Starting February 20

MargaretAM

Weird day today.  On the commute to work I had a sudden craving for a frothy, sugary coffee!  I haven't had any significant cravings really this entire time (and it is day 23!), but this one (and others) kept popping in throughout the day.  I figure because it was such a dreary weather day (as many, many, MANY days have been this winter in the Pacific Northwest).  Also I was a bit hungry most of the day (also exceedingly unusual for me).  Breakfast was the norm but lunch was different.  I made the cardamon carrot soup and had some of that with an apple chicken sausage.  The soup was tasty .... but I just found the meal to be drudgery scoop after orange scoop.  So I didn't eat all of that.  Had some almonds and apple later in the day (also unusual as I haven't had any snacks since the first couple of days).  But recovered with dinner and made it through.  Whew!  I'll be sure no soup tomorrow (perhaps I'll just use that as a side dish to a dinner perhaps) and maybe up some fats.  Though I have faith tomorrow will be back on track and craving free!

Hope everyone else had a great day!  And hope those in the NE are safe, warm, and digging out of all that snow.

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope everyone is doing great!  I have noticed lately that I've been thinking about food a lot.  Not cravings perse, but thinking about all the wonderful things I will bake once I finish W30 (macarons, biscotti, and harvest bread are on the menu!). 

I did notice that when I eat some fruit I feel hungrier earlier, nothing that a distraction or water wont cure.  I also noticed that I may be overeating protein.  Palm size for me its about 2.3 oz, but I think I eat close to 5 oz of protein on most of my meals.  Also fat almost always there, but I sometimes forget to add some.  These realizations have made me feel blue since I don't think I'll be down any lbs at the end.  Overall I feel good, don't have tiger's blood, had it but lost it.  The good news is that we have less than a week to go! 

I'm hating my husband, who quit on me, right now.  He's been eating cereal and chocolate all weekend.  I haven't caved, but they do smell wonderful.  I can survive without soda, maybe bread, but chocolate is a hard line for me ;) 

Keep pushing yall

K

Had some raisins with dinner last night (in the picadillo and then as "ants on a log" when I was still hungry). And found myself still feeling hungry after that but knew I had had enough food. So I downed a bunch of water, realizing that I hadn't had as much as usual throughout the day, and distracted myself with homework. And by probably about 30 minutes later, I wasn't noticing the feeling at all. I think both sugar (from the raisins and maybe plantains) and dehydration were messing with my hunger cues. Lesson learned: be careful with these, and mindful of how I interpret my body's signals.

Another lesson - pre-WO really makes a difference. I skipped it on Monday because I'd just had a big dinner about 2 hours before, and I could feel a difference. I had to go down in weight/takes rests on a couple of things I'd just pushed through last week.

Looking forward to doing the reintros and seeing how those go. Peanut butter for day 1 (one of my favorite foods)!

Also looking forward to getting to weigh and measure myself. I'm very curious, and also very motivated by quantitative results (though I know they aren't the main focus...).

@xfrapgirl - hopefully your cravings are under control today... with your coffee cravings and the soup you should have but didn't enjoy, it sounds like your body/brain is trying to derail you!  Keep strong!

@KatKat - I hope that you'll forgive your husband... LOL!  I'd be mad too - but you've just shown him you're stronger. ;) I too am starting to notice that I'm enjoying fruit maybe a little too much and I need to cut back.  Also... sweet potatoes... I'm maybe over using them.  No tiger blood here either.

@MButcher - Water... I'm horrible for not drinking enough!  And I also notice I can get confused with thirst/hunger signals!  I have to admit, I too am looking forward to 'checking in' with measurements and the scale even though I've been focusing on NSV's and how I've been feeling. 

Yesterday we had some errands to run which took far longer then we meant it too.  I did have an Rx bar in my purse, but didn't eat it - instead my husband pulled into Montana's restaurant!  He NEVER goes out for food!  So... I was torn!  I'm excited to go to a restaurant but scared because I don't know what to order!  I ended up getting the smallest steak and a plain baked potato (raw carrots on the side).  I asked that they hold the butter, sauce or fixings.  I'm proud of myself because I typically would have ordered a cheesy cream sauce pasta dish and didn't even look at them! :D 

Oh, I forgot to mention - have any of you read 'Food Freedom Forever'?  I'm about half way through and I highly recommend it!  I'm scared about 'life after W30' but I think the book helps sort through all those fears. 

My NSV - my fatigue is drastically improved. I was able to do much more than normal yesterday which was great. My mini-workouts have been slowly getting longer. 

I'm also getting better about planning for leftovers and batch cooking instead of doing recipes for everything. 

Has anyone else been thinking of/planning reintroductions? I won't be doing reintroductions with everyone here because I have a medical procedure at the end of my Whole30 that requires some dietary changes. I'm not using this as an excuse to be going off track (even though the list of approved foods is cake, ice cream, custard, etc). I'll be eating lean, soft meats, mashed potatoes and bone broth while you all are doing reintroductions. And then, because of the procedure, I'll definitely be doing another 30 days compliant before doing reintroductions to make sure I get accurate results.  

@TryingOver - I'm undecided right now!  Part of me wants to keep going a little longer (my skin is still breaking out, but not as bad) but I also want to make sure I do a careful reintroduction especially before Easter where we will be visiting family.  I hope your procedure goes well - good luck!

What is everyone else thinking of doing?  Is Tuesday really 30 days?!  

@*Aurora* My skin is still breaking out too. I had really hoped for some drastic improvement, but so far no go. I broke out horribly during the first week and am still recovering from that, so maybe it will start clearing up now? I dunno. I'm going to save dairy for one of my last re-intros, as I was already suspicious of it before I started the W30.

I'm planning to stick primarily to the rules and do a reeeeaaaallly slow and drawn out re-intro process. I'll have glass or two of bubbly on day 31 (yay!) and then probably add rice (just so I can have sushi again). But I'm going to wait a week or so before adding anything else, and keep going that way. I figure I'll still be doing W30 + selective re-intros for another month or two at least. I still have so many pantry items I bought for W30 that I might as well keep using them rather than reverting back to regular butter and soy sauce, you know? I never did get around to using all of that bloody coconut cream, though. 

45 minutes ago, *Aurora* said:

What is everyone else thinking of doing?  Is Tuesday really 30 days?!  

I'm amazed that it's been 30 days. I'm not anxious to introduce other foods. I feel good and I don't want that to change. I have a bag of healthy potato chips, dried blueberries and some Peleo bread waiting for me. However, I have bought a few things that are Paleo friendly. I want to be smart. We shall see.

I have a cold.  AGAIN.  Two times within this 30 days when I don't think I was sick even once last year!  Ridiculous!  The first time I thought "coincidence"...but now I'm wondering if there is a correlation between the colds and the new diet.  I mean, seriously, could my immune system truly be stronger on pizza and ice cream?!  Sounds hilarious.  And I'd be laughing if I wasn't so frustrated and confused.  I want to be healthier, happier and see positive results on W30.  Not be sick all the time.  Thank goodness the 30 days are almost up.

I do like eating three meals and not being hungry in between (except for that one day).  And not having sugar crashes is nice.  But I have not been sleeping better (awake between 2am and 4 am last night)..... my skin (psoriasis) hasn't gotten worse .... but it isn't healed either.  I think my clothes are a wee bit looser ... but I'm still wearing the same clothes I was before this.  Phooey.

The good news is .... this is day 26.  I am going to skip the wine day on the 31st as I already know wine does not like me (though the book was very interesting in pointing out that it could be due to sulphites in the wine, and not the alcohol.  Which makes sense as straight tequila and me get along quite well! ;))  I want to test dairy (and lord knows I could use me a change up for breakfast with a little nonfat plain Greek yogurt and fruit!  Mmm Mmm Mmmm. ).  And test gluten.  Then I need a cheat meal ..... and a frothy  coffee beverage from a coffee shop!  Then I think I'll settle back into more of the W30 for the longer term.  I do love that the bf and I are using veggies a lot more .... especially cauliflower for rice and for mashes.  Works great for me!  Oh, and I just saw this recipe today and passed it on to the bf.  Looks like a great way to make enchiladas healthier (the cheese and/or amount of cheese obviously can be changed up)

http://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/recipes/a51783/zucchini-enchiladas-recipe/

Glad to hear everyone else seems to be doing better!  We are sooooooo close!! :)

@xfrapgirl Feel better

@MButcher and @*Aurora*  I really need to drink more water too!  My husband is always yelling at me about this.  I know its one of the reasons my skin is so dry, especially in winter.  

@TryingOver  Glad you are feeling less fatigued and good luck moving forward 

I am headed out to do my grocery shopping with a W30 plan, even though Monday will be day 30.  So I am going to stick with it for a while longer.  I would like to reintroduce a few items, but at this point I don't want to tempt either the sugar dragon or the carb monster.  I don't really drink, not even wine, so there are no adult beverages calling me. It will be nice to ease up a bit and not worry if a salad dressing is compliant so I can have lunch out or eat at various work events.  I am thinking of how I am going to handle Passover seder in 3 weeks, which can be a wheat-fest with a side of brisket! 

Today planning on salmon cakes, cole slaw, baby back ribs (in the crock pot) and whatever veggies look good. 

@xfrapgirl I'm so sorry you are sick again. It's funny but with my cold I have been getting comments from others, similar to what you are saying: "maybe all this healthy eating is making you sick", "maybe junk food was defending against germs"....  Personally, I need to keep my eye on the long-term, way beyond this 30 days. I KNOW in my heart that this eating is good for me and that what I was doing wasn't working.  I have made a commitment to myself to integrate these changes over the long haul.

But it has been hard to be so sick this past week.  I have been bummed that I am not able to see what benefits I may be having this last week on W30 because of being sick.  It was also hard to stay compliant - I didn't go off plan and I had to force down meals sometimes but I did it. 

@ShellyM I feel similarly to you re: re-introduction. I am in no hurry to re-introduce grains or dessert-y things.  And @xfrapgirl I also really love focusing on three solid meals a day.

I think my re-introduction will include dairy and alcohol over the next two weeks.  Dairy because I am missing yogurt and the ability to supplement my daily protein intake with yogurt and whey. Alcohol because as I said earlier my husband and I are going away next weekend for his 60th birthday and I would like to enjoy some wine with him. 

I go away again the following weekend for a work trip. It will also be nice during these trips to not have to be so diligent when eating out about the types of oil my food is cooked in or that the turkey on the salad may have carrageenan in it.

During the two weeks I will continue to focus on the meal template and mostly compliant eating with the exceptions noted above.  When I get back from the second trip, I am going to evaluate where I am at and how I am feeling and decide how to proceed from there.  Re-introduce more? Feel like I can benefit from another W30? I am open.

I would love to hear what others are doing for reintroduction. I'm going to miss this group when we finish.

I am so nervous and unsure about reintroduction. I've read up on it again and again, but for some reason I'm so intimidated/anxious about it. I don't feel like I have a good plan in place. I think I might just stick with w30 for another week or so. I am hoping to see group members stick around past Tuesday so we can keep each other posted on our progress.

I'm definitely sticking around for another 30. I need to read up on reintro but am not craving anything other than plain oatmeal.  I'm not adding anything until Friday when I have a glass of Rombauer Chardonnay.  After that I will try the oatmeal.   My digestion has been impeccable for the entire time and I know it's because of this way of eating so I really don't want to screw that up.  

I lent my book to a coworker so I dont have the reintro pages are they online as welll? 

Sounds like several of us are going to stay with the program, with more of the slow roll approach to reintroductions.  I'm thinking W44,  add another 2 weeks and then re-evaluate again.  

Here's a NSV.  My husband is doing this with me and he is snoring less!  That's a win-win for both of us!  I may have to keep him on W30 forever. 

Sunday is a cook-up day for me and I made these salmon cakes.  https://meljoulwan.com/2014/11/10/oven-fried-salmon-cakes/ My husband devours them. 

I also made this cream of broccoli soup in the instant Pot for the first time: http://nomnompaleo.com/post/152520388838/instant-pot-curried-cream-of-broccoli-soup  I like making a veggie soup.  I will have a cup or a bowl with any meal to increase veggie intake.  

I made this smoky ketchup for the second time.  Its more like a BBQ sauce. https://books.google.com/books?id=efbhCwAAQBAJ&pg=PT402&lpg=PT402&dq=smoky+ketchup+eat+fat&source=bl&ots=3zBQIMFyrS&sig=NVWHB8vpASk6wipfdDNkLFlthfw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjU-ZOinOPSAhUJ42MKHU91C0IQ6AEILzAD#v=onepage&q=smoky ketchup eat fat&f=false

Looking for something to use the smoky sauce?  If you have a slow cooker, I highly recommend this: https://meljoulwan.com/2012/02/23/5-spice-slow-cooker-pork-ribs/  After taking the ribs out of the crockpot, I slather on the BBQ sauce and throw it in the oven (I don't bother making the sauce from the drippings). 

Anybody else cooking' good stuff?

@ShellyM Thanks for the recipes! 

Last night I made stuffed squash that was tasty, but I didn't follow a recipe. I just roasted the halved carnival squash (acorn or other similar sized squash would work too), then while that was cooking, sauteed garlic, onions, 1 apple, fresh sage and other spices (thyme, corriander, garlic powder, onion powder and red pepper flakes) and browned ground pork. Then stuffed the squash with the pork mix and topped with pecans and finished in the oven to roast the pecans (I used raw ones). 

Mmmm!  Thanks for sharing @ShellyM and @TryingOver!

I feel like I've spent the entire weekend in the kitchen!  I made the butternut squash soup recipe out of the W30 book and had it for lunch today (yum!) and also made this zucchini lasagna with cashew cream sauce for my lunches this week:

http://teacherpop.org/2016/03/teach-eat-repeat-recipe-whole30-lasagna/

It smells amazing but I'll have to wait until tomorrow to try it.  

Unfortunately, I also made bread for my family... let me tell you, the smell was heavenly!  LOL!  I recently bought a bread maker with a gluten free setting and have been experimenting with recipes.  Both my daughter and husband are gluten sensitive and we've been buying GF bread for years, but it's so pricey (and not terribly tasty).   Buying a breadmaker while starting a W30 was kinda a cruel torture, but I did it to myself and have resisted all temptation!  

1 hour ago, *Aurora* said:

Unfortunately, I also made bread for my family... let me tell you, the smell was heavenly!  LOL!  I recently bought a bread maker with a gluten free setting and have been experimenting with recipes.  Both my daughter and husband are gluten sensitive and we've been buying GF bread for years, but it's so pricey (and not terribly tasty).   Buying a breadmaker while starting a W30 was kinda a cruel torture, but I did it to myself and have resisted all temptation!  

@*Aurora* I had a bread machine many years ago for the same reason. My son was sensitive to wheat and I made him wheat-free bread.  I'm not sure I ever found a great recipe, but it was better than most store-bought.  At one point I kept it in the garage (which was connected to the kitchen) so I didn't have to be tempted by the smells!   

@ShellyM - I still haven't found the perfect GF recipe, but she liked my last loaf even though it seemed kinda heavy.  My problem is that she also has issues with eggs and most recipes I've found call for eggs.  I'm trying different egg substitutes but it's hard to make those kinds of changes in bread.  Sigh.  The garage is a good idea!!  Lol!

Almost there!!  These last few days have been so hard!  I found myself thinking it's been four weeks, two days won't make a difference. I pushed through though. I love the W30 concept, but I'm definitely looking forward to adding grains again. I will do another round in the near future to do the reintroduction properly. I hope y'all are staying strong!

Two recipes I really enjoyed the past week were Bora Bora meatballs and Salmon cakes from Mel Joulwans website. 

Archived