Starting February 20

MargaretAM

Hi all! Margaret, thanks for starting this thread! I am starting W30 today for the 2nd time. I did it right before the Holidays in 2015 and loved the outcome, but never did the reintroduction, which is just silly, right?! Like many of you posted before me, the old habits creep back in and next thing you know none of your clothes fit! I recently turned 39 and am determined to be fit, hot and healthy at 40! This is my kickstart to a healthier, more mindful lifestyle. I'm happy to be on board with you all. 

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Happy Day 1! 

I am going to have to give butternut squash a try I think! We started off this morning with a scramble. A hash mix of cauliflower rice, shredded zucchini and potato, ghee, spinach, and eggs! Very tasty. I also had my first cup of coffee with the almond milk I made yesterday. I'm still not sure how I feel about it. We'l give it a few more days. I definitely need my coffee and have never been able to drink it black. 

I hope everyone has a great day! 

Hello all!

I'm starting today, Monday February 20, 2017 

im no stranger to the whole30 but definitely need to get back on track and actually make it through a whole one of these. No excuses and no reason why it can't get done once and for all. I too would be interested in connecting with a few others and seeing how everyone else plans to tackle their whole30. Good luck everyone and congrats on making this healthy and positive choice in your life and enjoy the progress to a healthier happier you! 

3 minutes ago, amos said:

first time through whole 30. are berries and fruits allowed?

Yep. Just be mindful of not letting fruit push the veg off your plate at each meal, keep it to 1-2 fist sized servings of fruit per day (if at all), and don't be eating it on it's own as a snack... A handful of berries thrown into a salad works well IMHO and wont impact your blood sugar.

Hi there @amos

if this is your first time around I would definitely recommend heading over to the resources section and Downloading all the free PDFs that are available which basically outline the program in a nutshell. Also the book It Starts With Food by Melissa and Dallas Hartwig  - the creators of Whole30, is an invaluable resource. But to answer your question, yes, berries and fruits are real food and fully acceptable for the program. The main thing however is that if you are using berries and fruits, or anything else for that matter as a crutch for an unhealthy habit then you are missing the point of the whole30. Aka if you crave sugar and eat fruit you are not helping yourself, sugar is sugar is sugar and your brain can't tell the difference between fruit and candy when a craving hits. If that's not your situation, then feel free to enjoy your berries and fruits! Good luck with your whole30

Hi Margaret, 

im attempting a whole30 again for what feels like the gazillionth time, but hoping connecting to a forum might help. Thanks for starting the thread, and also wanted to mention while I'm not a heavy weight lifter, combing a Paleo diet and now a whole30 with a strength training and cardio based program has always been my way, and I'm interested to see how it pans out for everyone else too. 

Coffee with coconut milk tasted quite good this morning!! And I made a salad dressing from juicing half a lime, half an orange, red wine vinegar, extra virgin olive oil and a little course salt and pepper.  Can't wait to have a big arugula salad at work for lunch.  It's going to be challenging for me at work during the week because I work in the corporate headquarters of a national restaurant chain and am around food all day long but this forum is going to be a big help.  Thanks everyone!!

Hello! My name is Demerie and today (Feb 20th) marks Day 1 for the Whole30 challenge. I've been on a downward spiral and have gained some lbs over the second half of 2016. I'm hoping to feel great about myself for a vacation in late April, as well as find a trigger for my chronic migraines. 

My boyfriend will be closely following the Whole30 for the most part with me, and I've read through almost the entire Whole30 Guide book, but am feeling quite nervous about the sugar "withdrawls" these next few days. 

Best of luck everyone and Happy Monday!

Hello eveyone!

I hope I can join your group!  I am starting R2D1 today!  I'm 40ish, married with two kids.  Luckily, my hubby is great about eating 'clean' so I have no arguments from home.  (Except my son, but since he's only 10 and doesn't shop for our food, he has no choice... ;))

I just completed my first W30 (I actually got to day 40 :)) before having to head to my inlaws for the weekend where I couldn't be fully in control of my meals.  Surprisingly, I did fairly well, but did say yes to a couple homemade treats.  I don't feel bad about straying, but I've learned that my sugar dragon still lurks silently even after 40 days of clean eating!

I had a lot of NSVs first round (looser pants, more energy, better mood...) and lost 16lbs - but since I still have 30 to go, I'm joining in for another round.  I also want to follow the reintroduction phase properly at the end.  I'm currently reading the Hartwigs new book Food Freedom Forever and my ultimate goal is the have a healthy and 'normal' relationship with food.  This feels impossible because I've struggled a looong time with emotional eating and bingeing but I really want this!

I hope everyone is having a great Day 1! :D 

Hi everybody! My name is Zoie - 26 years old and this is my second round of Whole30. Did my first round during November 2016 and LOVED it. Truly felt amazing during and afterwards. I just went on a 10 day vacation to FL and ate/drank really poorly so I need to get back on track. So far I have ate...

Breakfast - One Egg over hard with salt/pepper, avocado, sliced tomato and Aveda Comforting Tea 

Lunch - Salad with red bell peppers, onions, avocado, tomato and ginger scallion dressing 

Super simple so far because I haven't been grocery shopping for my meals yet! Going today. Also - here's a helpful tip for anybody new to Whole30. If you can find them in your grocery store - Tessemae has a bunch of dressings that are Whole30 approved for when you don't have time to make your own from scratch! 

Tessemaes-Image-1.jpg

I'm starting today.  My first W30 was Feb 22-Mar 29, 2016 (added extra days due to soy in tuna on day 3, ugh - remember to read all labels!).  Introductions in April showed I'm gluten intolerant.  That was a big mental hurdle because we already have multiple severe food allergies (me:  watermelon, kids:  peanut, tree nuts, dairy, egg, sesame).  After reintroductions, I did a second W30 through the month of May.  I needed that time to wrap my head around the reality of adding another major food to read labels for and add to the avoidance list.  It's gotten easier as it's become the norm.  Since then, I've kept a W30ish diet about 80% of the time.  I've decided to do this again for several reasons:

1.  It's the 1 year anniversary of my first W30.

2.  My protein/veggie ratios need rebalancing.

3.  More water, less coffee. 

4.  I've allowed too much sugar back in. 

Good luck everyone as you start Day 1!  I took part in the forum for my first W30 last year and found the camaraderie to be really encouraging.  I'm looking forward to doing this again. 

Day 1 Breakfast: 

Pulled pork, zucchini, and red pepper.  All sauteed in the pork fat.  Coffee with vanilla bean, chai spice, and coconut milk.

Homemade chai spice recipe: 1/2 tsp. each cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, ground cloves, 1/8 tsp. black pepper.  I sprinkle some into my coffee grounds in my french press, then add the water and brew.  Stir in coconut milk.  It's so yummy!  :)

First Whole 30, Day 1. 

Jen C- I'm gonna try your chai recipe, thanks for sharing. 

This morning I had Deviled eggs with steamed spinach and it was less than awesome. Can someone please share your success stories with making homemade mayo?

I'm doing this W30 program to improve my overall health, I need a total reset, basically. I also have about 30 or more pounds I'd like to lose. I work out quite a bit but I need to eat better. I'm so afraid of failing. It's day one and I'm already dreaming of peach cobbler. 

Good luck, everyone! Happy First Day!

Hi Everyone!  I'm Linda.  I'm 49 and live in Portland Oregon!

Started today after only a weekend of prepping (received the book on Friday).  Fingers crossed.  Other than the impossibility of making that homemade mayo yesterday (anyone else have any issues with that?), which meant I couldn't go with my planned tuna salad salad for lunch today, and had to come up with a last minute Plan B for lunch (managed).... all is good.  Breakfasts and lunches will be toughest for me as those have generally not been even close to on-plan (protein shake in mornings followed by peanut-buttered toast and then a sandwich at lunch .... oops)  But made a breakfast scramble yesterday which should last for 5 breakfasts this week.  I'm don't like eggs (unless baked in a cake! ;P) so hiding egg in a scramble of potatoes, spinach, onions, etc should do the trick.  I'll have to come up with a second and possibly third option to get me through for 30 days though (anyone find any good breakfast options that are non-egg?).  Dinners I think will be easiest.

Anyway, it's noon and I haven't killed anyone yet so that's good, right?!  Glad y'all are here as we tackle this together!!  Good luck to us all!!

HI Everyone.  I'm starting my whole30 today too (FEB. 20).  Have lost 55 lbs over the last year doing no grains/no sugars, then drifting over to basically a low carb diet.  Weight loss has stalled and I still have about 20 lbs and inches around the belly to lose.  Have been reading up on whole30 and am excited to do this.  Good luck everyone.  Today is going great so far. :)

I had a very decadent breakfast this morning since I have the day off for Presidents' Day, but I enjoyed it so much I might start waking up a half hour earlier for work just to have that extra 'me' time and to start the day without rushing. I halved some Brussels sprouts and sautéed them along with prescuto (sp?) in olive oil, then made two eggs over easy and had it all over spring mix along with avocado. Wow! It was amazing and held me over for so long.

Lunch was roasted butternut squash and chicken in a spring mix salad with evoo, Apple cider vinegar, lemon, s&p dressing.

I did a 20min detox yoga this morning. It was good but a little disheartening to see exactly how out of shape and practice I've gotten, but we gotta start somewhere, right? Baby steps. I'm also trying to get out of my own head....get away from my all-or-nothing, perfectionist ways.

I'm very tired today. I don't know if it's because I've been running around much more than usual the past two days when I have gotten used to being more sedentary, or if it's already sugar withdrawal, or hormonal, or maybe a mix of it all! Either way, I'm happy that I had day one off. It's made it easier to ease into.

Sorry...that was really long winded! But it's nice to be able to talk to a group who is doing this too, because I know my boyfriend, family and friends eyes glaze over when I start to talk about whole 30. Lol! 

Hi MKFish-  the mayo either wouldn't emulify ... or would break down after emulsifying but before I got the lemon juice in.  I just watched this great video that a friend sent me .... and I think perhaps I need to make sure all ingredients are at room temperature.  I did the "egg in hot water for 5 minutes" trick ... but perhaps I it wasn't truly up to room temp.  Or perhaps the lemon was too cold.  I definitely drizzled the oil in quite slowly so I know that wasn't it.  I used the ingredients and method from in the Whole30 recipe.

Well, i read that the basics are to slowly combine olive oil with a raw egg, lemon juice and water in the food processor. Seasonings change depending on the recipe source. I didn't trust the eggs I had (cheap store bought) so I looked up a way to heat the egg in the microwave just enough. It came out a little thin, but the taste was weird, which I think would be about the same if I hadn't heated the egg. Thoughts?

Also, for lunch I had bean-less chili with ground beef. It was tasty but ground beef weirds me out, so I'll use something else next time. 

2 hours ago, Zoie said:

Breakfast - One Egg over hard with salt/pepper, avocado, sliced tomato and Aveda Comforting Tea 

Lunch - Salad with red bell peppers, onions, avocado, tomato and ginger scallion dressing 

Hey @Zoie - I hope your grocery shop has allowed for eating more food?

When eggs are your only source of protein in a meal a serving would be the number of whole eggs you can hold in one hand. Most females can manage 3-4. If you don't fancy eating so many eggs then mix it up a little - ground beef works well, as does (IMO) mackerel or similar. Nive work on the avocado, but you also need more veg - 1-3 cups worth is the recommendation, but what we really mean is FILL YOUR PLATE.

Was there any protein in your salad? If not it will catch up with you and you'll struggle in a few days......

10 minutes ago, xfrapgirl said:

Hi MKFish-  the mayo either wouldn't emulify ... or would break down after emulsifying but before I got the lemon juice in.  I just watched this great video that a friend sent me .... and I think perhaps I need to make sure all ingredients are at room temperature.  I did the "egg in hot water for 5 minutes" trick ... but perhaps I it wasn't truly up to room temp.  Or perhaps the lemon was too cold.  I definitely drizzled the oil in quite slowly so I know that wasn't it.  I used the ingredients and method from in the Whole30 recipe.

I use my food processor. Put the eggs, lemons juice, mustard, salt and pepper in, flip it on blend it up and than drizzle the oil in slowly. It should emulsify! No need for room temp, or hot, or warm, or cold eggs. They should all work fine. (trust me on this, chef of 10+ years.)

Archived