February 15th--Let's Do This

eatspinraverepeat

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I found coconut aminos!!!!!! Stir fry for dinner tonight! I'm so happy, I have really missed stir fry and now I can have it! 

@Brensuma I'm sorry you're leaving us. I hope you're not too disappointed and can focus on all the good habits you've started over the last 23 days. 

2 hours ago, Brensuma said:

Well, it's been fun yall,  but this is the end of the road for me. I unknowingly have been eating pickles with non compliant ingredients.so it's restart for me. So instead of next weekend going out to eat, I plan on going out to eat tomorrow night with hubby to celebrate how far I did come on this journey. 

So, stay strong everyone and I'll be back on track and paying closer attention this next round!

Oh bummer!  Are you sure you need to stop??  If you were unknowingly eating these?  Your decision.  But, wishing you all the best for the next round.  

33 minutes ago, MargretB said:

I found coconut aminos!!!!!! Stir fry for dinner tonight! I'm so happy, I have really missed stir fry and now I can have it! 

I really need to get this!  I've been missing my stir fry's also.  Def on the menu for next week!  

I have to tell you all about a NSV today!  This cold of mine has really gotten worse over the course of the week.  Tried to work out yesterday and I was SO exhausted.  This AM having trouble taking a full breath, so, I went to the doc.  Found out I had pneumonia!!!  I guess with an early Spring (allergies)& a cold this was the perfect storm.  Anyway, normally, this would have been my reason to go out and buy some ice cream, pudding, you name it, anything junky that would sooth my throat.  But, I picked up my meds, went home and had a frig full of prepped food and ate Whole30.  I did milk it so that my husband had to cook dinner tonight:D But, I stayed on plan.  I'm so proud that I did.  It also shows that this prepping ahead is helpful in ways that I couldn't have imagined and makes me want to continue this after Whole 30 just to make life easier when you get thrown a curve ball.  

A very happy day 23!

Thank you everyone for the support. @rgill.....the rules are the rules. If I hadn't found out that would be one thing, but I did. I can't claim doing Whole30 knowing that I had eaten something noncompliant. @MargretB this has disappointed me more than anyone can know. But my reaction (and consequent reaction....I ate a candy bar) also proves I need to restart. That I haven't kicked the true emotional eating portion which makes me wonder what else might have snuck in, ingredients wise. My husband and I will be much more vigil from now on

1 hour ago, Brensuma said:

Thank you everyone for the support. @rgill.....the rules are the rules. If I hadn't found out that would be one thing, but I did. I can't claim doing Whole30 knowing that I had eaten something noncompliant. @MargretB this has disappointed me more than anyone can know. But my reaction (and consequent reaction....I ate a candy bar) also proves I need to restart. That I haven't kicked the true emotional eating portion which makes me wonder what else might have snuck in, ingredients wise. My husband and I will be much more vigil from now on

The rules state that if you knowingly eat something noncompliant, you must start over. But if you truly didn't realize it, and I wouldn't have known that ingredient was a sulfite either, then it's your call. Honestly, I ate tuna in water and never in a zillion years thought it could be non-compliant, then later learned that the "water" it was packed in contained some trace amount of soy (Chicken of the Sea brand, by the way, beware everyone). I did not start over because I had read my label and had done my best, yet something had been snuck into the food. Another time I learned that the beef broth, again the label of which I had carefully read, contained something called caramel coloring - which according to this site contains sugar where I thought it was just a food dye. Again, I did not start over, as I had done my due diligence, reading every single beef broth carton until I found one I thought was compliant.

Ladies, @Brensuma has read the rules and has made the decision to start over. Sulphites are out, and they were on the label. Sulphites are one of the top allergens and are known to be inflammatory & gut disruptive. She is obviously thinking of her long term health here rather than just making it through the 30 days and I think she should be commended for her decision.

2 hours ago, scma said:

Another time I learned that the beef broth, again the label of which I had carefully read, contained something called caramel coloring - which according to this site contains sugar where I thought it was just a food dye. Again, I did not start over, as I had done my due diligence, reading every single beef broth carton until I found one I thought was compliant.

A great place to get info is on this forum.  You can type in the ingredient and or question you have in the search bar and usually find what you're looking for.  

So I'm really bummed,  I had to tap out of this round of whole30. We've lost power and haven't had it for three full days. Can't use the stove, microwave..no cooking. Of course this happens right before I stocked the fridge and did a major prep session with pesto, herb mayo, and dump ranch. Everything is spoiled. In hindsight I should have taken the food out of the fridge and set in on the counter..It's 50 degrees in my house :P

When family/friends open their table to you, you should graciously accept! I modified, but there is only so much one can do in this situation. I've still been focusing on protein, healthy fat, and veggies..which makes me happy. I had battered cod. Usually if I "cheat" on something, I feel like the whole day is ruined and everything is free game. I didn't feel that...in fact, I would have rather had my sweet potatoes with ghee, spinach, and a fried egg. I feel like I've learned so much these past 23 some odd days. I went from eating quick, processed foods...(can you say pop tarts?) to learning how to make my own mayo (even if it ended up on the wall one time. Okay maybe two). There is no substitute for your own kitchen. Knowing what ingredients are in something you've created..knowing how they affect your body, and your mind. I am a classic nurturer - I take care of everyone else, and neglect myself. These past few weeks it feels like I have finally been taking care of myself, and it feels amazing. To all you nurturers out there...don't forget to take care of you!!

Enough complaining, rock on people! You're so close!!! I'll see ya'll next round. 

9 hours ago, Brensuma said:

Hey @Brensuma! I commend you for your commitment to the rules. I understand the draw of emotional eating, especially after you have avoided it for 23 days...and you came to a devastating realization that your Whole30 was corrupted by pickles. :(

I would say that I doubt the drive to emotionally eat had anything to do with bad ingredients sneaking into your Whole30, it's entirely mental and probably takes far longer than 30 days to resolve that habit. I struggle with it too! 

I hope that you are able to continue implementing a majority of the Whole30 guidelines in your day to day life. I know it will help with the emotional aspects!

Day 24! We are leaping towards the finish line. I enjoyed Chipotle (carnitas + romaine + guacamole) for lunch and was so, so satisfied. it actually carried me through until about 6 pm. 

I am still trying to decide how I will re-intro, but I'm about to dive into Food Freedom Forever tonight and I am thinking that will give me some ideas of the best plan for me. How is everyone feeling going into this weekend? I feel like Whole30 is old hat by now. So easy to maintain!

1 hour ago, eatspinraverepeat said:

into this weekend? I feel like Whole30 is old hat by now. So easy to maintain!

Something like that. I stayed out too late with friends tonight and am just now home and starting to make dinner 9 pm, oops! But I didn't drink or have any of the delicious looking pizza so I'm still counting it as a win. 

I'm feeling good going into the final weekend, I can't believe we're down to 6 more days! 

3 hours ago, eatspinraverepeat said:

Is everyone else getting to enjoy some nice weather this weekend?

Ha! I get to shovel more snow, I guess this is the price I pay for the beautiful, monsoon-free fall we had...

I tried a recipe I found for banana scrambled eggs this morning and it was surprisingly good. You mash up a banana as best you can, stir in your eggs, and scramble as usual. I found it on pinterest maybe? And then I googled and apparently this is a thing people know about. I don't know exactly how to describe it, but if you like bananas I do recommend trying it. 

At this point I'm starting to imagine eating all the foods I miss. It's not exactly cravings, but now that we've only got 5 days I'm looking forward to them again. Except that I want to do a proper reintro so I'm spending a lot of time reminding myself that it's not 5 days until I get to eat the nanaimo bars at my coffee shop, it's probably actually more like 3 weeks, and even then I might find out there's something in them that disagrees with me.

Got my grocery shopping done today and I'm planning to get breakfasts and lunches done tomorrow. My husband is going out of town Monday night so I'll be alone, and historically my eating habits are much worse when I'm on my own. I want to finish this out strong! 

@MargretB That banana scramble sounds interesting. I've never heard of it before. I  made a goal to cook one new recipe a week, and that might be the one I try for this week. Sorry you are shoveling snow this weekend! I honestly have no idea what that would be like, but it doesn't sound pleasant (or warm!).

I'm right there with you regarding reminding myself that this doesn't really end on Friday...we still have to take the time to reintroduce properly to make this all worth it. 

It's not as cold as you might think. It's really good exercise that heats you up quickly, in fact it's really easy to get overheated if you overdo it.

Heading into the home stretch, I think this last few days are going to be rough and that food prep is going to be key. I have 2 trials coming up this week, an extra dog, and a husband out of town, so lots of extra stress and no support at home! I can do it though, and am very much looking forward to happy hour on Friday! Trial days are always bad for eating because you can't always predict when breaks will be, during breaks you're frequently either dealing with trial emergencies or running to do another hearing, and you don't necessarily know when you'll be done for the day, I'm planning to have some almond butter and celery/carrots as well as some lara bars on standby if needed. 

How was everyone else's weekend? I tried a new chicken recipe last night that was okayish, but the sauce ended up being a weird consistency. I had roasted broccoli this morning with my banana eggs and steak is marinating for dinner tonight. 

Wanted to quit so many times this weekend...I have been subject to a lot of restaurant meals over the past 8 days or so and it's so tough to special order something I don't even like that much when all this delicious food is on the menu. Plus I was in Chicago for work, where I used to live, and I saw all kinds of things I don't get at home now, like Portillo's chocolate cake shakes and my favorite bubble tea place, and I never got to take advantage of any of them. I do much, much better eating food I make at home where I can customize to how I like it. Tonight I was at my parents' house, where I grew up, and we went out to dinner, and I had to skip all the local favorites and have a salad with grilled chicken and oil and vinegar, which is so  not my thing. Anyway, I'm ready for it to be over.

1 hour ago, scma said:

Wanted to quit so many times this weekend...I have been subject to a lot of restaurant meals over the past 8 days or so and it's so tough to special order something I don't even like that much when all this delicious food is on the menu. Plus I was in Chicago for work, where I used to live, and I saw all kinds of things I don't get at home now, like Portillo's chocolate cake shakes and my favorite bubble tea place, and I never got to take advantage of any of them. I do much, much better eating food I make at home where I can customize to how I like it. Tonight I was at my parents' house, where I grew up, and we went out to dinner, and I had to skip all the local favorites and have a salad with grilled chicken and oil and vinegar, which is so  not my thing. Anyway, I'm ready for it to be over.

Glad you didn't quit! I'm not sure how many of us have made it this far...the traffic on our thread has dwindled lately. But we are almost there.

Today I had a true paradigm shift in regard to food, and I think I am crossing a threshold in regard to truly thinking about whether or not a food is "worth it." I have probably spent the past 8 months eating because I thought I earned it, or because I wasn't tracking, or because I was stressed, without truly asking myself if the food I was consuming was what I really needed or something I truly wanted. I was damaging my body, and now I recognize that. And I don't want to be that way anymore. I had a friend over for dinner tonight and we made a  Whole30 meal, and I served her wine and also shared the wine with my roommate. I didn't partake...and guess what? I had fun, and I feel good and I have proved to myself that I don't have to drink with friends to be social with them. 

I am feeling the NSVs this week! I doubt I will have a SV, so I need to relish in the NSVs :) Hope everyone had a good weekend!

9 hours ago, eatspinraverepeat said:

Glad you didn't quit! I'm not sure how many of us have made it this far...the traffic on our thread has dwindled lately. But we are almost there.

Today I had a true paradigm shift in regard to food, and I think I am crossing a threshold in regard to truly thinking about whether or not a food is "worth it." I have probably spent the past 8 months eating because I thought I earned it, or because I wasn't tracking, or because I was stressed, without truly asking myself if the food I was consuming was what I really needed or something I truly wanted. I was damaging my body, and now I recognize that. And I don't want to be that way anymore. I had a friend over for dinner tonight and we made a  Whole30 meal, and I served her wine and also shared the wine with my roommate. I didn't partake...and guess what? I had fun, and I feel good and I have proved to myself that I don't have to drink with friends to be social with them. 

I am feeling the NSVs this week! I doubt I will have a SV, so I need to relish in the NSVs :) Hope everyone had a good weekend!

This is awesome. You are articulating this well...I think the same thing is happening to me. I'm not obsessed with my next snack anymore. I even drove for a few hours yesterday without feeling the absolute need for something to sip while in the car, which had previously become an almost unbreakable ingrained habit.

I am still here & going strong despite being sick. Still can't go to the gym, but will try some easier yoga at home later.  Had quite a few challenges with my son home from college & feeling like I had to cook traditional favorites which would be off plan, but, he was so great about eating what we were eating.  His GF came to visit & spent the night.  Again, more food associations and feeling like I had to cook big & not so healthy meals, but I didn't....It was nice to hear them both say they were going to eat healthier at school b/c they really like the food we were eating! 

Making beef broth today from some bones I have.  If you haven't done this before, I highly recommend it!  So delicious and good for you.  Great for soups, chili's etc.  We buy 1/2 cow every year and the butcher gives us the bones to make the broth.  But, you can do this with the bones from grilling a steak or a roasted chicken.

Grilled salmon, asian style riced cauli & sauteed kale w/almonds for dinner.

We are supposed to get lots of snow tomorrow, so, might get to do my shoveling exercises @MargretB

@scma - awesome that you are sticking to the plan while traveling.  That is tough!

@eatspinraverepeat - great job going out and not feeling like you had to drink to have fun!  

As we approach the end of the 30 days, why don't we each list a non- scale victory that we've noticed during this time period.  Mine is that my head is clearer!  Clearer, more concise thinking and better memory!

Day 27 - Stay strong:)

NSV - my big one is that I got a BFP! I went 4.5 years without one after my daughter was born in 2012, was pregnant over the fall (unfortunately lost the baby), but then only three months after that loss, on Whole 30 Day 20, I got the BFP. I haven't conceived this fast since I was 32. It's crazy. I googled it to see if it was safe to stay on W30, which it turns out it is, but also what I found is that apparently this is a common occurrence, so that's why I'm counting it as a W30-related NSV.

Others - I think about food and snacks way less. I'm only craving carbs/sweets after dinner now instead of starting after lunch and lasting the rest of the day.  I have no more energy crashes in the afternoon - energy level is much steadier through the day. I think I'm sleeping better but I can't confirm that completely. I don't get hangry anymore.

6 minutes ago, scma said:

but then only three months after that loss, on Whole 30 Day 20, I got the BFP. I haven't conceived this fast since I was 32. It's crazy. 

That's awesome!!  Congratu:)lations. Huge NSV!!! I'm not surprised that it's ok to stay on whole 30. Such healthy eating. 

Archived