Starting February 20

MargaretAM

DAY 1 UPDATE!

First, it is so great to read everybody's experiences today. 

Second, my food thus far:

Breakfast: 3 eggs and 2 pieces compliant bacon, red pepper sauce from the book, salad, coffee with coconut oil

Lunch: big bowl of broccoli and chicken soup

I am having a bit of a gnawing feeling today about not eating "treats" for 30 days.  And, of course, I want to respond to the gnawing feeling by eating.  For now I am trying to breathe, stay mindful, drink some water and distract.

I also have a fear of "failing". The ultimate goal for me is food freedom and body acceptance.  Those feel so difficult and I have tried many times and many different ways before.  But I will not give up.  I appreciate all of you who struggle with this too sharing  your journeys.

I tried mayo yesterday.  Total flop.  It was liquid and gross.  Will make another attempt soon.

Thanks also for folks sharing your recipes and your wins. 

Together we can do this!

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today was day 1, round 2 for me! Round 1 was January 2016. I fell into too many old habits so starting another round to keep me on track. Breakfast was 3 eggs with spinach and kale. Lunch was homemade chicken soup and a side of pineapple. For dinner I'm going to give the paleo egg roll in a bowl recipe a try! And I already have over 10,000 steps and have drank over 1 gallon of water :) make it a great day everyone!

Day 1... Day coming to a close:

Today was an easier day that I expected. However, I do have to say that I cut out all wheat (and buckwheat) nearly 2 years ago when I found out I was allergic. Giving up gluten free bread is easier than you think.. lets face it, it's just not the same anyway.... So that makes this transition easier. I did forget at one point about the chewing gum, and noticed about 2 minutes after I put it in my mouth! I panicked and almost spit it across the room :) So, I tossed the pack... no need for unwanted anxiety again! 

Lunch day 1: carrot and celery sticks, raw almonds and macadamia nuts, an apple and grapes. (I'll definitely need more protein and fat tomorrow, I wasn't really satisfied)

Dinner day 1: grilled zucchini, pineapple, onion, sweet peppers with chicken. That was actually delicious, and easy! Plenty of leftovers for tomorrow! 

I too am hoping to really find some freedom from food. I have been surrounded by it for years (as a chef) and it's been my life. I think an unhealthy obsession, always thinking about it... 

Thanks for the forum, I think this is really going to make the next 29.5 days easier! Great job today everyone! 

Today is day 2.  I had the day off today so I was able to do a little more food prep/cooking and I went out for a bike ride! I was really craving a cup of coffee so I went out and ran some errands.

One of my Whole30 challenges-- I really don't like coffee without milk and sugar so I am giving up coffee.  I started "no coffee" on Friday so I would have 4 days to get past the big headache, cravings and fatigue before heading back to work. . I think I am ready to go back to work tomorrow without coffee! 

Breakfast- fried egg, slice of ham, kale sale and roasted plantains, cup of rasberry tea. 

Lunch- tuna cake with guacamole, brussel sprout salad

Dinner- chicken tikka masala (made in the Instant Pot) over spaghetti squash.  

How's it going for everyone that started on yesterday or today? I definitely felt that Day 1 was easier than Day 2 because the sugar dragon is very angry right now! I've used apples with cinnamon and clementines to try to help out. Any great things that you all have discovered in your first few days? 

15 minutes ago, ShellyM said:

One of my Whole30 challenges-- I really don't like coffee without milk and sugar so I am giving up coffee.  I started "no coffee" on Friday so I would have 4 days to get past the big headache, cravings and fatigue before heading back to work. . I think I am ready to go back to work tomorrow without coffee! 

I have just completed my first round of W30 and I was never a big coffee drinker, I would only drink it when I had to be at work at 6 of 7 am, I prefer tea or Yerba Mate, but I was amazed that about 2 weeks in I didn't even need caffeine that early in the morning, I had natural energy! Now this didn't happen everyday but there were a few days that I didn't even need a caffeine boost all day. A true NSV! 

5 hours ago, xfrapgirl said:

Hi Everyone!  I'm Linda.  I'm 49 and live in Portland Oregon!

Started today after only a weekend of prepping (received the book on Friday).  Fingers crossed.  Other than the impossibility of making that homemade mayo yesterday (anyone else have any issues with that?), which meant I couldn't go with my planned tuna salad salad for lunch today, and had to come up with a last minute Plan B for lunch (managed).... all is good.  Breakfasts and lunches will be toughest for me as those have generally not been even close to on-plan (protein shake in mornings followed by peanut-buttered toast and then a sandwich at lunch .... oops)  But made a breakfast scramble yesterday which should last for 5 breakfasts this week.  I'm don't like eggs (unless baked in a cake! ;P) so hiding egg in a scramble of potatoes, spinach, onions, etc should do the trick.  I'll have to come up with a second and possibly third option to get me through for 30 days though (anyone find any good breakfast options that are non-egg?).  Dinners I think will be easiest.

Anyway, it's noon and I haven't killed anyone yet so that's good, right?!  Glad y'all are here as we tackle this together!!  Good luck to us all!!

Hi Linda,

Because one of my kids is anaphylactic, we don't keep eggs in the house, which means my breakfasts are always non-egg.  In my previous W30s, I found it helpful to think outside the traditional "breakfast, lunch, and dinner" menus, and started thinking about each as just a "meal".  It made it easier to add variety over the 30 days when I focused on all the compliant veggies, protein, and fats available rather than being limited by traditional ideas.  If you're looking for traditional breakfast, Aidell's chicken apple sausage is W30 compliant and tastes delicious.  Along with sauteed veggies such as zucchini, mushrooms, peppers, etc, it makes a great meal.  Aidell's has several flavor varieties, but be sure to read the labels because some of their flavors have added sugars.  You can find it at Fred Meyer, New Seasons, Natural Grocers, and probably Whole Foods, but Costco has it for the best price.  Another idea is to try to make enough dinner that you'll have leftovers to heat up for breakfast.  This can be good for mornings that are a bit more hurried.  Hope this was helpful!  :)

5 hours ago, MargaretAM said:

DAY 1 UPDATE!

Breakfast: 3 eggs and 2 pieces compliant bacon, red pepper sauce from the book, salad, coffee with coconut oil

I am having a bit of a gnawing feeling today about not eating "treats" for 30 days.  And, of course, I want to respond to the gnawing feeling by eating.  For now I am trying to breathe, stay mindful, drink some water and distract.

I also have a fear of "failing". The ultimate goal for me is food freedom and body acceptance.  Those feel so difficult and I have tried many times and many different ways before.  But I will not give up.  I appreciate all of you who struggle with this too sharing  your journeys.

I tried mayo yesterday.  Total flop.  It was liquid and gross.  Will make another attempt soon.

Together we can do this!

I'm starting tomorrow, meal prep is done but very nervous as I totally have to fear of failing. Which seems so silly as it's in no-one else's control apart from mine whether I succeed. It's reassuring to read that other people have the same anxieties. Thank you for being so open. Food freedom and no sugar cravings are my number one goal. I definitely think this forum will help me stay focused though! Lots of deep breaths and distractions for me too I think!! 

5 hours ago, MargaretAM said:

DAY 1 UPDATE!

Together we can do this!

Hi Everyone!

I just finished Day 1--hooray! I'm loving seeing what everyone has been eating. I'm looking for as many meal ideas as possible. I've read the book a few times and been scrolling through the forum, but so many questions came up throughout the day! I batch cooked yesterday and mainly followed the "meal plan" from the Well Fed website. I definitely recommend it! The shopping list is complete and it made batch cooking a breeze. 

http://meljoulwan.com/2013/12/29/whole30-2014-week-1-meal-plan/

My first major mistake was making the chocolate chili with non-compliant beef broth. Did y'all know that caramel color is another word for sugar??? Luckily it freezes well, so it's something to look forward to in 29 days. After reading through the forum, I found out you can easily swap chicken broth for beef broth in that recipe, so I think I'll give it another shot next week.

Was anyone else blown away by their grocery bill? I went shopping yesterday and ended up spending an extra $75 than I'm used to. I don't usually eat a lot of meat, and that combined with getting the essentials like coconut oil really made the total add up. Here's hoping it's a little less next week!

I definitely have that first-day-reality-show feeling. I'm hoping the sugar hangover tomorrow won't be too bad. I'm also afraid of failing, especially since you don't see/feel any sort of results until you're halfway in. Also, my husband isn't doing it with me so the temptations will be all around! I'm glad to be on this thread receive some support from all of you. I hope I can dish some out as well!

My meals today:

Breakfast: Poached egg - Well Fed pulled Italian pork roast - broccoli - avocado

Lunch: Perfect ground beef - spaghetti squash - roasted red pepper sauce

PreWO meal: 2 slices of turkey - small handful of cashews

PostWO meal: Hard-boiled egg white

Dinner: Well Fed Pad Thai

The Pad Thai was by far my favorite meal. I'm starting to figure out what is too much and what keeps me satiated. Breakfast was perfect. I was hungry 4 hours after I finished eating. Lunch was wayyyy too much. I wasn't hungry after 4 hours and felt like I never wanted to eat again. I got down some turkey and nuts though because I was worried I would feel bad halfway through my run. I'm glad I did because I was pretty hungry before dinner.

This time of the night will be the hardest I think. I usually eat pretty healthy during the day and then go nuts at night eating cereal, chocolate, whatever. That's a habit I really hope to change. I'm definitely feeling the need for a post-dinner sweet right now!

Good job everyone! Day one is almost done!

Day 1 done! Congrats everyone!

Since Jeanster says she wants more ideas, I figured I'd go ahead and post my meals for today, too :)

Breakfast: 3 eggs with spinach and shredded carrot, cooked in coconut oil with salt and pepper; spoonful of almond butter

Lunch: chicken and broccoli slaw dressed in light olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and garlic

Snack: apple (this was meant to be part of my lunch but I ran out of time - I know fruit usually isn't the best snack)

Dinner: chicken, sweet potato with coconut oil and sea salt 

And since I did a "BodyPump" workout tonight - Pre-WO: chicken, almond butter; Post-WO: chicken

And by the way, my workout was awesome today! I was a little nervous going into it that I'd feel shaky since it's only day 1, but it was great. I felt strong and even used heavier weight than usual on a couple of things. So happy to see NSVs this early in the game lol! Here's to many more!

Jeanster47 - I hear you on the grocery bill.  Pricey so far.  But hopefully should be okay once the essentials are purchased.  Also, my bf isn't doing it either (we live together) and so we're in the same boat there.

JenC - thanks for the ideas and the heads up on Aidell's chicken apple sausage.  I will look for that.

Everyone-  Today wasn't bad..... food-wise.  I did find that I'm paranoid about forgetting to pack breakfasts and lunches each morning for work.  It would be tough to have to go buy something on the fly.  Hopefully I get into the swing of things and it becomes second nature.  My other fear is not having items I need to prepare meals for the next day.  I started this with only one day prep really so don't have meals packed away in the freezer.  I did cook up a breakfast scramble that should last several days so as long as I don't forget to dish some of that out to take to work with me ... then all will be good!  This weekend I hope to be better organized and cook some extra meals and maybe store a backup emergency meal in the freezer at work too ...lol.

Today's meals:

Breakfast - Started with a banana then had some of the breakfast scramble of eggs, red potatoes, onions, spinach, and italian chicken sausage (Isernio's .... the breakfast chicken sausage has honey granules in it so beware that one .... but this Italian chicken sausage is fine).

Lunch:  boneless skinless chicken thigh on a bed of greens with some chopped red bell pepper, green onion, and a dash of Tessemae's ranch salad dressing (couldn't get the mayo to emulsify yesterday so couldn't make the homemade ranch dressing yet)

Snack: some raw almonds and Stash double spiced chai tea.

Dinner: grilled chicken thighs, green beans with a homemade vinaigrette, and made the mashed cauliflower for the first time ever.  The cauliflower was good .... but it was so loose when making it that I didn't add in any chicken broth at all.  Still delicious .... though I found it a bit coconut-y whereas my boyfriend didn't.  Hmmm.  Next time I may use a little less of that ingredient.  I did also make clarified butter this evening so I felt very Martha Stewart!! :)  (I needed a success after all the mayo failures yesterday ... lol)

So ... the end of day 1.  It wasn't bad.  We'll see how tomorrow goes ... lol :)  Good night everyone!

7 hours ago, MKFish said:

Lunch day 1: carrot and celery sticks, raw almonds and macadamia nuts, an apple and grapes. (I'll definitely need more protein and fat tomorrow, I wasn't really satisfied)

Nuts are actually a fat source for Whole30 purposes, so you're actually completely missing out on protein here. Remember that nuts should also be limited - we'd say no more than a closed handful (or equivalent in nut butter) every other day, max.

7 hours ago, Lisa718 said:

How's it going for everyone that started on yesterday or today? I definitely felt that Day 1 was easier than Day 2 because the sugar dragon is very angry right now! I've used apples with cinnamon and clementines to try to help out. Any great things that you all have discovered in your first few days? 

Try not to eat fruit when you;re craving sugar as this will only fuel the cravings. Instead try reaching for some fat - a handful of olives, a spoonful of oil.... Fat will stop the cravings, nothing else.

7 hours ago, Jeanster47 said:

Was anyone else blown away by their grocery bill? I went shopping yesterday and ended up spending an extra $75 than I'm used to.

UGH! Absolutely!! I feel like that was the most expensive trip having to stock up on non-sugar nut butter and the approved condiments! Glad I wasn't the only one! 

5 hours ago, jmcbn said:

Nuts are actually a fat source for Whole30 purposes, so you're actually completely missing out on protein here. Remember that nuts should also be limited - we'd say no more than a closed handful (or equivalent in nut butter) every other day, max.

Thanks! Yep.. grilled up some chicken last night and am hitting the meat market today! (Was closed yesterday!) It was an odd feeling though... felt like "ugh, another one of these "un-satisfying-diets" after lunch. It was a good lesson, MUST have all the required food groups to feel satisfied! 

So my big dreams of having a big luxurious breakfast every morning are out the window! Lol! That lasted a day! First, because I dont really cook, it takes me forever. Not so bad yesterday when I was off, but 45 mins to prepare and eat breakfast is not going to cut it on a workday. On top of that, it is sitting like a ton of bricks on my stomach, so the 20 min yoga I was going to do is now going to wait until after work. 

I think tomorrow I will try to just do a small amount of blueberries and cashews to get something on my stomach first thing, then yoga, then breakfast. 

Wishing you all a great day! I'm off to prep my lunch and head to work.

5 minutes ago, Lilkathy said:

I think tomorrow I will try to just do a small amount of blueberries and cashews to get something on my stomach first thing, then yoga, then breakfast. 

If you're going to try more of a preWO type meal then maybe stick to the recommendation of protein & fat? A soft boiled egg maybe? Soft works MUCH better than hard as it's easier digested and it'd be enough to tide you over until you eat your full breakfast...

6 hours ago, jmcbn said:

How about if you have mixed pumpkin with the nut-butter? So, I have used it with celery sticks in the morning before a workout. I have also used it with an apple. I can see how it is dangerous. I will go with the every other day process going forward. Man, even these new habits are hard to break. 

16 minutes ago, Kelley Flees said:

How about if you have mixed pumpkin with the nut-butter? So, I have used it with celery sticks in the morning before a workout. I have also used it with an apple. I can see how it is dangerous. I will go with the every other day process going forward. Man, even these new habits are hard to break. 

It doesn't matter what you mix it with, it doesn't change the fact that it's nuts and they need to be eaten in moderation.

Re your preWO we'd recommend that you avoid fruit both before & after work-outs. eating fruit preWO provides your body with an immediate source of fuel when you;re trying to teach your body to tap into it's fat stores. Eating fruit postWO preferentially restores liver glycogen when it's the muscle glycogen you'll have depleted - so starchy veg postWO...

Hope this helps :)

DAY 2

Good morning all:

I really need this forum and each of you.  Day 1 was harder than I expected and I woke up kind of down.  I am pretty certain that for me the psychological aspect has already kicked in.  I know that I am doing this for life long change which means I can't get by on "grin and bear it for 30 days, lose some weight, then you can have treats again."  The idea of "food freedom" feels pretty impossible; so it feels like if I want to make this a life change it will be a life of resisting my comfort foods.  

Obviously I don't fully believe that otherwise I wouldn't be doing this program.  I have at least a shred of hope that food freedom IS possible and that life doesn't have to be about resisting or giving in to cravings.  But, I knew this aspect was going to be the biggest challenge for me, I just didn't expect it to rear up so quickly.  A honeymoon phase would have been nice.

It also didn't help last night that work was really slow and I work in an ER with a big common area where people are snacking all evening long.  I sipped my water but it made me cranky. 

Ok, thanks for letting me get that off my chest.  I'm already better and feel more helpful.  Sometimes I just need to vent.

WIshing you all an ease-filled day.

Margaret

Archived