February 15th--Let's Do This

eatspinraverepeat

1 hour ago, scma said:

NSV - my big one is that I got a BFP! I went 4.5 years without one after my daughter was born in 2012, was pregnant over the fall (unfortunately lost the baby), but then only three months after that loss, on Whole 30 Day 20, I got the BFP. I haven't conceived this fast since I was 32. It's crazy. I googled it to see if it was safe to stay on W30, which it turns out it is, but also what I found is that apparently this is a common occurrence, so that's why I'm counting it as a W30-related NSV.

Wow! Huge congratulations to you @scma

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@scma--Congratulations! 

How is everyone's day 27 going? Mine has flown right by and I still don't have a plan for dinner. Hmm. Anyone have any good ideas? 

I have all my breakfasts prepped for the week again. It's even more important this week because starting tomorrow it will be just me with two dogs to walk every morning--I'm trading my husband for an extra dog while he goes on a ski trip and morning dog duty is usually his. Lucky for me, I'm in the middle of having tiger's blood so waking up early should be okay! 

I'm kind of starting to think I might want to keep things mostly whole30, especially breakfasts and lunches with maybe some more leeway at dinner (cheese in mashed potatoes or something like that) except for the weekends. I don't know though, we'll see. Having these bright line rules makes things to much easier for me that I think whatever I come up with also needs to have clear parameters. 

I made shepherd's pie from the W30 book and it was pretty good. Served it with baked apples (just cinnamon on mine, cinnamon and sugar on my daughter's).

I'm afraid of re-introducing sugar, even if it's only at night or on weekends. I fear that just a little, especially if I eat it daily, will send me back on the sugar-coaster. On the other hand, I have no desire to eat W30 indefinitely. I'm not sure what to do.

3 hours ago, scma said:

I made shepherd's pie from the W30 book and it was pretty good. Served it with baked apples (just cinnamon on mine, cinnamon and sugar on my daughter's).

I'm afraid of re-introducing sugar, even if it's only at night or on weekends. I fear that just a little, especially if I eat it daily, will send me back on the sugar-coaster. On the other hand, I have no desire to eat W30 indefinitely. I'm not sure what to do.

I can really relate on the sweet tooth. I've been checking out Pinterest for some homemade Lara like bars & choc pudding made with avacados. I am concerned that this will set off the sugar dragon in me even though they're made from healthy ingredients. I'm going to have to set a once per week limit. 

3 hours ago, scma said:

I think it would be a good idea to continue excluding sugar/sweets from your diet until you feel that you have control. It will be better for your health in the short-term and long-term to not include sweets...especially if you will feel out of control. You don't need the added stress from sugar/sugar-induced guilt.

36 minutes ago, rgill said:

I can really relate on the sweet tooth. I've been checking out Pinterest for some homemade Lara like bars & choc pudding made with avacados. I am concerned that this will set off the sugar dragon in me even though they're made from healthy ingredients. I'm going to have to set a once per week limit. 

Same advice here: best avoid it if you're worried about your sugar dragon returning. What is 30 days more when you've already given it up for 30.

I felt really good today and I'm excited that we are heading into the final stretch here. I have finally felt not hungry between meals and I'm not missing snacks at all. I have also cut out extra carbs (i.e., sweet potatoes). I will make sweet potatoes if I really feel like I need the carbs, but I stopped prepping them so they aren't as easy for me to add to my meals. I actually feel waaay better.

Thought I'd pass along. What looks like a good recipe. We finally have weather that makes me want to eat chili! Dinner tonight in my house https://www.savorylotus.com/paleo-sweet-potato-chili/

Day 28! I am still sort of shocked that this has gone by pretty quickly! And, we've all had lots of challlenges & are staying strong. 

My NSV for the day. My inflammation/arthritis in my thumb joints is gone. No pain & it's awesome! Looking forward to seeing if that will give me opportunities to get into more difficult yoga positions that have been limited by the inflammation. 

I'm so bummed that I didn't buy ingredients for chili yesterday. It's a snow day here in MA today, and I really want to make chili. Also I really want hot cocoa, but that's a totally different story...

Super excited that this Day 28!

21 hours ago, scma said:

@scma, have you looked through the reintroduction forum? It might help you think about what your plans are going forward. I'd also recommend looking at this link if you haven't yet:

http://whole30.com/2014/09/dear-melissa-slow-reintroduction-roll/

Especially this part: 

Fear Not!

Note, there’s a difference between being afraid to change anything, and not feeling the need to change anything. The former (being afraid) is not our intention. The Whole30 is designed to teach you how foods interact with your unique body and brain, so you can take that information out into the real world and apply it in a fully sustainable fashion—riding your own bike, as we call it. To stay on the Whole30 indefinitely out of fear is missing the whole point of our program. Is the idea of eating a small piece of your Mom’s once-a-year holiday dessert (yourfavorite food ever) giving you anxiety? Do you really want to reintroduce something you’ve been missing (cream in your coffee, hot buttered popcorn on movie night, or a glass of wine on date night) but you just won’t let yourself? Do you feel lost, without a sustainable plan for eating in the real world, because you’re not really on the Whole30, but you won’t really come off it, either? If this is your story, then hold on the rest of this advice and read the above-referenced Ride Your Own Bike article first. You need to get over that fear, because it’s holding up your progress! You’ll never find a healthy, balanced, sustainable way to eata way that works for youif you blindly follow our rules for the rest of your life.

I know you're not saying you want to stay on this forever, and fear is definitely not supposed to be what we walk away from this with. 

At this point, my plan is basically to return to the No-S guidelines (http://nosdiet.com/) regarding snacks and desert type foods. Other food groups might get thrown in there too depending on what/if any food sensitivities show up in reintro. I've been following it for almost two years and I think calling it a "diet" is a misnomer, because it really is a set of guidelines that can be followed indefinitely without any feelings of deprivation and it  just becomes an unconscious habit after a while. I find that it's easy to say "no" to ice cream when you're never more than a couple days away from saying "yes" if you want it. 

In other news, last night's shepherd's pie was just as good for lunch today and I probably have enough to last the rest of the week! I can't believe the day after tomorrow is our last day! 

3 hours ago, MargretB said:

@scma, have you looked through the reintroduction forum? It might help you think about what your plans are going forward. I'd also recommend looking at this link if you haven't yet:

http://whole30.com/2014/09/dear-melissa-slow-reintroduction-roll/

Especially this part: 

Fear Not!

Note, there’s a difference between being afraid to change anything, and not feeling the need to change anything. The former (being afraid) is not our intention. The Whole30 is designed to teach you how foods interact with your unique body and brain, so you can take that information out into the real world and apply it in a fully sustainable fashion—riding your own bike, as we call it. To stay on the Whole30 indefinitely out of fear is missing the whole point of our program. Is the idea of eating a small piece of your Mom’s once-a-year holiday dessert (yourfavorite food ever) giving you anxiety? Do you really want to reintroduce something you’ve been missing (cream in your coffee, hot buttered popcorn on movie night, or a glass of wine on date night) but you just won’t let yourself? Do you feel lost, without a sustainable plan for eating in the real world, because you’re not really on the Whole30, but you won’t really come off it, either? If this is your story, then hold on the rest of this advice and read the above-referenced Ride Your Own Bike article first. You need to get over that fear, because it’s holding up your progress! You’ll never find a healthy, balanced, sustainable way to eata way that works for youif you blindly follow our rules for the rest of your life.

I know you're not saying you want to stay on this forever, and fear is definitely not supposed to be what we walk away from this with. 

At this point, my plan is basically to return to the No-S guidelines (http://nosdiet.com/) regarding snacks and desert type foods. Other food groups might get thrown in there too depending on what/if any food sensitivities show up in reintro. I've been following it for almost two years and I think calling it a "diet" is a misnomer, because it really is a set of guidelines that can be followed indefinitely without any feelings of deprivation and it  just becomes an unconscious habit after a while. I find that it's easy to say "no" to ice cream when you're never more than a couple days away from saying "yes" if you want it. 

In other news, last night's shepherd's pie was just as good for lunch today and I probably have enough to last the rest of the week! I can't believe the day after tomorrow is our last day! 

Thanks, this is great info. I haven't picked up the book in a while and probably should.

16 hours ago, MargretB said:

@scma

Thanks for sharing this. I read through the website and it sounds pretty interesting. Personally, I know that the structure of this would lead to weekend binging; however, I really, really dig the idea of having a "cool down" period before indulging in something. If you really, truly want it, you will still want it 4 days from now. I would like to play with that concept in the future (e.g., if I look at some treat on Monday, I'll put it on the back burner and see if I still want it Thursday or Friday, or if I want to indulge on Sunday, I'll wait until Wednesday).

23 hours ago, rgill said:

Thought I'd pass along. What looks like a good recipe. We finally have weather that makes me want to eat chili! Dinner tonight in my house https://www.savorylotus.com/paleo-sweet-potato-chili/

Day 28! I am still sort of shocked that this has gone by pretty quickly! And, we've all had lots of challlenges & are staying strong. 

My NSV for the day. My inflammation/arthritis in my thumb joints is gone. No pain & it's awesome! Looking forward to seeing if that will give me opportunities to get into more difficult yoga positions that have been limited by the inflammation. 

That looks really good. We don't have cold weather here in California, but I think I will try to make this anyways :)

Yay for more NSVs! I really want my mom to try Whole30, because I think it will help with her arthritis in her knees. Some of it is osteoarthritis, so that will most likely not improve, but she may have some autoimmune-related inflammation in her joints, too. Working on convincing her to give it a shot!

Day 29 is looking like a breeze!

3 hours ago, eatspinraverepeat said:

Yay for more NSVs! I really want my mom to try Whole30, because I think it will help with her arthritis in her knees. Some of it is osteoarthritis, so that will most likely not improve, but she may have some autoimmune-related inflammation in her joints, too. Working on convincing her to give it a shot!

Yes, she should try it! Honestly, I noticed in only ONE week that the swelling was going down.  Quite amazing.  My husband has RA and so he will need to do this longer to see more NSVs, though he's visibly lost weight.  

As an FYI to all, there are a ton of podcasts on this way of eating.  Most of them under some form of Paleo formatt.  Great info out there.  Feel like a whole new world has opened up!

Happy day 29!  Woohoo!!

My day 29 NSV is that I realized I haven't had any heartburn in weeks! I did have some very early on but other than that it's been totally smooth sailing. 

I didn't weigh myself or take measurements before I started because it wasn't about weight loss for me, but now I kind of wish I had. It does seem to me like my clothes are fitting better. If I decide to do this again I'll definitely at least take waist and hip measurements before I start. 

Hi everyone. My wife and I are still hanging in there and starting to plan the reintroductions. I'm trying to decide if it will be alcohol or dairy on Friday. She misses chocolate - am hoping we can steer clear of soy lecithin in the future. I miss wine and cheese. Good luck the rest of the way and during reintro. 

1 hour ago, homerfrizzell said:

She misses chocolate - am hoping we can steer clear of soy lecithin in the future.

I happened to see yesterday somewhere online that there is a brand of choc chips that doesn't have soy lecithin called enjoy life.  They are at Targets in our area.  What have you determined about soy lecithin, I'm just curious?  So many things to look out for!!

My day 29 NSV was at my recheck at the docs office.  The dr and her nurse(that I hadn't seen before) said they were surprised I had pneumonia b/c I looked so good!  Woohoo, I'll take it!  And, give kudos to Whole 30 for improved, more radiant skin, clearer eyes etc.!!

5 hours ago, RabbitFood said:

You all are doing great!  

And motivating me.  I'm only on day 15 and look forward to clear, radiant skin (my goal for whole30).

I didn't feel better until my last 5 days. That's when the "tiger blood," so to speak, kicked in. I also think it was due to me making some decisions to eat smaller portions and finally getting in tune with my hunger. The good feelings will come to you soon!

9 hours ago, homerfrizzell said:

Hi everyone. My wife and I are still hanging in there and starting to plan the reintroductions. I'm trying to decide if it will be alcohol or dairy on Friday. She misses chocolate - am hoping we can steer clear of soy lecithin in the future. I miss wine and cheese. Good luck the rest of the way and during reintro. 

Nice job! Glad to have you check in. Here are some soy lecithin free options: http://ultimatechocolateblog.blogspot.com/2010/12/chocolate-bars-with-no-soy-lecithin-are.html I highly recommend Theo Chocolate, as I visited their main site in Seattle!

10 hours ago, MargretB said:

I didn't weigh myself or take measurements before I started because it wasn't about weight loss for me, but now I kind of wish I had. It does seem to me like my clothes are fitting better. If I decide to do this again I'll definitely at least take waist and hip measurements before I start. 

I didn't weigh myself immediately before starting, but I do have a weight from about 6 days prior to the start. I have a distorted relationship with the scale, which is why I didn't weigh myself to start out with. I am thinking about not weighing myself after, but taking measurements at the end and keeping up with my goal to continue to lean out. When the pants I want to fit back into fit again, I will step on the scale. Curiosity might get the best of me; however, so we'll see.

I am feeling good heading into Day 30.

I did eat an RxBar today that did not make me feel so good...and this is actually a NSV for me. I can't remember the last time that I had a little stomach upset and thought, "Hmmm...I wonder what was in that bar that my body disliked. I need to go re-read the ingredients and pay attention to my reaction the next time I eat one of those items." My first instinct is that the dates were just too much for me and they aren't something I have eaten for this W30; however, I will have to experiment during reintroduction to see if perhaps it is the cashews that were causing issues.

Day 30!! Wow. I did weigh before, but didn't take measurements.  I can tell from my pants that I've lost inches, but, I'll have to rely on the scale.

My husband & I plan to continue to eat this way.   As you've heard me mention, he has an autoimmune.  I will be curious to see if his doc has any knowledge of this eating protocol & see if his inflammation rate goes down in April.  He is on two pretty strong meds I'd love to see him get off of.  Without insurance these meds are over $4k per month!! Thank God, we have insurance, but you never know when they are going to decline what you're asking for. Plus, who knows what all these meds are doing to his system. 

One of the habits I will continue is the planning in advance of what meals I'll be making & prepping in advance.  I will look into Paleo baking instead of going back to old habits. This will be tough. I come from a long line of bakers & I LOVE to bake!  I'll consider it an experiment:) I am also going to limit my treats.  It's amazing how we all feel like we deserve a treat once a day.  My goal is to aim for once per week. 

Have a great day 30!

Yay for Day 30! I am so psyched. I did weigh a couple days ago because I could see that my belly was already expanding, so I wanted an apples-to-apples comparison. (before the mods jump in, I got pregnant during my W30, so I weighed at that point so that I could make a true comparison without pregnancy weight changes muddying the waters). I'm not sure what I'm doing in terms of reintroduction because my appetite is so finicky now. The leftover shepherd's pie is sitting in my fridge - I cannot handle it. I did make a pot of chocolate chili from the Well Fed blog (with 2 full Tbsp of cocoa powder, which made a difference) and I'm looking forward to that today with some avocados and fresh jalepeno.

It's a bit of a bummer because I won't be having a glass of beer or wine tomorrow night, which I was really looking forward to. I also wanted to start with some sushi, which is another nay - although I guess I could get vegetarian or cooked rolls. I really shouldn't complain though :):), this is all good stuff.

Yay for all of us! One last day! We're all perfect now, never to be tempted to eat things that don't make us feel awesome again, right? My boss told me he's bringing in donuts for a meeting today and my first reaction was, "Really? On day 30?!" 

Congratulations to everyone for getting through this! 

19 hours ago, rgill said:

I happened to see yesterday somewhere online that there is a brand of choc chips that doesn't have soy lecithin called enjoy life.  They are at Targets in our area.  What have you determined about soy lecithin, I'm just curious?  So many things to look out for!!

We'll have to see how well we tolerate soy on reintroduction. I'd prefer to try to avoid it of if we are going to have it, keep to the fermented versions - non-wheat soy sauce, for example. We should be able to avoid soy lecithin when it comes to chocolate - we'll just have to sacrifice the convenience that comes with grabbing M&Ms and plan ahead.

Archived