Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eatspinraverepeat

February 15th--Let's Do This

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Kimbo8 said:

You're not alone!! It hit me hard...all I wanted to do was groin punch my husband and steal that sweet and salty granola he was devouring so blatantly in front of me. :P I left the room and I ate half an avocado with some cucumbers. Then after that I had a huge glass of lavender tea with mint and sipped on it until the craving passed. Meanwhile, he goes..man, I could really go for some popcorn right now :blink:

Oh my gosh,  I am laughing so hard right now. Thanks for that.   The Sugar Dragon is terrible.  My husband is keeping his distance from me right now. I have warned everyone in the house. Thank you for the reassurance. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Kmactx said:

Oh my gosh,  I am laughing so hard right now. Thanks for that.   The Sugar Dragon is terrible.  My husband is keeping his distance from me right now. I have warned everyone in the house. Thank you for the reassurance. :)

We got this sista!! :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel like in the true spirit of Whole30, we should try to avoid eating (anything) in response to the "sugar dragon." Thoughts?

I worry it could be a slippery slope that might even require a restart if I eat even alternatives when I get a craving.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, eatspinraverepeat said:

I feel like in the true spirit of Whole30, we should try to avoid eating (anything) in response to the "sugar dragon." Thoughts?

I worry it could be a slippery slope that might even require a restart if I eat even alternatives when I get a craving.

I feel like in this stage..our bodies are still confused. It's hard to tell if I'm truly hungry or just craving things. I do know that if I "white knuckle" it and eat nothing...I'm more likely to cave and go straight to the goods. Eating a small amount of fat and veggies calmed me down and whatever I was craving passed. So I don't think that eating nothing is the answer...I think you just have to be smart about what you pick. I didn't feel "rewarded" after eating that snack, I guess I finally felt content.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Kimbo8 said:

I feel like in this stage..our bodies are still confused. It's hard to tell if I'm truly hungry or just craving things. I do know that if I "white knuckle" it and eat nothing...I'm more likely to cave and go straight to the goods. Eating a small amount of fat and veggies calmed me down and whatever I was craving passed. So I don't think that eating nothing is the answer...I think you just have to be smart about what you pick. I didn't feel "rewarded" after eating that snack, I guess I finally felt content.

I agree with you completely as well as Kimbo8. Nut butter has been my go-to when I'm trying to avoid sugar and it does feel like I'm substituting. However, I also think we need to affirm ourselves by saying that we "caved" by using something healthful. And that is just the sort of thinking I want when the 30 days are over--how I can make healthy choices work for me. When it's all said and done, I'd rather have gone for the banana and a bit of nut butter than the bag of M&Ms!  Of course I want to have self-control and not eat an entire jar of nut butter or 5 bananas in a row. I don't think it requires a do-over when this happens--those choices are still compliant, I think. But if it makes me think about what were my other choices?  Perhaps next time I'll be more prepared and have a couple olives, a piece of protein and a couple veggie sticks and see if that works for me. To me it's all about not doing things automatically anymore and learning from the choices I make. Sorry, that was rambling!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kmactx said:

 OK guys, I have a confession. Last night I had a huge sugar craving. I had a 1/4 of a banana and a tablespoon and nut butter. I know this is compliant but it totally defeats the whole purpose of whole30. Just substituting fruit and nut butter for  my sugar fix. Anyone have any advice? 

I think this is one of the "purpose" rules I have the most problems with. I definitely have sugar cravings, but reaching for fruit is a WAY healthier solution - nutrition-wise sure, but also in terms of mindfulness - than my usual candy or cookies or whatever. As long as I'm not eating fruit for every meal (which I'm sure you aren't, and I'm not!) I don't personally have a problem with fruit as a way to avoid grabbing a Snickers. I'm not the spokesperson for Whole30, obviously, but especially in these first few days, if it's between some fruit and but butter and just quitting, I'll take all the fruit, please! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm definitely feeling the craving for sugar and snacking too!  Although I must say the craving is much weaker today than yesterday.  Just picture the end result when we have control over our body rather than the body controlling us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Day 4 and I'm finally feeling some real differences. I slept SO well last night. I was basically dead until my puppy woke me up at 4:45 to be let out. Usually I wake up around 3 and toss and turn for a while until I can fall back asleep. And then I woke up this morning and I was hungry within 15 minutes, which doesn't ever happen unless I skipped dinner the night before or slept until noon. 

We had cabbage wrapped burgers with homemade baked fries last night topped with fried eggs and my homemade mayo and the compliant mustard that just happened to be in our fridge already (and then my husband had fry sauce, right in front of me!). It was delicious. I also started drinking the real coconut milk, cut in half with water, yesterday morning, and holy shit why didn't I know about it years ago? I anticipate that will be my main fat course for the next 27 days! 

I'm feeling good, I haven't had any more headaches or bad cravings (I'm sure the cravings are coming though), keep it up everyone, we can do this! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Kimbo8 said:

I feel like in this stage..our bodies are still confused. It's hard to tell if I'm truly hungry or just craving things. I do know that if I "white knuckle" it and eat nothing...I'm more likely to cave and go straight to the goods. Eating a small amount of fat and veggies calmed me down and whatever I was craving passed. So I don't think that eating nothing is the answer...I think you just have to be smart about what you pick. I didn't feel "rewarded" after eating that snack, I guess I finally felt content.

 

I understand that, but it's probably better to try an alternative activity, like doing something to distract yourself, first. For example, going for a walk around the block, sitting down to read a book, or something else that can distract your mind. If you are still hungry 10-15 minutes later, then, of course, eat, but it just seems like a bad idea to immediately reach for food, albeit healthy food, when a craving hits. That is all I'm saying. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, eatspinraverepeat said:

I feel like in the true spirit of Whole30, we should try to avoid eating (anything) in response to the "sugar dragon." Thoughts?

I think you need to assess if it's genuine hunger or just a craving. A craving is brief and will pass. Hunger will not. If it's a craving you can try distraction techniques - running a bath, taking a walk outdoors, painting your nails, re-arranging your CD collection/filing system etc... If it still doesn't pass then reach for fat, which provides the same pleasureable response to the brain as sugar - so maybe some olives, a spoonful of macnnut oil or mayo, a little avocado.... Reaching for fruit wll satisfy the craving with naturally occuring sugars - and the body can't differentiate between fructose & glucose so you're effectively feeding that sugar dragon & keeping it alive...

Of course if it's hunger then eat, and reassess the size of your meals going forward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also started February 15th.    I think I hit the "kill all the things" stage this morning.  It usually happens as a result of a dip in my blood sugar.    So add this new routine to it.   Much crankier.   I snapped at my husband when I had no reason to.  He rightly let me know it.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The changes I have noticed so far for me are increased muscle soreness and dry mouth.

I have been doing a crossfit-style workout for the past few months, but in the weeks leading up to Whole30, I didn't get very sore. I was pretty much eating too much, and terrible food (candy, bagels, cookies, etc), but I wasn't getting sore after my workouts...maybe I was producing endorphins from my candy indulgences and just didn't feel it? Well over the past 4 days, I really feel all the work I have done in the muscle groups I've used in the workouts. I also feel less puffy than I was prior. The good thing is, I like muscle soreness, so I'm enjoying this experience.

Anyone else suddenly experiencing more muscle soreness?

 

I also have noticed my gums/mouth feel dry at times throughout the day. I am drinking between 56-64 ounces of water a day, at least, so it is not dehydration. Just something I have noticed.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, eatspinraverepeat said:

The changes I have noticed so far for me are increased muscle soreness and dry mouth.

Are you eating some lean protein postWO? Re the dry mouth how much fat are you including in your meals? And what veg are you eating on a daily basis?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Day 5...Still hanging in there and enjoying the adventure of creating supper. I'm still working on choking down breakfast and am doing better for lunches. Not close to the amount it says I should be eating...was thinking because my activity is low to nonexistent I don't need as much?  This morning I choked down (truthfully, it felt like I was forcing it down) about 5 bites of an egg casserole (egg, turkey sausage, arugula/spinach/kale mix, onions and peppers). Better than nothing right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Brensuma said:

Day 5...Still hanging in there and enjoying the adventure of creating supper. I'm still working on choking down breakfast and am doing better for lunches. Not close to the amount it says I should be eating...was thinking because my activity is low to nonexistent I don't need as much?  This morning I choked down (truthfully, it felt like I was forcing it down) about 5 bites of an egg casserole (egg, turkey sausage, arugula/spinach/kale mix, onions and peppers). Better than nothing right?

I've been feeling kinda the same way. Do you get hungry before lunch? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, jmcbn said:

Are you eating some lean protein postWO? Re the dry mouth how much fat are you including in your meals? And what veg are you eating on a daily basis?

Post WO I eat 2 eggs, 100 grams sweet potato, 1/2 avocado and sometimes eat that over 2-3 handfuls spinach.

For each meal, I include a decent amount of fat. Cook my eggs in 1 tsp coconut oil, meats I consume are cooked in coconut oil or ghee, and sometimes I add a tsp coconut oil to zoodles when I eat them.

Daily vegetables: sweet potato and/or butternut squash, spinach, zucchini, bell pepper, carrots (sometimes)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Brensuma said:

Day 5...Still hanging in there and enjoying the adventure of creating supper. I'm still working on choking down breakfast and am doing better for lunches. Not close to the amount it says I should be eating...was thinking because my activity is low to nonexistent I don't need as much?  This morning I choked down (truthfully, it felt like I was forcing it down) about 5 bites of an egg casserole (egg, turkey sausage, arugula/spinach/kale mix, onions and peppers). Better than nothing right?

 

1 hour ago, Kimbo8 said:

I've been feeling kinda the same way. Do you get hungry before lunch? 

Just keep trying.... A lack of appetite in the morning is indicative of a hormonal imbalance, and NOT eating will only perpetuate the problem. I know it can seem tough and like you're forcing your food down, but you'll be surprised how quickly your appetite will come around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, eatspinraverepeat said:

Post WO I eat 2 eggs, 100 grams sweet potato, 1/2 avocado and sometimes eat that over 2-3 handfuls spinach.

Is this a meal or a postWO meal? Either way the fat in the avocado & the egg yolks will prevent muscle protein synthesis as it slows down the absorption of nutrients which would explain why you feel so achey. PostWO yi want a few bites of a lean protein, and some optional starchy carbs only - depening on the intensity of your work out. Then you can eat your next meal 30mins or so later...

As for fat, what you're using to cook with mostly stays in the pan, or is divided out between multiple portions so don't be afraid to add an additional source to each meal.

Veg wise you look to be doing okay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jmcbn said:

 

Just keep trying.... A lack of appetite in the morning is indicative of a hormonal imbalance, and NOT eating will only perpetuate the problem. I know it can seem tough and like you're forcing your food down, but you'll be surprised how quickly your appetite will come around.

Thanks so much @jmcbn! I've wondered why I'm not hungry in the AMs until 10ish. Looking forward to this improving as the 30 days progresses. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, jmcbn said:

Is this a meal or a postWO meal? Either way the fat in the avocado & the egg yolks will prevent muscle protein synthesis as it slows down the absorption of nutrients which would explain why you feel so achey. PostWO yi want a few bites of a lean protein, and some optional starchy carbs only - depening on the intensity of your work out. Then you can eat your next meal 30mins or so later...

As for fat, what you're using to cook with mostly stays in the pan, or is divided out between multiple portions so don't be afraid to add an additional source to each meal.

Veg wise you look to be doing okay.

 

Interesting, I never knew that about fat preventing protein uptake. I will have to look into it.

I will have to experiment with bringing breakfast to work with me as I only have time to eat one meal between workout and work.

Does not enough fat intake lead to dry mouth?

Thanks for your help here!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Day 5 and so far, so good. I don't think I've had any crazy mood swings or cravings, although I definitely got lazy about dinner last night. Fried potatoes, scrambled eggs, and coconut milk for fat, nary a green vegetable in sight. I'm excited for spaghetti for dinner tonight, the extra squash and roasted veggies should help make up for last night :) I'm noticing my jeans getting loser, which is noticeable because usually at this time of the month I get some extra bloat. Keep it up everyone! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, jmcbn said:

 

Just keep trying.... A lack of appetite in the morning is indicative of a hormonal imbalance, and NOT eating will only perpetuate the problem. I know it can seem tough and like you're forcing your food down, but you'll be surprised how quickly your appetite will come around.

Hormonal imbalance....like female part hormone? Sorry if I sound like an idiot. It wouldn't surprise me if I have an imbalance of any kind. Would explain the inability to lose weight, have no energy but tons of aches and pains. Still gonna plug along though 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MargretB said:

Day 5 and so far, so good. I don't think I've had any crazy mood swings or cravings, although I definitely got lazy about dinner last night. Fried potatoes, scrambled eggs, and coconut milk for fat, nary a green vegetable in sight. I'm excited for spaghetti for dinner tonight, the extra squash and roasted veggies should help make up for last night :) I'm noticing my jeans getting loser, which is noticeable because usually at this time of the month I get some extra bloat. Keep it up everyone! 

 

Way to go on the NSV!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Day 5 was great...except that as I was reading the packaging on some sausage I bought, I realized it wasn't compliant. I had read the ingredients 3 times at the store and didn't see sneaky added cane sugar. Regardless, I ate some on day 3, so I will be adding 3 days to my Whole30. I don't see an issue with adding any extra time, in fact, I want to implement a Whole30 lifestyle long-term; however, I'm really disappointed that I made this mistake. I guess I need someone to double-check packaging for me. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites