Galentine's Tea with BFF, so should I indulge?

My friend and I have tickets to a special event this weekend, a Galentine's Day Tea (where my Parks & Rec ladies?!?) at a local coffee shop and bakery.  The tickets were purchased weeks ago, before I knew I was doing a Whole30.  The menu will consist of tea (no problem), scones with lemon curd and Devonshire cream, finger sandwiches, assorted shortbreads, and other baked treats (uh oh). 

I knew this event was coming when I started my Whole30 and at the time I just said "that's fine, I'll eat what I want that day and not worry about it!" because I wasn't as familiar with Whole30 yet and that it's not just about cutting stuff out so you can drop a few pounds.  Now I'm not sure how I feel about choosing to indulge since I know the other parts of the Whole30, like changing my relationship with sugar, would be effected.   

So the question is - do I allow myself this one event since it is a special day for my friend and I?  Will I "ruin" my results if I do?  Or, do I hold strong, enjoy the tea, and not eat?  

Well, if it were me, I would stick to my Whole30 plan this early in the game. How strong do you feel? any NSV's so far? what's your headspace like right now?  This is something that you are doing for your health. You can either decide to not go and give the ticket to someone else or you can go and stick to the commitment you made to yourself.  If this is an event you were looking forward to sharing with your friend, enjoy your friend's company, the food is just food but friends are something to cherish.

Note: not sure what type of tea it is but you may have to make sure it doesn't have any off plan ingredients either, i.e. sugar, artificial sweeteners, soy, dairy.

@kruddock Hmmmm, how do I feel is a good question.  Bored, mostly.  So it would probably be a bad idea to "indulge" and basically give in to the food boredom.  I feel strong in my resolve to keep it Whole30.  This is my first one and I really would like to complete it!  I'm one of those people who does really well with hard and fast RULES and less well when I'm given freedom (ie - just portion control type plans). 

NSV - I had a really difficult day on Tuesday - had a family emergency that required me to drop everything, call out of work, and drive eight hours round trip from my home to my dad and back.  I tossed a banana, a larabar, and some pistachios in my bag as I ran out the door and that was all I had for about 13 hours.  While clearly not ideal, I am SUPER proud that the stress and hunger didn't break me. 

Thank you for your words of advice.  You are right, enjoying time with my friend is more important than the food.  I think I'm concerned that she will either think it's silly to not eat when she paid for the event or maybe even be hurt that I would choose to do that (since she bought the tickets and it's almost like I'm "rejecting" the gift).  I need to realize that is all in my head.  She is a good friend and totally supports me.  She will support me in my Whole30 aspirations too.  :-)  

Thanks for the reminder to check the tea!  I will! 

UPDATE - In case anyone is curious, I had a lovely time with my friend at our Galentine's Tea and I stayed on plan.  :-)   I put a carton of Califa Farms Better Half unsweetened Coconut Cream and Almond Milk in my purse, drank a looooooot of tea, and ignored the plate of scones and sandwiches on the table.  I'm glad I went and SUPER glad I stared sugary carbs in the face for two hours and didn't crack!   

Archived