MCM 10k on Day Seven

PFG_Dawn

Hi everyone. I am a slow runner and have completed various 5ks, an 8k and a half marathon on Sept 30th. I am running the Marine Corps Marathon 10k on Sunday and am a little nervous because it will be my first Whole30 run. I know it's not a marathon and is a short distance for many of you but since I run slow, I usually use a Gu or ShotBloks around 4.5-5 miles. I'm not worried about pre-race food as I can eat half a sweet potato and some eggs (or something like that); I am more concerned with energy during the race. I'll be fine with just water on the course but do you have any suggestions for Whole30-approved and portable energy for during the run? I wouldn't be as nervous about it if I would be further along, but Day 7 could be rough!

I was thinking 1/4-1/2 of a Larabar but if you have any other suggestions, please let me know! And if you're running the 10k or MCM, good luck!! :)

Thank you!

Dawn

• Moderators

Mashed sweet potato is a good choice during runs. You can carry it in a baggy or a baby food jar. I set my marathon record of 3.57 in 1994 with the help of two bananas. Bananas brown a bit in a fanny pack, but they eat fine on the course.

I feel like you probably won't end up needing anything, but just in case :) They have mini Larabars now (the Target off of 50 in Falls Church has them and they're much easier to carry than a full Larabar), or you could bring a little pouch of sweet potato, or a piece of banana, or some dates?

And good luck!

I, too am a slow runner - and I will be running the MCM 10K as well! Even as slow as I am, I have not needed to eat during a 6 mile run - have you run this distance (or longer) in training since starting Whole30, to see if you will need food? Though you may not have adapted yet at Day 7...

I have used bananas immediately before a run, so they seem to sit well in my stomach while running. I've also used Lara Bars before a run, so they might works as well - depends on how your stomach handles more "solid" food while running.

My Day 30 is today, so I will be post Whole 30 for the race - but I will still follow my usual Whole 30 race meal plan of hard boiled eggs and Lara Bars.

Good luck to you!

Tom and Gatork - thank you for the tips! Mashed banana and mashed sweet potato are awesome ideas and I may experiment to see if I can fit them inside my tiny pack. If not, I may just cut a Larabar into fourths and wrap them separately. Tom, that's a great PR on your marathon! My half time was 2:52 and some change; I was just happy to finish under 3 hours and not walk (other than while drinking water so I didn't drown) ^_^

Roberta, I have not run since starting Whole30 which is why I feel that I may need a boost during the run. Even if it's just mentally - I'll need some help getting up that last hill! Good luck to you too!

Hi again - I just wanted to report that I didn't need any fuel during the race! :) I took the Larabar with me, but felt so strong that I didn't use it. I grabbed a banana right after the finish and that was it. I have never felt so strong during a race or training run and I know that has everything to do with Whole30! Thanks again for your advice and support.

(I'm on Day 10 and feeling awesome!)

Archived