Starting February 20

MargaretAM

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So far I've tried some regular butter on a baked potato and no problems.

Continuing on my mostly W30 plan, tonight I made a beef stir fry from Well Fed Weeknights.  Wow, it was delicious! Here's a link: http://www.anediblemosaic.com/30-minute-sesame-beef-and-snap-pea-stir-fry-skillet-supper-and-well-fed-weeknights-cookbook-review/

(The cookbook has lots of variations. You can use chicken, pork, shrimp, and different veggies/sauces)

Next steps for me are to increase my physical activity.  I have been dealing with "grumpy knee" all winter and have not been very active.  Hoping the warmer weather will make it easier to be outside.  But post-menopuase I really need to make strength training a regular thing.  

Hello, all! Well, a few days post 30 and I'm still feeling pretty good. I've reintro'd wine, white rice, GF soy sauce, black beans, sugar (as in, not avoiding stuff if it has sugar in it, not as in chowing down on sweets!), and non-compliant oil (vegetable). I'm still holding off on dairy and most grains for now, but will likely add in quinoa at some point this week. Here's hoping it's okay, as I find it's often in GF options that are otherwise compliant. 

I don't own a scale, and I didn't take measurements because I didn't want this journey to be about weight, BUT, I had weighed myself shortly before starting and just weighed myself yesterday and it looks like I've dropped about 5lbs. My clothes have been fitting better and I haven't felt bloated like I used to, but I honestly didn't think I'd lost anything. So that was a nice surprise.

NSVs: still have sustained energy during the day, which is AMAZING, as I'd been suffering from severe mid-afternoon slumps forever. NO MIGRAINES!! Even though I'm at the point in my cycle when I'd normally be blinded by a headache, I've got nothing. Such a huge relief! My skin is sadly still a mess (damn you, adult acne!), but I am hopeful that it will improve the longer I keep dairy and grains out of my diet. I've also noticed that my mood is better overall and I'm feeling really body-positive in a way that I haven't in a long time. That is a very unexpected NSV, as I'd been feeling really down on myself about gaining 20lbs over the past couple of years. I'm going to channel this newfound positivity into actually starting to exercise (I LOATHE working out), even if that just means making an effort to do some yoga and go for a good walk a few times a week. My body is telling me to MOVE!

Hope all of you who are still checking in here are having a smooth reintroduction process. Here's to continued success!

Didn't have any reaction to almonds yesterday either! I think it must have been the almond butter that I forgot out in the car for a few hours after opening. Going to toss the rest of that...

Planning to reinto lentils and non-gluten grains this week.

I had a huge baking/cooking day with my grandma, to make some meals for my family since my mom's had bronchitis. None of it was compliant, but I just enjoyed the process of making it and didn't have a taste :)

Hi everyone!

@DotinTO - glad to hear your reintro has been smooth so far.  And @MButcher -great job on the bakefest.  That would have been a challenge for me ... I do love me the baked goods! :)

I reintro'd dairy last Wed and had a headache on Wed afternoon, Thursday all day, AND Friday afternoon.  Also constipated up through last night (TMI?? lol).  Anyway, I don't think any of that is dairy related ... I still think it has to do with this damn cold!  My bf thinks the headaches (which I normally don't get) are sinus headaches based on the symptoms I was telling him.  I don't know but I'm glad the headache part seems to have tapered off over the weekend ...... though there is still weird head stuff going on.  My sister was saying that some folks who start a clean diet feel like crap for awhile as the cells start releasing their toxins.  I guess that makes sense ..... and that I am still sick-ish ... being that I lived on carbs and sweets for decades!  Ugh.  But I hope the detoxing finishes soon and I get back to feeling healthy!

But I did stick to my schedule and reintro'd gluten on Saturday.  I had a plain bagel with clarified butter (plus 4 small chicken sausage links and a banana) for breakfast.  I was surprised that kept me full enough til lunch (I would normally just have a bagel and coffee so I think making sure I had protein was a win).  Then I had whole wheat penne pasta topped with a leftover chicken sausage and ground turkey sauce.  I've got to say, that sauce was WAY better over the spaghetti squash!  I didn't like that pasta at all.  I'm not positive if it was because it was pasta (and my tastes have changed) .... or because it was whole wheat pasta.  But regardless, I won't be quick to jump on the pasta bandwagon again soon ... so that's good.  For dinner I stuck to a W30 compliant meal as I was going to the theater (Mamma Mia!!!) and didn't want any digestive surprises! :)  But all in all, gluten day was fine.  I didn't notice any ill effects.

I am going to retest dairy tomorrow.  If the headaches and constipation return, well .... bye bye dairy.  But my expectations are that my stomach won't be thrilled with the Greek yogurt, but that the cheese and milk will be fine. (fingers crossed).  We'll see. :)

I have really only added honey. I ate some french dressing that was less than desirable, but I did my best with what was available. I simply do not have a desire to eat just anything. I feel I am invested all the more in my body and taking care of it. Great abs start in the kitchen. I love the body that I have and I know it is only going to get better. Food simply doesn't control me. If I don't want to eat it, I feel 100% okay in making that decision. As a result, I need to make sure I have acceptable snacks with me when like today, my salad did not fill me up. I am learning, but super happy to continue moving forward. 

I reintro-ed Peanut Butter on Saturday.  I had a headache most of the afternoon/evening on Saturday, all day Sunday, and part of Monday.  I'm not sure if it was the sugar in the peanut butter (I got a "natural" option, but it still had sugar and molasses in the ingredients).  Either way, the peanut butter didn't taste quite as good as it used to, so I'm not too concerned about leaving it out of my diet for the most part.  

I'm testing Corn today.  I air-popped a little popcorn to eat with my breakfast this morning.  I have steamfresh corn to add into my lunch and I'm planning on having corn on the cob with my dinner.  I have corn tortilla chips to try today, but I may not do those today since I have several other items.  

Some big NSVs this weekend!  I went on a little roadtrip (4 hours roundtrip) with my family on Friday right over a meal time.  Instead of thinking that my 30 days are up and I can eat whatever again, I stuck to my guns.  I gathered up some food to take with me instead of getting the fast food.  They were giving me a hard time about my boiled eggs, carrots, and nuts, but oh well.  On Saturday, I went to another family gathering where they had pulled pork sandwiches, chips and salsa, cake, etc.  It was tough to bypass my Aunt's chips and salsa, but I was satisfied with just some of the pulled pork, carrots, and fresh fruit.  I'm sure the sauce on the pork had sugar in it, but I had to find a way to be flexible if this is going to be a long-term change.  

I've gotten a reaction with everything I've tried so far, so that's a bit of a bummer, but also eye-opening.  That's probably how I got to where I am today.  Bread is on the schedule for later this week.  I'm almost positive I'm going to have a gluten reaction, but I just want to test it out to see how bad it is to determine how often it's worth it. :)

Hey all, please note that effective April 1, 2017 all store bought chips are no longer Whole30 compliant. This decision was made with our Whole30ers in mind so that everyone can get the most out of their Whole30 and clear up prior confusion. Best wishes!

Yesterday I didn't pack lunch, and I was pressed for time, so I grabbed a sandwich.  OK, wheat re-intro was happening.  I ate the sandwich at about 1:30.  When I got on the train home at 5:30, I totally zonked out.  I have not fallen asleep on the train since I started this journey.  Then, my grumpy knee was even grumpier overnight.  Wheat is a no go. 

Interesting about the wheat Shelly. 

After my weigh in and not having lost any weight, I spent the next day or so feeling sorry for myself but not intending to give up. I weighed again two days later and had lost 5 pounds. I weighed in two days after that and had lost another 2. So I lost a total of 7 pounds on my Whole30. I have absolutely no idea how this could happen, but the inches were gone, so it makes sense the weight would too. Same scale, same time of day, same everything.  So I am eating Whole30 now for the most part but I wanted a celebratory muffaletta (with cheese bread no less) and it posed no digestive problems. Interestingly, legumes did NOT fare well. I tried falafel and got severe stomach cramps and this morning a vegan shepherds pie with black beans and it's a little better but not great. It's kind of a digestive nightmare. Beans may have to go bye-bye.

The other thing that isn't sitting well is wine. And it was my favorite thing in the world. But now when I drink it, I am so "inflamed" feeling it's just awful. I don't sleep well and I feel truly terrible.  

The one thing I didn't enjoy about Whole30 is I spent a disproportionate time in the kitchen, and I'm not super organized, so I found articles on meal delivery services that are Paleo, Whole30, etc. and chose one out of  Charlotte, NC called The Good Kitchen. The food is amazingly, crazy good. And it frees me up to look into swimming at the gym until my knee can get back to tennis and horseback riding.  I am not a sponsor or have any connection to this company, just an individual raving fan. Their brisket was so good it almost made me cry :)

Good luck everyone with reintros and new discoveries.

Jennifer

Miss hearing from you guys. Anyone still around? Dairy doesn't settle well with me, as I was suspecting. Reintro-ed it over a few days. Milk, Greek yogurt, and Gouda bothered me. But butter, blue cheese, and feta seemed to be fine. Didn't seem to have any trouble with gluten.

Hi! I'm still here. I've still been eating mostly W30. My guy and I have gone out for sushi, we had Indian on our anniversary and I have had a few glasses of wine, all of which sat fine with me. I'm letting myself have things on occasions but sticking with W30 templates the majority of the time. I've still not allowed myself any sweets. I don't want to start down that slippery slope. 

I still check in here from time to time.  

I've reintro-ed all the categories, but I'm slowly going back and reintroducing particular food items as they arise.  

Ice Cream gave me a stomach ache.  I'm not sure if it was the ice cream itself or just because it came at the end of a day full of dairy products.  I've had a little bit of cheese here and there and it hasn't been a problem.  So, I think I'll stick to small amounts, like no more than one serving a day and only then if I really really want it.  Haha.  

Gluten makes me nauseous and dizzy.  And then the next day or two, I am meaner.  I get more immediate reactions on somethings than others.  Like I had a ghoulash with whole wheat noodles and my stomach felt bloaty and nauseous within 30 minutes or so.  Another day, I had a small slice of bread for a bruschetta type dish and had so reaction.  For the most part, I am stearing clear of gluten.  Mostly just the obvious ones like bread, pasta, etc.  I'm not worrying to much about gluten additives to soups or sauces or things like that.  

Most days I stick pretty closely to Whole30.  I've relaxed the added sugar rule, but still try to avoid where I can.  I ate out with my family this weekend.  I got a delicious chicken and strawberry salad and wasn't even tempted by my usual fry addiction.  So, I'm slowly but surely getting there!  My brother and sister-in-law are thinking about doing their own Whole30, so they had a bunch of questions for me this weekend. :)

I'm still here.  I've finished my official reintros (mostly everything is okay .... cheese may bug me a bit  (but not so much that I won't have it ever (heh!!)). 

Monday through Friday I'm keeping to Whole30 pretty well for lunches and dinners.  But I could not do the egg breakfasts anymore!  So I am back to my whey protein shake (with frozen fruit and fresh spinach) in the mornings.  It doesn't keep me AS satisfied until lunch as the Whole30 breakfasts were ....but it is survivable.  Plus there are no eggs!!  Which makes me happy!  And it is delicious!  And I don't mind having the same thing 5 mornings a week, week after week, after week.  So ... there's that.  I checked and this whey protein does contain some sugar in it.  But I had just purchased a big container of it prior to Whole30, so once it is gone I will look around to see if I can find one without sugar in it.

Weekends have not been so Whole30! lol.  Usually one day is a whatever day (though certainly with healthier choices than had been the norm).  The other is pretty close to Whole30.  So far the body has been fine with it.  My measurements have continued to get smaller (slowly .... but still on the downward trek) so I'm happy with this balance of mostly eating healthy, but still able to go out to dinner and not worry about every single ingredient.

Though I think the most exciting things so far has been getting to have gum again!  Whoo hooo!!!  So exciting!  Now I can freshen the breath at work without having to trudge off to the bathroom with toothbrush and toothpaste in hand!

Hope everyone is feeling great!

• 2 weeks later...

See that wagon over there? I fell off it, HARD. Started re-intros and and all was going fine. Rice, corn, soy, no problems. Sugar dragon cracked an eyelid every now and then, but was mostly still snoozing away. Then I got a horrible cold, so I felt like crap no matter what I ate. Then, while I was still sick, we went on vacation, and even though I tried to stay mostly on plan, being at the mercy of restaurant menus I failed miserably. Then the cold turned into a sinus infection, for which I've had to take awful antibiotics that make my stomach feel like Freddie Kruger has had a go at it. Have now reverted back to eating pretty much exactly the same way I did before I started, and I have no idea if any of it is actually making me feel like crap, because I feel like crap anyway. 

All this to say, I'm giving myself a week or two to gear up and make sure I'm over this stupid infection, and then I'm starting over. Another 30 days, another re-intro (hopefully done right this time). Anyone else thinking of doing another round?

16 hours ago, DotinTO said:

See that wagon over there? I fell off it, HARD. Started re-intros and and all was going fine. Rice, corn, soy, no problems. Sugar dragon cracked an eyelid every now and then, but was mostly still snoozing away. Then I got a horrible cold, so I felt like crap no matter what I ate. Then, while I was still sick, we went on vacation, and even though I tried to stay mostly on plan, being at the mercy of restaurant menus I failed miserably. Then the cold turned into a sinus infection, for which I've had to take awful antibiotics that make my stomach feel like Freddie Kruger has had a go at it. Have now reverted back to eating pretty much exactly the same way I did before I started, and I have no idea if any of it is actually making me feel like crap, because I feel like crap anyway. 

All this to say, I'm giving myself a week or two to gear up and make sure I'm over this stupid infection, and then I'm starting over. Another 30 days, another re-intro (hopefully done right this time). Anyone else thinking of doing another round?

I've completely fallen into old patterns again.  I was halfway through my reintro... was surprised to find that it appears wheat and NOT dairy is causing my stomach issues.  I didn't expect that.  Anyhow. Halfway through my reintro I ate one damn chocolate egg and it's been all downhill from there.  And when I don't have sugary foods, I turn to wheat or corn based foods to satisfy those cravings.  It's awful and I feel like complete crap again.  Back to being tired, bloated, constipated, and completely bombarded with sugar cravings.

The shitty thing is I didn't feel confident or ready to finish my whole30 at 30 days.  I think if I would have extended it I would have been better equipped to deal with this.  I'm debating starting a whole60...

• 2 weeks later...

It's  comforting somehow to know others are dealing with the same thing I have been the past couple of weeks! I can't start another Whole30 right now as I am studying abroad this summer and living with a host family who will provide breakfast and dinner. I will probably end up doing one again in the fall. For now, I am just trying to get better at listening to my body's cues and eating in a way that will make me feel the best, one meal at a time...

@DotinTO and @brandyontherun

My wagon is parked right next to yours ladies!!  LOL!

I have to be honest, I stayed compliant until Easter and then lost it.  I should have done proper reintros, but I didn't.  Instead, I started to eat "all the things" and felt pretty crappy about it.  I don't know why, but when I fall off the wagon, I use it as an excuse to eat everything I know I shouldn't.  Sigh.

So... Monday, May 1st I started over and am now on R3D3.  I plan on seeing this through and possibly going longer.  This time, I will make sure I properly reintroduce!  Did anyone else start on Monday? @Kelley Flees?

10 hours ago, *Aurora* said:

I don't know why, but when I fall off the wagon, I use it as an excuse to eat everything I know I shouldn't.  Sigh.

ME TOO! I did the same thing for the weeks before I started the W30, too. It was like one last hurrah of the wickedly delicious stuff I shouldn't be eating, even though I knew it made me feel bad.

I was going to start another full-fledged W30, but I've been too busy to get organized to do meal prep, so I've just been trying to stay mainly compliant. I know I don't have an issue with rice or corn, so I'm not fussing about eating those now, but I am fairly certain that wheat is an issue, and have been trying to cut that out completely (so much harder without the rules!). Once I get through the next month, which is crazy busy, I'll probably do another full 30, because I really did feel so much better afterwards. (Also, I'm wearing a pair of pants today that haven't fit me in more than a year! Does that count as a NSV? Haha.)

Anyway, good luck with your second round, Aurora.

13 hours ago, *Aurora* said:

@DotinTO and @brandyontherun

My wagon is parked right next to yours ladies!!  LOL!

I have to be honest, I stayed compliant until Easter and then lost it.  I should have done proper reintros, but I didn't.  Instead, I started to eat "all the things" and felt pretty crappy about it.  I don't know why, but when I fall off the wagon, I use it as an excuse to eat everything I know I shouldn't.  Sigh.

So... Monday, May 1st I started over and am now on R3D3.  I plan on seeing this through and possibly going longer.  This time, I will make sure I properly reintroduce!  Did anyone else start on Monday? @Kelley Flees?

I was not able to start on May 1. I am trying hard to be 100% after my vacation in June. I have not introduced much. All I know is I crave to go 100%. I am a person who likes rules and structure. I am working on meal planning so it is simple. 

Day 6 for me and so far so good!  I thought I'd have more sugar cravings after snitching so much Easter chocolate, but I've been ok.  Although, I have to admit, it was hard not licking the spoon after making homemade mac and cheese for my kids! Lol!  (But I didn't!). 

I find the best way for me to stay compliant is to make a casserole type lunch on Sunday that will feed me all week for lunch at work.  This week was the spaghetti squash bake that I posted a while back.  Otherwise, I'd end up grabbing something quick while I'm running out the door in the morning and guaranteed it wouldn't be compliant!

@DotinTO - maybe it's that we're both Canadian, but I feel like we're kindred spirits!  I feel like I might not be the only one who feels that cleaning out the cupboards before starting W30, means eating it all.  LOL!!  

@Kelley Flees - it sounds like you're still staying the course!  That's awesome!

I really want to go 100% I think honey is my only debate. However, I like keeping my distance from sweetness other than fruit. I made no-bake cookies today for my husband and me so I can get rid of the granola I bought before whole30. I am challenging myself to listen to all of the food freedom book on cd. I think it is just what I need to hear right now. Right now, I will do my best to eat compliant, but if I can't it's okay. I will get back to it 100% ASAP

On 5/7/2017 at 2:04 PM, Kelley Flees said:

I really want to go 100% I think honey is my only debate. However, I like keeping my distance from sweetness other than fruit. I made no-bake cookies today for my husband and me so I can get rid of the granola I bought before whole30. I am challenging myself to listen to all of the food freedom book on cd. I think it is just what I need to hear right now. Right now, I will do my best to eat compliant, but if I can't it's okay. I will get back to it 100% ASAP

I've read Food Freedom and it sounds like you're doing just that! :)  

I'm really hopeful that I can eventually reach freedom with food, but I really seem to struggle with feelings of deprivation and cravings.  I give myself an inch, and then I fall hard.  I have to figure out a way to move past this and be truly free around my food choices!  I'm on Day 8 of round 3 - today was the first day that I could have snacked off and on all day if I had let myself!  It really helps that I have braces and eating is more of a pain then enjoyable!!  LOL!

Archived