HERE WE GO

hungrymathgirl

Currently rounding out day 5. Finishing my menstrual cycle. Tired. Haven't felt full all week. Cried because I wanted pizza.

My mom and sister are doing this with me, we all live together in addition to 3 boys with fab metabolisms. 

About to go prep a quiche with hashbrown crust.

I'm just so damn tired. I'm a mathematics major at the University of Texas and I have had trouble motivating myself to do my homework this week, which was never a problem before. I feel like I can't do the food thing and learn new complex math, I don't have enough energy.

Also, textures have been really bothering me lately, I feel like all I am eating is mushy foods, but the crunch of carrots aren't great either.

If you're anything like me, the fact that you're finishing up your cycle can't be helping your energy levels, either... But it'll get better!

What sort of things have you been eating? Maybe there's something you can change up in your meals that will help you feel fuller and maybe boost your energy some. (And add some texture, too!)

Potatoes, bell peppers and onions, with an over easy egg are my go to meal. I made coconut chicken curry with potatoes, I snack on lara bars, hard boiled eggs, nuts, fruits. For dinner tonight, my mom made beef balls with parsley (we are Lebanese, it's called kafta) in a tomato stew with potatoes. My family used to eat a lot of rice to sop up the flavorful sauces and I'm having trouble not eating that with dinner.

I'm not an expert - I started the same day you did, I think! But are you making sure to follow the meal template, and get enough protein and fat? By cutting out the rice, and sugar, and other carbs your body has been relying on, you've cut out a lot of calories, and you need to make sure you have enough fat in your diet to make up for that.

You could also try replacing some of the rice you're used to with cauliflower rice. I'm not sure how well it would work, but there are a lot of recipes out there that call for it as a replacement for regular rice.

It's also recommended Lara Bars for emergency meals only, and making sure, if you have to snack, that you have at least 2 of the following: vegetable, fat, & protein. The Lara Bars, even if they're technically compliant, are going to spike your blood sugar, and aren't going to help if you've had issues with sugar in the past.

That said... Your coconut chicken curry and kafta sound amazing!

• Moderators

When eggs are your only protein, have as many whole eggs as you can hold in your hand -- probably 3-4. If your meals are big enough, you'll easily go 4-5 hours between meals. As @cahliah mentioned, be sure your meals match the meal template.

For sopping up sauces, you could put your meal over a baked potato or sweet potato -- it's not quite the same as bread, but will soak up extra liquids.

For a little bit of crunch you could make kale chips, or these coconut chips. I wouldn't make huge amounts of either at a time, you don't want to just sit and eat them mindlessly, but as a part of a meal, maybe they'd help with the texture you're looking for.

• 4 weeks later...

Y'ALLLLL TOMORROW IS MY LAST DAY!! what a ride. I might keep going because I don't really think about the food that I can't eat anymore. Okay maybe I'll add back in nice chocolate and one glass of wine a week, but honestly, I could live out the rest of my days on chicken apple sausage, potatoes, and onions, by far my favorite meal.

Okay I love this lifestyle change. Happy day!

On 3/6/2017 at 5:55 PM, hungrymathgirl said:

Y'ALLLLL TOMORROW IS MY LAST DAY!! what a ride. I might keep going because I don't really think about the food that I can't eat anymore. Okay maybe I'll add back in nice chocolate and one glass of wine a week, but honestly, I could live out the rest of my days on chicken apple sausage, potatoes, and onions, by far my favorite meal.

Okay I love this lifestyle change. Happy day!

So nice to see that even though you were struggling in the beginning you feel great now!  #NSV

Archived