Bones, Bones, Glorious Bones

Kirsteen

Who would have thought I'd ever get excited over bones :) but I've just had a lovely gentleman at my door saying "I was told I'd to bring you some bones - is that right?" Yes, Yes ,Yes, thinking to myself 'stop, before you start sounding like When Harry met Sally' :)

So the bones they forgot to bring me at the farmer's market have now been delivered to my door. I have two lovely big marrow bones and two enormous knuckles. I've put one marrow bone and one knuckle on to simmer with a dash of cider vinegar. My question is, do I scim off the scum that gathers at the top or do I just leave it to be absorbed in? You can tell this is the first time I've done this but I am soooo excited by it.

When I make bone broth, I add a some garlic & vegetables, too. I let it simmer for a full 24 hours. By then, there's nothing to skim. I just strain it and put it in mason jars or ice cube trays to freeze(then on to a container in the freezer.) Once it gets cold, remove the hard fat at the top and use it for cooking fat. Good stuff.

It always turns out wonderfully! I love it!!! :rolleyes:

This does not surprise me in the least.

Oh exactly. If something can be made in one step, you can bet I will turn it into ten steps. :)

Speaking of that: Before I make a broth, I actually insist on browning the bones in a 400 degree oven until they are a beautiful golden brown. About 20 minutes before they are perfection, I toss the onions, carrots and celery in as well. This step really does make an amazing difference in the flavor of the broth. Most of you probably won't be surprised to hear that I did a taste test with browning and not browning. Sigh.

I actually read about browning them AFTER I'd thrown them in the pan with water to simmer. However I have the other 2 in my fridge so will brown them first, I'll also try roasting the veggies with them. I notice Mark's Daily apple suggests Breaking the bones with a sledgehammer. Hmmm I'n not sure I could manage that. I have to say they smell fantastic simmering away. The cat obviously thinks so too, despite being fed, he keeps pacing the kitchen whining.

I actually read about browning them AFTER I'd thrown them in the pan with water to simmer. However I have the other 2 in my fridge so will brown them first, I'll also try roasting the veggies with them. I notice Mark's Daily apple suggests Breaking the bones with a sledgehammer. Hmmm I'n not sure I could manage that. I have to say they smell fantastic simmering away. The cat obviously thinks so too, despite being fed, he keeps pacing the kitchen whining.

Yes, when I get the big round bones, I always have the butcher slice them up for me. I can't imagine using a sledgehammer, but I can totally picture Mark Sisson doing it. :) It allows more goodness to get into the broth/stock if you break the bones up, but I think your marrow bones should be a good size and you don't need to break out the chain saw for those.

LO

. I can't imagine using a sledgehammer, but I can totally picture Mark Sisson doing it. :)

LOL yes so can I. He also said they were a lot easier to break after they'd been simmering for a day, so tomorrow morning I might have a bash at it (pun intended :) ) and then put them back to simmer again.

LO

LOL yes so can I. He also said they were a lot easier to break after they'd been simmering for a day, so tomorrow morning I might have a bash at it (pun intended :) ) and then put them back to simmer again.

Oh do it. Think of it as a mini Crossfit session. :)

• 2 months later...

Oh exactly. If something can be made in one step, you can bet I will turn it into ten steps. :)

Speaking of that: Before I make a broth, I actually insist on browning the bones in a 400 degree oven until they are a beautiful golden brown. About 20 minutes before they are perfection, I toss the onions, carrots and celery in as well. This step really does make an amazing difference in the flavor of the broth. Most of you probably won't be surprised to hear that I did a taste test with browning and not browning. Sigh.

ooh, that sounds good. I got marrow bones in my CSA share (We have one for meat as well as the other for veg) and was wondering what to do with them... I don't have any of those fancy spoons & none of my family (except me) likes to eat marrow, so cooking them for the marrow is not an option. thanks!

Archived