Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eatspinraverepeat

February 15th--Let's Do This

Recommended Posts

18 hours ago, eatspinraverepeat said:

The only thing I'd warn you about regarding spaghetti squash was that it reminded me so much of spaghetti combined with the compliant marinara sauce I purchase, that I had this urge to eat the usual accompaniments that come with pasta dishes!

My main reason for doing this was an easy or "no cook" night which pizza provided. We haven't  really eatenpasta  or rice in years as I knew those things put weight on fast. And, certainly pizza does too:lol: My son is coming home for a college Spring break & we told him how we're eating. Such a sweet kid, he said he's down for Spaghetti squash & meat sauce on Friday night! 

@Kmactx- BASEBALL! My son played from 4-18 & I love that sport! Good for you packing your cooler & congrats on ur sons team winning. Glad your energy is back!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, eatspinraverepeat said:

How did you feel about including a raw egg? 

I get my eggs from my mom's chickens, who are free range and spoiled rotten, so I did not have a problem using a raw egg.  But I do understand why people would have issues using a raw egg.

@rgill :D Thank you!! I love baseball too. My son is 14 and has played since he was 4 as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Feeling a little discouraged today. I'm having a "want to quit day". I'm tired and stressed and noticing that desire for sugar! I have not given in. Trying to remind myself of all the work and effort I've put in these 12 days. I've also been really hungry not long after legit meals. Feeling like I've noticed a big difference (until today...but still the pull is less), in cravings, but not as much difference as I hoped in body composition. 

Ok...just getting that all out . Thanks for "listening"!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, jboyd said:

Feeling a little discouraged today. I'm having a "want to quit day". I'm tired and stressed and noticing that desire for sugar! I have not given in. Trying to remind myself of all the work and effort I've put in these 12 days. I've also been really hungry not long after legit meals. Feeling like I've noticed a big difference (until today...but still the pull is less), in cravings, but not as much difference as I hoped in body composition. 

Ok...just getting that all out . Thanks for "listening"!

You've got this! Your cravings have changed and you've identified what's triggering them (tired and stressed). 

Are you eating enough fat with your meals? For me, that's the key to feeling sated. I almost forgot with breakfast this morning and couldn't figure out how to add extra in (my brain wasn't fully awake), so I had a big spoonful of coconut cream with my eggs and sweet potatoes. 

We're almost to the halfway point, from what I understand it's totally normal not to see a huge difference in body comp at this point. As I've seen other people on the forum say, "This is a Whole30, not a Whole12." The program is doing its thing, and your cravings are totally normal at this point in the program.

http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/

I believe in you. As long as you want this, I have no doubts you'll be successful. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/16/2017 at 9:17 AM, MargretB said:

Day 2: I'm realizing that I'll need to make some kind of breakfast that can just be reheated in the morning because there's no way I'm going to be able to keep getting up on time to cook and eat breakfast AND get ready for work AND be there on time. Anyone have a favorite batch breakfast they want to recommend? 

Also, I've had a light headache for about an hour now. I'm not totally sure if it's just general tiredness (one of the reasons I'm doing this in the first place), or if this is the start of sugar withdrawals. I'm gonna have a second cup of coffee and see if that helps anything. 

Oh, and I'm super jealous of all of you with access to TJ's, Whole Foods, and Costco. I'm been to all 3 grocery stores in my tiny town (on an island in Alaska) and there is no compliant bacon to be found :( 

MargretB, what island in Alaska are you on? I'm on Kodiak and just started Whole30 yesterday (February 27th)! Dreaming of TJ's, Whole Foods, & Costco too. Or that Amazon would at least deliver some of the products I want here! Ahhh island life :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jboyd said:

Feeling a little discouraged today. I'm having a "want to quit day". I'm tired and stressed and noticing that desire for sugar! I have not given in. Trying to remind myself of all the work and effort I've put in these 12 days. I've also been really hungry not long after legit meals. Feeling like I've noticed a big difference (until today...but still the pull is less), in cravings, but not as much difference as I hoped in body composition. 

Ok...just getting that all out . Thanks for "listening"!

 

Try eating a good serving of sweet potato with your next meal and a healthy portion of fat. I was feeling very blase yesterday when I attempted to cut down my starchy veggies. My addition of sweet potato, a nice half of a large avocado and an extra egg at breakfast took my mood to the next level.

Remember: you have full control of your body. Your hand doesn't move without you allowing it, so put your foot down, and realize that you are stronger (in fact, separate from) than your cravings. I think it is really interesting to take an out-of-body approach when those sugar cravings hit. Examine them like someone else is telling you to eat something not W30. You could almost take an inquisitive approach and try to interrogate your cravings a bit. Why are you here? What do you expect me to gain from indulging, etc? Kinda a weird strategy, but I find it fun. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wanted to show you all a pic of our dinner tonight. It was so yummy & easy! Tuna steaks, sautéed kale with almonds(pg 230 of the whole 30 book)& riced cauliflower with spring onions, carrots & dates.  

IMG_3167.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stress got the best of me today. Did not go off W30 in terms of compliant foods, but definitely overate. 

I realize that last minute writing assignments (work-wise) make me feel SO MUCH STRESS. I can barely handle it. I would love to hear what everyone else does to cope when faced with super high stress levels (and less than optimal motivation levels). I need help with this!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, MargretB said:

@MarbomI'm in Southeast, unfortunately not Juneau :( 

The idea that anything would be shipped to me in time to be useful is so far-fetched that just thinking about it is depressing. 

I hear ya MargretB! I have had a migraine from weather change for the last 36 hours. Today I finally made it out of bed and to the grocery store and the barge hadn't made it in yet = no produce! Dreaming of Amazon Fresh where they deliver it straight to your door. LOL.

We got this though! Alaskan women are tough!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Day 13! Fighting a migraine and some just blah, plus cramps (ugggggghhhh....), but definitely seeing some NSVs, like reduced cravings, clearer skin, better general attitude about life, etc., and I haven't measured, but I know I've lost inches and weight. Ate an entire giant ribeye by myself last night, and could have eaten another, so I think it's time to up my iron supplements that I usually take, but not a whole lot to report. How's everyone doing today?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, eatspinraverepeat said:

Stress got the best of me today. Did not go off W30 in terms of compliant foods, but definitely overate. 

I realize that last minute writing assignments (work-wise) make me feel SO MUCH STRESS. I can barely handle it. I would love to hear what everyone else does to cope when faced with super high stress levels (and less than optimal motivation levels). I need help with this!

Did you get the book yet?  There is a section on having a plan for stressful situations that might help.  You're an exerciser, correct?  I am a yogi and I do find that just stopping to breath for two minutes helps get through most stressful situations...Hang in there!! We are so close to the 1/2 way point!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Checking in.  Tomorrow we are at the 50% mark!!!  Not easy, but, it's doable, right?  So glad we are sticking to the challange & checking in here with our successful days and our struggles.  I definitely am still thinking about chocolate!!  I don't think I've ever gone this long w/o it. I

For all you that are working out, how are you handling eating before hand?  I used to just grab a spoonful of PB before a w/o and then have a Kind bar afterwards.  Now, I'll basically eat 1/2 my breakfast and then bring the other 1/2 to the gym.  Is that what were supposed to do??

@History&Pearls - what is an NSV?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Day 14 is almost down--burger and fries and salad for dinner here. Trump's speech is on and so far this is the hardest time I've had not drinking. Tomorrow is the halfway point, it's going to feel good to be counting down from 15 from here on out! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm having a rough day 14. This is going to be TMI I'm sure.

Had an awesome breakfast of 3 eggs over easy over vegetables and potatoes, my current favorite. Then I had a client meeting...during the break I had fruit because it was all I could have from the catering...then for lunch a big salad with hard boiled eggs and olive oil, which was moderately satisfying...then I had a 3 hour drive home. Stopped at Chipotle for a bowl of carnitas and guacamole, still felt a little hungry. Drank a bunch of ice water, still hungry. Then it got worse so I stopped again and had compliant nuts and dried fruit...that finally filled me up like 400-500 calories later. Later for dinner I had 11 ounces of strip steak, half an avocado, and half a baked potato with homemade mayonnaise.

Now after all that I opened the cabinet to put away a Tupperware and saw a box of Peanut Butter Crunch cereal (I am the only one in my family doing this). I seriously wanted to cry, I wanted to try it so much, and yes I am a 39 year old woman who is normally on a pretty even keel.

Just a vent I guess. I hope my appetite changes soon, both in size and in what I want to eat, because this is not working for me right now. I'm wondering if I should cut fruit completely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, rgill said:

Did you get the book yet?  There is a section on having a plan for stressful situations that might help.  You're an exerciser, correct?  I am a yogi and I do find that just stopping to breath for two minutes helps get through most stressful situations...Hang in there!! We are so close to the 1/2 way point!

 

Hey @rgill! Great tips! I do have the book, but haven't made it to that section yet, so I'm reading it tonight before bed. Also, that is really great advice regarding taking a minute to breathe. I feel like I have been going non-stop for the past few days. So busy to the point that I don't feel like I can take a break, but I will probably get more done if I cut away for a little bit.

49 minutes ago, scma said:

Then it got worse so I stopped again and had compliant nuts and dried fruit...that finally filled me up like 400-500 calories later. ....

Just a vent I guess. I hope my appetite changes soon, both in size and in what I want to eat, because this is not working for me right now. I'm wondering if I should cut fruit completely.

 

@scma I had a similar experience yesterday. The dried fruit (for me it was raisins) really did me in. I think it was my sugar dragon. I have tried to cut back on fruit, because I think it leads me down a slippery slope.

When I think about supplementing my meal with fruit, I am making sure I think about whether I would want to add sweet potato or butternut squash. My theory is if my body needs carbs and is telling me so through an inkling for fruit, then any carb should do. If I'm just craving sweets and trying to get that through fruit, I probably won't want to eat anymore sweet potato, which is quite a bit more filling than, say, an apple. Otherwise, if I really need carbs, I'll add in a starchy veg.

I'm still working this out in higher stress situations. The past two days at my work have been insane. I'm really happy there, just a lot to get done and not enough time in the work day to accomplish it.

 

Day 14 check-in: Made it another day and was so much better than yesterday. The sad thing is, after a bit of overeating raisins yesterday, I slept better than I have in the past week. My observation is that I wasn't getting enough carbs prior. I was generous with my carbs today, but not generous with my fruit. Kept it to a minimum and I'm feeling good. I'm looking forward to less stress tomorrow and a successful day 15!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, rgill said:

For all you that are working out, how are you handling eating before hand?  I used to just grab a spoonful of PB before a w/o and then have a Kind bar afterwards.  Now, I'll basically eat 1/2 my breakfast and then bring the other 1/2 to the gym.  Is that what were supposed to do??

 

You could have a spoonful of almond/cashew butter before your WO, or any kind of protein/fat - that's the recommendation. Then postWO you should be eating a lean protein & some optional starchy carbs - depending on the intensity of your work out. Splitting your breakfast in this way is counter productive as you're providing carbs before your WO (which your body will use as fuel rather than learning to tap into it's fat stores), and you're eating fat postWO (which will prevent protein muscle synthesis as it slows down absorption of nutrients).

9 hours ago, scma said:

I'm having a rough day 14. This is going to be TMI I'm sure.

Had an awesome breakfast of 3 eggs over easy over vegetables and potatoes, my current favorite. Then I had a client meeting...during the break I had fruit because it was all I could have from the catering...then for lunch a big salad with hard boiled eggs and olive oil, which was moderately satisfying...then I had a 3 hour drive home. Stopped at Chipotle for a bowl of carnitas and guacamole, still felt a little hungry. Drank a bunch of ice water, still hungry. Then it got worse so I stopped again and had compliant nuts and dried fruit...that finally filled me up like 400-500 calories later. Later for dinner I had 11 ounces of strip steak, half an avocado, and half a baked potato with homemade mayonnaise.

Now after all that I opened the cabinet to put away a Tupperware and saw a box of Peanut Butter Crunch cereal (I am the only one in my family doing this). I seriously wanted to cry, I wanted to try it so much, and yes I am a 39 year old woman who is normally on a pretty even keel.

Just a vent I guess. I hope my appetite changes soon, both in size and in what I want to eat, because this is not working for me right now. I'm wondering if I should cut fruit completely.

Fruit can definitely cause faux hunger, blood sugar spikes & dips etc - especially when eaten in the morning or when eaten on it's own.

I'm guessing if you'd added some additional fat to breakfast that you wouoldn't have felt the need for the fruit at the meeting, and it wouldn't have all snow-balled from there. Personally I don't find oils that satiating - maybe try something more solid in your salads like mayo of avocado?

Protein wise your breakfast sounds fine. How much protein was in your salad?

Basically protein will give you staying power, fat will provide your energy, and veg will privide fibre giving you that nice full feeling. If you find that you're not able to stretch out your meals for 4-5hrs then you probalby need more protein/fat.

Try keeping any fruit until meal 3, or at least eat it WITH your meal, or as part of it, and stay away from the dried fruit - it packs quite the sugar punch.

Hope this helps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was traveling for work so I didn't have access to avocado, my homemade mayo, or anything like that. I did bring my own coconut milk along for coffee. Otherwise though I was at the mercy of the hotel breakfast (which was in fact a satisfying meal) and the client's catered lunch. At lunch, I couldn't exactly go crazy with a custom, home-brought meal in front of the client, even though I did go to their cafeteria to add 2 hardboiled eggs and some chicken breast (which was dreadful and I barely ate) to my salad (that and olive oil were the extent of the compliant salad bar items that would make it more filling). Then I truly tried to fulfill my lunch healthfully, after the client meeting when I was so hungry, by getting the carnitas and guacamole. Even that did not work. For some reason, the only food that stops the hunger for me, besides my morning eggs, is nuts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We're officially halfway today! I got a (compliant) smoothie from Panera as a treat for myself this morning - we don't have a blender and I refuse to buy a one purpose tool so it's definitely a treat! Had that with my normal breakfast and feel great so far!

Last night we made the sweet and spicy sausage stuffed acorn squash from Whole30 Recipes Instagram - seriously the best thing we've made so far! I'm a pretty accomplished cook, but I just wouldn't have thought of that, and it was amazing!

How is everyone feeling today? I'm having a hard time waking up in the mornings again, but once I'm up I'm UP. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, History&Pearls said:

I'm a pretty accomplished cook, but I just wouldn't have thought of that, and it was amazing!

That's awesome! Always inspiring  to try new things. I like to cook myself. Especially like to bake, but, that's another story...anyway I have discovered how YUMMY dates taste with savory things.  I add them to my salads with roasted almonds or pistachios & of course tons of veggies & some chicken. Just love the sweet & salty taste.  Tonight we are having loaded sweet potatoes. Saw this  on Instagram I think. Ground beef, avacados, salsa. Sounds pretty tasty doesn't it? And, easy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, rgill said:

That's awesome! Always inspiring  to try new things. I like to cook myself. Especially like to bake, but, that's another story...anyway I have discovered how YUMMY dates taste with savory things.  I add them to my salads with roasted almonds or pistachios & of course tons of veggies & some chicken. Just love the sweet & salty taste.  Tonight we are having loaded sweet potatoes. Saw this  on Instagram I think. Ground beef, avacados, salsa. Sounds pretty tasty doesn't it? And, easy. 

I will have to try that sweet potato meal! Thanks for sharing. I appreciated the encouragement I received when I was having a hard day a couple of days ago! I think the starch was missing that day and therefore i made a batch of sweet mashed potatoes. I ate too many, and I was "trying to fill some craving". Overall, I'm thankful that is was that and not my typical chocolate or pretzels. I was HUNGRY yesterday and had a hard time feeling satiated (as some others of you have shared) even though I felt like I was eating so much. Today is a new day. I found a bar (1 out of a large selection) and beef stick at Traders to bring along with me as I travel this week in case I get in a pickle. 

Keep posting! It 's super helpful to here where others are at. I've appreciated much of the advice given to others on here too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Kick the habit said:

How do you know if you are eating enough?  I'm always pretty hungry mid to late afternoon.  I question if the set meals are enough for me.

Ideally you should be able to go 4-5 hours between meals, and if you're working out you should be adding in your before and after workout snacks. What time are you eating lunch? If it's early then being hungry before dinner might be normal. How closely are you following the meal template? You could try adding in more protein if you're at the lower end of the recommendation (the template is 1-2 servings) and making sure you're getting enough fat. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Day 15!  Way to go everyone!  I wish I could get my energy level under control. Yesterday I had crazy tiger blood, powered through my work out and had great energy all day.  Today I feel lethargic.  Tomorrow I am going to try to add more fat to my meals and see if that helps with my energy level.

@History&Pearls your dinner from last night sounds so yummy. I will have to make it too.

 Tomorrow starts the downhill slope. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites