than I have in a while, so maybe that will continue to improve.

@Aurora  Interesting what you wrote about recognizing the full signal.  I need to re-learn that one too.  I'm worried that I won't be able to "hear" or "read" my body when I get to the reintroduction phase.

@MButcher  I realized since being on Whole30, that I have been doing a lot of eating when not hungry...especially in the evening in front of the TV.  

@ShellyM  I'm with you on eliminating the inflammation.  I have hypothyroidism and have dealt with the fatigue that goes with it.  I'm almost 59 and I too, experience the knees cracking when doing stairs.  I'm hoping that the symptoms are eliminated like with @Allison1022.

@brandyontherun  I too, usually have leftovers from a previous supper.  I did try this recipe for egg drop soup with veges added.  It was good and was easy to take to work with a piece of fruit. http://www.theorganickitchen.org/blog-tutorials/more-egg-citing-egg-drop-soup/

Archived