Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eatspinraverepeat

February 15th--Let's Do This

Recommended Posts

I've finally been able to eat 3 meals. Yahoo! I have noticed I sleep and wake up better. Still loving the food recipes from Whole30 books. I try not to eat fruit every day but love that I can have some if I want. I miss coffee though (can't drink it black). Proud of myself that I was at the grocery store and passed by the donuts, sample pizza and same cinnamon rolls. I want to try the ketchup recipe and some salad dressing. 

  Hope you all have a good weekend and stay strong!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We're really approaching the home stretch here everyone. We only have 1 more Friday left, and one more Saturday after today etc...It's almost time to start thinking about life post-Whole30. 

I'm starting to feel A LOT more energy. We were up last night until the whole town lost power around 10:30, and then when puppy woke me up at 7, I was just up, no need for the extra sleeping in I usually do on the weekends. I got right up and had breakfast and then started tackling the snow. We ended up getting over 3 feet in just over 24 hours, so there was a lot of shoveling to get done. I cleared a nice wide path to our door, then moved on to the deck! It's not covered so it got ALL the snow. Since it's not supposed to warm up enough to melt snow anytime soon, and we're supposed to get MORE snow this week, and it's the wet, heavy kind, I cleared off the entire deck for fear of it having too much weight on it. Then I got the car dug out, which was quite a feat, so that I could do to the grocery store. New discovery: Aquafina now makes compliant sparkling water in flavors La Croix doesn't! I picked up a pack of pineapple-mango to try. Anyway, I forgot how tiring shoveling snow can be and decided to haul all my groceries up from the garage (2 flights of stairs) in one go, and by the time I got to the kitchen my shoulders were on fire! 

My chicken recipe from last night was amazing and made lots of leftovers so I picked up some butter lettuce to make wraps with it for lunches and am enjoying it right now. I'm planning to take the rest of the day off from doing much of anything since the morning was so very productive. I hope everyone else is having a great Saturday! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I spent the last day and 1/2 traveling. I was thankful for what I prepped ahead of time! - I mixed tuna, avocado, and mashed sweet potatoes together  and put them in red pepper halves. It was yummy! Today I had sliced peppers and apples with Tuna, avocado and mustard and hard boiled eggs. Luckily, we found a great Mediterranean restaurant for dinner where I got a huge bowl of greens, tomoates, babaganush and beef! It was great! Keep going! I feel like o am learning to read my body's hunger so much better!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/3/2017 at 5:18 PM, ShannonM816 said:

Assuming you're female, this could be related to where you are in your cycle -- most women find that in the week or so leading up to their period, they are much hungrier than usual, and this is normal, and it's okay to eat more. More food in general, and more fat and starchy vegetable in particular, can help.

It could be related to having only fish and eggs, but it's not like you've been doing that for days and days, so it seems unlikely to have caused this much difference at this point, although it's possible. On days where you're just doing fish and eggs, you may want to aim for the high end of the meal template for protein -- go for 2 palm-sized servings at each meal, or even a little extra if you feel you need it. And if you can, go for fattier, oilier fish, like salmon, sardines, or mackerel, rather than leaner ones like catfish or cod.

You are totally right. I am due tomorrow. Tonight I caved and ate some "emergency food" of dried fruit and nuts because I was feeling desperate - and I had already tried sweet potatoes. It scratched the itch but I know I might pay for it tomorrow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today was my biggest challenge yet due to my first experience at a restaurant. It was easy though. Two poached eggs, fruit (made sure it was fresh, not from a can or package), and half an avocado.

Also, before that I ran a 5k. Busy busy day, but stay compliant. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Food prep today: roasted sweet potatoes, Melissa's chicken hash, ground turkey (Practical Paleo restaurant style lettuce cups), Salsa Verde Chicken (Practical Paleo), 2 cups ghee, and yellow cauliflower rice (cauli rice + turmeric, garlic powder, salt, pepper + currants).

I snacked a lot as I ate, so I'm disappointed in the amount of roasted sweet potatoes I have left for the week; however, I have TONS of food otherwise. I should not need to cook at all, save for maybe more cauli rice late in the week.

I definitely have favorite recipes, but I did branch out with the chicken hash today from the Whole30 book. It didn't turn out  like the picture, but I can guarantee they spiralized the sweet potato for the pic and did not grate as the recipe indicates.

How did everyone's weekend go? Anyone else getting done with meal prep today?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, eatspinraverepeat said:

How did everyone's weekend go? Anyone else getting done with meal prep today?

I shoveled a ton of snow yesterday and I feel pleasantly sore today. I remembered why I exercise--so that I *can* shovel a ton of snow when I need to. 

Today has been pretty lazy, but I do have breakfasts for the week made (roasted sweet potato and apple with sausage and coconut flakes, I'll add a hard-boiled egg in the mornings). I made a new batch of clarified butter and 18 hard-boiled eggs. There's a chicken roasting in the crock pot for dinner. I used the rest of my carrots so unfortunately it looks like I'll have to stop by the store this week, I've been adding them to my lunches. So, I didn't get a ton done but I feel good about what is done for the week, because breakfasts are the most important for me to have ready to go in the mornings. 

I have to admit I'm definitely counting down to March 17, I can't believe tomorrow is day 20! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@MargretB Looks like I wasn't the only one simmering butter and multi-tasking in the kitchen today! Sounds like you really accomplished a lot, especially considering snow shoveling yesterday. I can't believe it is Day 20 either!

I just got Food Freedom Forever today and I'm looking forward to planning out my re-intro. My plan is to keep things pretty strict, but try dairy and alcohol (wine) in the first two weeks after the 30 days. 

I have this inkling that dairy may be an irritant for me, so I guess it is best for me to find out sooner rather than later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So one pleasant and not so pleasant thing for me has been noticing that I have more emotion than I allowed myself before. I like peace, I don't like conflict. I tend to numb negative emotions especially with food. All that to say, I have cried this week from joy and on the other end gotten SO angry with my husband. I feel like taking away food as an escape may make me aware of more of what's going on in my inner life. I'm praying for much grace and love (I KNOW it's there for me, a lot of the time I don't let myself EXPERIENCE it.) 

I think I'm going to start my period soon and I wanted chocolate SO badly last night! I appreciated idea of dried fruit and nuts :) I had a bit  of that and felt satisfied ! I can't believe it. This is the week that can really throw me off typically, I also tend to rebell against this type of thing and feel like I "deserve" to eat what I want when I want. 

Im going to make myself check back in more frequently over this next week. 

we just got back in town so the fridge is pretty empty headed into a  busy busy week. Going to try and make it priority today to plan and shop. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Day 20! How is everyone feeling?

This weekend was challenging, with an incredibly picky kid in tow, but I don't think anyone was starving. Yesterday was my birthday, and it was weird not to go out for a big thing and have cake, but we made banana ice cream (bananas and almond butter) which, yeah, is dessert, but such a better choice than I would have made without it!

Today my coworkers are treating me to lunch, but also brought cupcakes. I'm not totally sure how to get out of at least taking one back to my desk. I don't plan to eat it, but they were all doing Whole30 with me until they dropped out at day 11ish, so they know I'm doing it too. I only work with 3 other people so it's pretty tight knit. Still working out my game plan for that one!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't believe I made it 20 days! Usually by now I would have given up. And usually given in to food boredom. But I'm loving the food options and ideas the books give. My next book purchases will be "It starts with food" and "Food Freedom Forever". Stay strong everyone! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, jboyd said:

So one pleasant and not so pleasant thing for me has been noticing that I have more emotion than I allowed myself before. I like peace, I don't like conflict. I tend to numb negative emotions especially with food. All that to say, I have cried this week from joy and on the other end gotten SO angry with my husband. I feel like taking away food as an escape may make me aware of more of what's going on in my inner life. I'm praying for much grace and love (I KNOW it's there for me, a lot of the time I don't let myself EXPERIENCE it.) 

I think I'm going to start my period soon and I wanted chocolate SO badly last night! I appreciated idea of dried fruit and nuts :) I had a bit  of that and felt satisfied ! I can't believe it. This is the week that can really throw me off typically, I also tend to rebell against this type of thing and feel like I "deserve" to eat what I want when I want. 

Im going to make myself check back in more frequently over this next week. 

we just got back in town so the fridge is pretty empty headed into a  busy busy week. Going to try and make it priority today to plan and shop. 

 

Same here re: emotions coming out because there's no food to dull them. This is an awesome observation, thanks for pointing this out, I didn't realize it till you said it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/4/2017 at 9:15 PM, scma said:

You are totally right. I am due tomorrow. Tonight I caved and ate some "emergency food" of dried fruit and nuts because I was feeling desperate - and I had already tried sweet potatoes. It scratched the itch but I know I might pay for it tomorrow.

So maybe it's not what I thought it was....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all - checking in.   I've been reading about the reintroduction of foods.  It doesn't really address chocolate....that's what I want first.  Any thoughts on that?  I wonder if it's b/c it's dairy & sugar together??

I still feel crappy from a cold, but, did a little prep over the weekend.  Grilled up some chicken tenders.  Precut a bunch of sweet potatoes for fries and restocked my cut veggies. We're having grilled tuna with a cucumber salsa and riced cauliflower & grilled zucchini tonight.   What's on everyone else's dinner menu?

Can't believe we are finishing up day 20!! Woohoo!! 

BTW: there is a good FB page to check out called Keep Calm and Whole30 on

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, History&Pearls said:

Yesterday was my birthday, and it was weird not to go out for a big thing and have cake, but we made banana ice cream (bananas and almond butter) which, yeah, is dessert, but such a better choice than I would have made without it!

Today my coworkers are treating me to lunch, but also brought cupcakes.

Happy birthday to you!!  That's awesome that you made an alternative for your cake.  How was the banana almond butter ice cream??  I've seen the frozen banana ice cream, but never tried it.  I hope your coworkers didn't pressure you.  Esp since you are still going strong on this!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@rgill - Thank you! The ice cream was actually really good - I think my boyfriend liked it better than real ice cream! I did 5 bananas, sliced and then frozen (in the food processor until creamy), then added about 1/2 cup of almond butter, and about 1/8 teaspoon of kosher salt, mixed, then froze it in a loaf pan greased with coconut oil for about 3 hours. It was somewhere between soft serve and regular ice cream. I think it would be even better with some strawberries or blueberries on top!

And my coworkers finally remembered and felt bad, so my cupcake is in the freezer here at work, wrapped up tight!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, History&Pearls said:

@rgill - Thank you! The ice cream was actually really good - I think my boyfriend liked it better than real ice cream! I did 5 bananas, sliced and then frozen (in the food processor until creamy), then added about 1/2 cup of almond butter, and about 1/8 teaspoon of kosher salt, mixed, then froze it in a loaf pan greased with coconut oil for about 3 hours. It was somewhere between soft serve and regular ice cream. I think it would be even better with some strawberries or blueberries on top!

And my coworkers finally remembered and felt bad, so my cupcake is in the freezer here at work, wrapped up tight!

That sounds really good! I'm going to try that soon. I saw a recipe today for Chocolate pudding made with avacados! It was sweetened with honey, so it will have to wait until after the 30 days. But, it looked so good!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought we weren't supposed to be concocting treats with compliant ingredients?

Day 20 went pretty well besides a ridiculously difficult time trying to get freshly cooked eggs at my supposedly 4-star hotel. I'm starting to think I really want to continue to eat W30 breakfasts and lunches after this is over. Dinners and desserts after dinner will probably be back...but I love how consistent my energy is during the day now and how little I crave snacks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, scma said:

I thought we weren't supposed to be concocting treats with compliant ingredients?

 

We absolutely aren't. That's one of the main rules to not recreate anything that might be a "comfort" food, but especially "paleo-friendly" treats/dessert. 

Let's hold strong and finish out the Whole30 the right way, everyone!

 

Sorry for the tough love. Today was a really taxing day for me with over 3.5 hours in my dentist chair this afternoon. But I really hope we can keep this thread Whole30-compliant!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, eatspinraverepeat said:

Today was a really taxing day for me with over 3.5 hours in my dentist chair this afternoon. But I really hope we can keep this thread Whole30-compliant!

Oh gosh, that does not sound fun at all! I hope that's the end of your dental adventures for a while. 

Today was good. I coated halibut fillets with mayo and almond flour with coconut flakes and pan-fried them in clarified butter with had roasted broccoli (one of my favorite sides for years now) to go with it. It was delightful. 

A friend just got back from Hawaii with all sorts of goodies--I have a jar of passion fruit jam in my cupboard and he dropped off a bunch of Hawaiian cookies. *Sigh* I'll probably try a bit of the jam fairly quickly after this is over, but the cookies are going to have to wait until after the reintroduction because they had both dairy and grains in them. 

We're in the single-digits for the countdown now, guys, let's finish out the last 9 days strong and compliant and leave the SWYPO for March 17 and beyond. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, MargretB said:

We're in the single-digits for the countdown now, guys, let's finish out the last 9 days strong and compliant and leave the SWYPO for March 17 and beyond. 

 

 Yes! Let's do this!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"I will not let the harsh things people say on the internet impact me." - My mantra for today. 

Blending bananas and almond butter together and putting it in the freezer is not, for me, recreating a trigger food. I get not making pancakes (because lord, those can't taste good), but this is not "ice cream." it's frozen bananas and almond butter - "ice cream" is just a much simpler way of saying what I made than "blended bananas that I shoved in a loaf pan and ate 7 bites of." And it was my birthday. Everyone's journey is different, and I would have eaten cake if I couldn't have made something special for myself, so if you don't want to freeze things and eat them, that's fine, but it's really discouraging to post a personal victory that borders on non-compliant but could have been so so so much worse and get raked over the coals for it. Far fewer people will do this at all if we're hateful to them. I think this forum is a great support group - so maybe being supportive is the way to go. 

Moving on. 

Made burgers (no buns, obviously) and potato wedges last night, with a side of green beans, and making my famous (and weirdly already totally compliant) Spanish chicken with chorizo and roasted potatoes and asparagus tonight. Found some compliant chorizo at Whole Foods finally. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, History&Pearls said:

"I will not let the harsh things people say on the internet impact me." - My mantra for today. 

Blending bananas and almond butter together and putting it in the freezer is not, for me, recreating a trigger food. I get not making pancakes (because lord, those can't taste good), but this is not "ice cream." it's frozen bananas and almond butter - "ice cream" is just a much simpler way of saying what I made than "blended bananas that I shoved in a loaf pan and ate 7 bites of." And it was my birthday. Everyone's journey is different, and I would have eaten cake if I couldn't have made something special for myself, so if you don't want to freeze things and eat them, that's fine, but it's really discouraging to post a personal victory that borders on non-compliant but could have been so so so much worse and get raked over the coals for it. Far fewer people will do this at all if we're hateful to them. I think this forum is a great support group - so maybe being supportive is the way to go. 

Moving on. 

Made burgers (no buns, obviously) and potato wedges last night, with a side of green beans, and making my famous (and weirdly already totally compliant) Spanish chicken with chorizo and roasted potatoes and asparagus tonight. Found some compliant chorizo at Whole Foods finally. 

I'm sorry if the rules sound harsh. But they are the rules. It is of course your decision to follow them for 30 days or not.

For others reading this, it doesn't matter--for the sake of the Whole30 rules--if the food you're eating is a trigger food or food with no brakes or not. Recreating these treats is against the rules. Whole30 can help you reset your relationship with food, so this isn't trivial. 

Quote
  • Do not try to re-create baked goods, junk foods, or treats* with “approved” ingredients. Continuing to eat your old, unhealthy foods made with Whole30 ingredients is totally missing the point, and will tank your results faster than you can say “Paleo Pop-Tarts.” Remember, these are the same foods that got you into health-trouble in the first place—and a pancake is still a pancake, regardless of the ingredients.

For myself, I approached the rules like a great game or experiment. Could I follow them for 30 days? And what would happen if I do? This made the rules more "fun" for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@ArtFossil - the rules don't sound harsh. People sound harsh. I absolutely agree with the rules, which is why I didn't make one of the "let me make something that tastes just like ice cream" recipes, and just blended some stuff together. If I hadn't frozen it, it would have been a smoothie, which, while not encouraged as something we should drink all the time, are allowed. That's how I interpreted the rule. If I interpreted it differently than someone else, that's on me. We are not our brothers' keepers. There are just so many nicer ways to suggest that someone rethink something - I have a pretty thick skin, but this is supposed to be a supportive place, and I don't think that jumping on people in such a harsh way (again, the rules don't sound harsh, but the replies I received did) isn't encouraging. If I broke the rules, or misinterpreted them, there are so many kinder, more supportive ways to react.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites