Starting February 20

MargaretAM

2 hours ago, brandyontherun said:

@Jeanster47 - I've been so so so fricking sore from working out

Struggle: cravings are still through the roof.  There is no way I'll be past this come day 30 (10 days away for me!).  My spouse is sitting beside me eating chips and salsa as we speak and it's quite devastating (lol).  But I have cut back on using fruit to cope.  

Hm, I wonder if that's why I was extra sore after my bike ride last week. I thought it was just because I never bike! Probably a mixture of both...

I would recommend cutting out fruit completely for the remainder of your Whole30. I did that part way through my first time (also cut out nuts, as both of those tend to become mindless eating for me) and this time have just been having it as a treat on the weekends. I've definitely found cutting it out helps with the cravings. And you can get all the nutrients from vegetables that you would from fruit, but with less sugar. Just my two cents :)

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ladies - those suffering from low energy most likely need to up their fat, although anyone looking for specific feedback should post a few days worth of meals & activity levels just in case there's something else lacking.

Just a note that the starchy veg postWO will replenish muscle glycogen, not muscle - that's what the lean protein is for so anyone working out should definitely not be skipping that. And anyone who is particularly active should probably up their protein in general. The meal template is a guide, and one palm sized piece of protein is the absolute minimum you should be eating, but it's perfectly fine to eat more.

@DotinTO - that's a real bummer.  I am feeling very blessed to have such a supporting boyfriend right now.  But you being able to resist his tempting you with that food just shows how strong you are!  Yay you!!

@Lilkathy - I miss gum too!  Wahhhh!  And not so much for the mindless chewing, but for the breath freshener.  Other than toting my toothbrush everyone (not convenient), anyone have any Whole30 suggestions?

I have had a low grade headache both yesterday and today and I'm not sure why.  My water intake is fine and I haven't been doing coffee on this so it shouldn't be a lack of caffeine.  Very annoying.  Plus yesterday I was PMS emotional (a bit teary and mucho annoyed AT EVERYTHING) .... and it's not that time of the month.  I have no idea why.  Diet related?  Something else?  I have no idea! lol

But anyway, end of Day 20 (almost .... I still have dinner).  We are rockin' this!

1 hour ago, xfrapgirl said:

I have had a low grade headache both yesterday and today and I'm not sure why.  My water intake is fine and I haven't been doing coffee on this so it shouldn't be a lack of caffeine.  Very annoying.  Plus yesterday I was PMS emotional (a bit teary and mucho annoyed AT EVERYTHING) .... and it's not that time of the month.  I have no idea why.  Diet related?  Something else?  I have no idea! lol

Could be various things, but my first thought is are you getting enough salt? Most Americans get too much sodium from eating processed foods, but that's NOT a concern on Whole30. In fact, the opposite is true - you should be salting every meal to make sure you get enough.

5 hours ago, xfrapgirl said:

Do you feel like you have bad breath & need a breath freshener? That coupled with the headache, and the teariness would maybe make you think you've gone a little too  low carb. What are you eating in terms of starchy veg? Other than that a number of things can cause headaches - lack of salt as @MButcher has said, lack of fat, lack of water (although you say you're good here), lack of food in general...

Yes, I realize that I should not drink my meals. It was not a replacement. I do know ginger is good for you among all the other veggies. No wonder I want more of it cause it has lots of natural sugars and my body was like oh yeah remember that stuff. Wow! It is powerful. Thank you for the reminder. It is not cheap either. 

I am super excited as my husband returns after a month of training in Texas. I started my journey of whole30 when he left, but I ate corn on accident and had to delay it a week. I was able to make my husband some sausage pancake muffins, white chocolate peanut butter balls and pumpkin cheesecake bars and not taste any of it during the cooking process. I will try to use up the last of my flour and anything that I am not going to eat anymore and then continue  to get him on board with eating stuff with me. 

I have been sleeping so great the last two nights. I have great energy and I am feeling smaller. I am seeing cuts in my legs and my arms. Yippee!! I have no plans on stopping this way of life. I will continue to learn and train this body so I can have the best life has to offer. Keep it up guys.! You're doing great!

12 hours ago, xfrapgirl said:

....Plus yesterday I was PMS emotional (a bit teary and mucho annoyed AT EVERYTHING) .... and it's not that time of the month.  I have no idea why.  Diet related?  Something else?  I have no idea! lol

Oh my gosh! Same here! For like 2 days last week I was so weepy and could not understand why bc it is not TOM and that's what it reminded me of.

6 hours ago, jmcbn said:

Do you feel like you have bad breath & need a breath freshener? That coupled with the headache, and the teariness would maybe make you think you've gone a little too  low carb. What are you eating in terms of starchy veg? Other than that a number of things can cause headaches - lack of salt as @MButcher has said, lack of fat, lack of water (although you say you're good here), lack of food in general...

You had mentioned maybe not enough fat for lack of energy but I get plenty of fats. I did NOT however have any carby veggies last week except one sweet potato and it tasted like heaven so I bet that's it! Thank you! I just roasted up some butternut squash for this week and bought some more sweet potatoes so hopefully this week will be better.

Oh, I also wanted to share something that I made last week for dinner that was SO GOOD and so easy b/c I don't really cook...

I bought a bag of individually wrapped frozen cod at Costco,  so I just took one of those out in the morning to defrost in the fridge. I baked it in ghee and sprinkled Old Bay on it. WHOA! It was so darn good! And so easy. Yum!

18 hours ago, DotinTO said:

DH came home from grocery shopping with cheddar/herb flavoured potato chips and Girl Guide cookies (she had set up shop outside the grocery store). This counts as grounds for divorce, right? :angry:

@DotinTO You're a riot! I think he at least needs to treat you to a pedicure or a massage. Something luxurious.

On 3/11/2017 at 10:41 AM, jmcbn said:

Ladies - those suffering from low energy most likely need to up their fat, although anyone looking for specific feedback should post a few days worth of meals & activity levels just in case there's something else lacking.

Just a note that the starchy veg postWO will replenish muscle glycogen, not muscle - that's what the lean protein is for so anyone working out should definitely not be skipping that. And anyone who is particularly active should probably up their protein in general. The meal template is a guide, and one palm sized piece of protein is the absolute minimum you should be eating, but it's perfectly fine to eat more.

Oh wow good to know. I'll try upping my fat throughout the day too to help with the tired feeling. I've been getting lots of sleep, but I'm still exhausted! I'm going grocery shopping today so I'll grab some extra chicken breast to have on hand.

Haha @DotinTO we're in the same boat. My husband is also not doing the Whole30 with me and although he eats healthy in general, it's really hard to watch him down a delicious looking chocolate milkshake.

I MISS MILK SO MUCH! I think that is the biggest thing I'm craving. Even just some almond milk would be awesome. I think I'm going to make some today. I'll let you know how it goes!

Finally FINALLY seeing some NSVs over the past couple of days. In addition to resisting the siren call of the potato chips and cookies (I had to leave the room, but I still did it!), my energy has definitely levelled off, my headaches have subsided (so far. We'll see what the next round of PMS brings), and I don't feel as flabby as I have been for months. I'm still the same size, clothing-wise, but I part of my reason for doing the Whole 30 was because I always felt heavy and bloated (like, my entire body felt bloated, not just my belly). I still feel a bit paunchy right after I eat, but that subsides pretty quickly and the rest of my body feels lighter and more toned. YAY!! Still some lingering IBS things happening, but not nearly as bad or as consistently as before. Is this the tiger blood feeling starting? ROAR!

15 minutes ago, Jeanster47 said:

I MISS MILK SO MUCH! I think that is the biggest thing I'm craving. Even just some almond milk would be awesome. I think I'm going to make some today. I'll let you know how it goes!

@Jeanster47 Why can't you have almond milk? The one I buy doesn't have anything non-compliant in it (not that I've used it much, TBH. I really only ever used it on cereal, and I don't drink coffee). I'm missing CHEESE way more. French onion soup without the gruyere just isn't the same, ya know?

Hope the homemade almond milk works out!

15 hours ago, xfrapgirl said:

- I miss gum too!  Wahhhh!  And not so much for the mindless chewing, but for the breath freshener.  Other than toting my toothbrush everyone (not convenient), anyone have any Whole30 suggestions?

I've been wondering about this too. I use a fair amount of garlic (in pesto, roasted veg, homemade pasta sauce, etc.) and where I used to just pop some gum or mints after eating while out (like at work, for instance) I am now left worried I'm offending people! Can we use mouthwash since we're not actually consuming anything?

10 minutes ago, DotinTO said:

Can we use mouthwash since we're not actually consuming anything?

Yep. Not a problem.

Other options are chewing on cloves, or mint leaves or the like. It's been discussed at length on the forums so a quick Google for 'whole30 breath freshener' should bring up quite a few results.

BLIZZARD!!  Here in the northeast US we are getting ready for snowpocalypse with over a foot of snow expected in and around NYC.  Sounds like a good opportunity for stormin' the kitchen!  (Not sure yet what I will be cooking)

Wanderimg through Whole Foods a few days ago I came upon a pkg of beet noodles and I have been putting them under everything! Fried egg at breakfast, meatballs for lunch, fish for dinner.  That got me thinking about buying a spiralizer.  Right now I think I will stick with buying a pkg of veggie noodles even though they are pricey, but anyone have a spiralizer? 

Over the weekend I went to a 1st birthday party for my great niece and it was surprisingly easy to resist the birthday cake and pastries. Then my husband and I visited his cousins (unfortunately after their mom died).  We were sitting around chatting when a plate of cookies appeared. After staring at them for 10 minutes my husband was about to reach for one and I talked him out of it.  That brings me to a NSV.  When considering off plan food choices, it'a easier to say no when I realize I would regret the decision almost immediately. It's also easier to navigate the W30 lifestyle with a support team! So thanks everyone for your support and sharing your journey.  

Mid last week I injured my hand  while working in the horse paddock and had to have my rings cut off my finger. A very painful event and one that in the aftermath would normally have triggered bad food and drink choices to cope.  Not this time though!  I stayed 100% on plan although when the adrenaline pumped down I missed a couple of meals and could really feel the effects of that the next day.

I would say that in days 18-20 I felt that I had conquered the fear of not having appropriately filling meals and even got a little over-confident that I could just pop into the kitchen and whip something up (I HATE to cook--to answer one of the questions from last week.)  Prior to that I treated the Whole30 like a battle to be won and I wanted all the ammunition I could get: I ordered Pre-Made Paleo dishes and sides, US Wellness meats, sauces, dressings, and I subscribed to realplans.com for shopping lists and recipes. Anything to make it easier to succeed.

Now, I can happily report that going into the final 8 days, I am at peace (no more battles :) ) and I am enjoying the process instead of fighting through it.  I am focusing heavily on timing of meals and portions/allocations. And I am savoring how I feel mentally and physically throughout the day and the evenings.  I'm treating my kitchen like a "special place" instead of somewhere to pass through to get outside.

I'm still planning to continue on after 30, I would like to do one more Whole 30 to really solidify how I feel.  I do have a question for the group:  What do you think is the best "grab and go" meal when you absolutely cannot cook or prepare?  It would be good to have a small stash of "just in case" items for an impossible morning. I had one of those mornings and I grabbed an individual to-go box of bone broth, an apple, and an RX Bar. Is that terrible, so-so or an OK-in-the-pinch meal?  What do you think?

4 hours ago, ShellyM said:

Wanderimg through Whole Foods a few days ago I came upon a pkg of beet noodles and I have been putting them under everything! Fried egg at breakfast, meatballs for lunch, fish for dinner.  That got me thinking about buying a spiralizer.  Right now I think I will stick with buying a pkg of veggie noodles even though they are pricey, but anyone have a spiralizer? 

Awesome NSV's!  You're strong to avoid the sweets!  Great job!

I have a spiralizer!  I love mine, but should use it more often.  I bought mine off of Amazon - it's the one you set on the counter with a handle that you crank, I've heard the hand held ones you twist don't work as well.  It wasn't very expensive and works awesome!  

@ShellyM I have a spiralizer as well. I absolutely love it. I make cucumber "noodles" for a cold noodle salad with a rice vinegar/sesame oil/ginger dressing. I found that zucchini noodles work incredible well in lo mein recipes (and they are super quick to make). I also make zucchini noodles with pesto or tomato sauce. 

@JenniferPasoFino Your choice for grab-n-go was compliant, but Rxbars and similar are typically recommended only for emergencies - note, I have often eaten RXbars and larabars outside of emergencies, just sharing what I have seen as the recommendation- (ex: plane delayed and you are stuck on a plane/in the airport with no other compliant choices). It seemed to be lacking in protein as well. A lot of people on other threads recommend pouches of compliant tuna and olives as a good choice for those just in case moments. I like to grill chicken and portion it out, keep some extra baggies of sliced bell pepper and cucumber, and mayo or olives in the fridge that make a quick option that if I haven't needed by the end of the week, my husband can use for post-work out meals. 

Found this brand of olives for making the picadillo recipe someone posted earlier (which is really good!). Nothing but water and salt added, and they have a very mild flavor. I really like them! Just thought I'd share in case there's anyone like me who's looking to add more variety to their fats but isn't a big olive fan.

Edit: the picture isn't showing up :(

The brand is called Lindsay Naturals, the kind I got California Green Ripe Medium.

@JenniferPasoFino - I hope your hand is ok!  I try to gave some hard boiled eggs in the fridge as a grab and go protein along with washed and ready veggies.  It's the fat I sometimes struggle with.  

Typically, I actually cut up some veggies at night and put them in a container and throw them in the frying pan on low with coconut oil while I shower (my wonderful hubby stirs them for me ;)) when I get out I throw eggs in (omelette or sunny side up!) to go with them.  That's my usual breakfast and it's pretty quick if I get it ready partway at night. 

My NSV of the day... it's our spring break this week and my kids wanted to go to the movies.  Both kids munched on popcorn (that smelled amazing!) and I didn't touch it.  I actually was ok not having it even if it did smell good... :D 

Morning All.

Happy Day 23!  Wow - one week to go.  That is crazy! I'm so proud of me and all of us for getting through the many ups and downs thus far!

I finally succumbed to the cold going around and around and am sick. Boo.  

Re: the topic about mouthwash/gum/mints. I do something a little out of the ordinary and definitely not for everyone. I chew on a piece of cinnamon stick. I got in the habit of doing this in India and I love it. A 1/2 stick takes bad flavors out of my mouth and is pretty satisfying.  But you have to really like cinnamon.

Re: grab and go. I do hard boiled eggs, cut veggies, packets of olives or, in a pinch, an Epic bar. For me Rx bars and the like are too reminiscent of treats. I also like making the salmon cakes in the W30 book and they are easy to grab and go. They are especially yummy with homemade mayo - though admittedly a little messier.

NSV's: husband's birthday celebration. Food and drinks everywhere. I sipped on seltzer water with lime and went home and had a big ol' protein salad and felt proud of me.

Random thoughts for today. Have a good day everyone!

@MargaretAM  Feel better!  Colds suck. 

@JenniferPasoFino Hope your hand is getting better and congrats on finding peace in the kitchen.

@MButcher How I love that picadillo with big fat green olives. 

@TryingOver and @*Aurora* Looked at spiralizers on Amazon but decided to hold off.  Right now I think I prefer the convenience of buying them already noodlized vs. having another appliance in the kitchen 

One of the big NSVs for me (and I suspect many other people) is gaining confidence in the kitchen (I even successfully made mayo yesterday)  and learning to invest the time in taking care of myself   My style in the kitchen has become less structured and more "cook-upish."  I cook various things and then figure out different ways to combine them.  It's usually something to put on the bottom, a protein, a sauce or dressing and then some sort of salad.   Seems to be working well for both me and DH. 

I have a high quality radio/CD player in the kitchen and I listen to all kinds of music while cooking and prepping. Today's playlist included Dave Mathews Band and Dusty Springfield. Anybody else have a kitchen playlist? 

So today is a snow day in metro NYC.  Just about everything is shut down, including most mass transit.  Using it as a cook-up opp. 

Round one in the kitchen: chicken broth in the Instant Pot (I keep a bag for bones and scraps in the freezer), curry chicken salad, tropical salsa.  (Now waiting for the dishwasher to finish its cycle). Round Two will be salmon cakes and probably meatballs (for the freezer). 

Archived