February 15th--Let's Do This

eatspinraverepeat

Day 15--Chicken fajitas are for dinner (except with cabbage instead of tortillas). I miss tortillas. Only 2 more Fridays until happy hour though! Alcohol is absolutely what I'm reintroducing first. The last two weeks at work have been FAR more stressful than they were supposed to be, and I miss the weekly decompression ritual with my coworkers. 

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So today, after my vent last night and some advice that was given, I ate no fruit - and I felt totally full after meals and never needed to snack. I did have an inkling for something sweet after dinner but here I am 2 hours later and never even picked up a dried cherry. I think I figured out a major point here with giving up fruit, and I had been eating it pretty moderately, yet I think it was messing with my appetite later. Here is what I had today:

Breakfast was 2 sunny side up eggs fried in coconut oil over roasted sweet potatoes and garlic (only had 2 today since it's Ash Wednesday and I'm trying to fast, kind of failed though)

Lunch was 1-1.5 cans chunk light tuna with homemade mayo and a whole avocado

Dinner was salmon cakes (from Whole 30 book, but I pan fried them in coconut oil instead of baking), sauteed some ratatouille to caramelize it a little, and half a baked potato with homemade mayo. The salmon cakes contained mashed sweet potato and they were super sweet to me, almost like candy.

13 hours ago, History&Pearls said:

we don't have a blender and I refuse to buy a one purpose tool so it's definitely a treat! 

There is so much you can do with a blender! Do you at least have a food processor? If not, it's worth the investment.

On 2/28/2017 at 2:16 PM, rgill said:

For all you that are working out, how are you handling eating before hand?  I used to just grab a spoonful of PB before a w/o and then have a Kind bar afterwards.  Now, I'll basically eat 1/2 my breakfast and then bring the other 1/2 to the gym.  Is that what were supposed to do??

I previously was not eating prior to my workouts, then eating my full breakfast after, and I was extremely achy for the first week. @jmcbn Suggested following the meal template for pre-/post-workout and that has made a huge difference in my performance and recovery. I eat a spoonful of almond butter 15-30 minute prior to my workout, then I eat about 2 ounces of tuna with compliant mustard after. I wait around an hour before I eat breakfast.

The days I wait too long to eat my tuna after my workout, my muscles get sore later. Also, if I miss the almond butter, I run out of gas during the crossfit WOD-style workout. Also, even if tuna doesn't sound appealing, especially if you workout in the morning, it is worth it and I am actually enjoying it when I get home from the gym at 7am.

Check-in for the day: I am definitely experiencing mental and physical fatigue from the constant stress at my work. We're meeting multiple deadlines this week, so there is nothing I can other than get my work done so we can get on the other side of this. I did very well with my meals today, despite the stress and was really happy with myself for not trying to snack after my meal 3.

I'm also trying out Natural Calm tonight to see if it will help me sleep. My sleep has been good the past two days, but terrible prior to that. The magnesium should also help my muscles so we'll see. 

Anyone else use Natural Calm or a magnesium supp?

2 hours ago, eatspinraverepeat said:

I am definitely experiencing mental and physical fatigue

Increase your fat intake until things at work settle.

The brain is made of 60% fat and so you need it for brain health.

16 hours ago, MargretB said:

Ideally you should be able to go 4-5 hours between meals, and if you're working out you should be adding in your before and after workout snacks. What time are you eating lunch? If it's early then being hungry before dinner might be normal. How closely are you following the meal template? You could try adding in more protein if you're at the lower end of the recommendation (the template is 1-2 servings) and making sure you're getting enough fat. 

Thanks Margret!  I don't even know if I'm posting correctly here, I clicked quote.  I work out at night mostly or mid afternoon depending on schedule.  I'm following the template with minor changes to foods I like but I'm only eating one serving per recipe I make.  I've pushed meals later to survive so breakfast is around 9-930; lunch at least 1-1:30 and dinner around 6:30.  My hard time is around 3pm-dinner.  I had roasted sweet potatoes last night and I thought I died and went to heaven!  Meals are chicken with a veggie side, breakfast is eggs with fruit and avocado most days.  Its hard to find these posts especially ones that I wrote in.

@eatspinraverepeat - I do! I love my food processor, but I think I've just had too many instances of buying a blender and either not using it ever or not getting it clean enough and getting grossed out by it. I've not mastered making smoothies in the food processor yet, but we do make a lot of sauces and dips, and use it for laborious cutting tasks!

15 hours ago, eatspinraverepeat said:

I'm also trying out Natural Calm tonight to see if it will help me sleep. My sleep has been good the past two days, but terrible prior to that. The magnesium should also help my muscles so we'll see. 

I have  used the Calm drink for different reasons in the past, and I just started it back up again too. I mostly take it to help with my digestion. I tend to get constipated and taking a teaspoon in the morning and at night helps me. I'm not sure if it's the calm drink or the way we are eating, but I have been sleeping like a baby recently! Our pediatrician has recommended that drink for my daughters to when they seem overly emotional or anxious.  So, I don't think it can hurt! 

For some reason today I amFeeling encouraged and excited about our future couple of weeks and how Our cravings will continue to subside. Read some of the "it starts with food"book this afternoon to help keep me motivated!  It was a good reminder of why I don't really want the food I've given up and my body anyways. 

Good job everyone. Are we on day 15 or 16? I've lost track!

How's day 16 for everyone? 

I don't feel Tiger Blood or even any energy at all, but part of that is just some stress at work. I have really bad anxiety and whole30 - combined with meds, no way I'm stopping those - seems to have helped, but I had a full-on anxiety attack this morning from work stress. Got through it, but I definitely wanted to turn to food. Instead, I ate my breakfast (fruit, almond butter, hard boiled egg) and then lunch (tuna salad with the world's smelliest onion and a small salad) and feel better than I would have with bad decisions, but man it was hard. 

My boyfriend's daughter is coming in town this weekend - we get her about every 3rd weekend - and she's 8, and the world's pickiest eater. Seriously, her favorite food is mayonnaise sandwiches (gag) and she won't eat any vegetables. At all. She wouldn't eat pizza until I put my foot down and told her we were not making pizza with just cheese and bread, no sauce. She has really serious anxiety about food and trying new things (for no reason - she trusts me and tries the most for me but I still struggle) and has started lying and sneaking food when we won't just feed her candy for dinner. Getting kind of anxious about feeding her, especially since it will just be me and her, this weekend. Anyone have picky eater tips for someone who was not in any way picky and doesn't get it?

18 hours ago, scma said:

I ate no fruit - and I felt totally full after meals and never needed to snack. I did have an inkling for something sweet after dinner but here I am 2 hours later and never even picked up a dried cherry. I think I figured out a major point here with giving up fruit, and I had been eating it pretty moderately, yet I think it was messing with my appetite later. Here is what I had today:

Glad you figured that out!  I too am very sensitive to sugars of any kind and they def feed my sugar dragon.  I eat very little fruit.  Maybe a date with a salad or for a treat I put a few raspberries in sparkling water.  Sometimes a 1/2 apple with almond butter.  Kind of a bummer, isn't it?  But, to not feel the hunger set in, that's great!! 

17 hours ago, eatspinraverepeat said:

'm also trying out Natural Calm tonight to see if it will help me sleep. My sleep has been good the past two days, but terrible prior to that. The magnesium should also help my muscles so we'll see. 

Hope this helps you sleep.  Never hear of that.  I have been taking a Magnesium glycinate every night before bed for 5 or so years.  Works like a charm! 

Posting some of my favorite meals from the past couple of weeks!  Loving that we can have sweet potatoes and butternut squash.  Also, I've never tried dried fruit in a salad.  The raspberries in the salad bottom left are dried.  Really a nice flavor with a crunch.

Whole30meals.jpg

3 hours ago, rgill said:

Glad you figured that out!  I too am very sensitive to sugars of any kind and they def feed my sugar dragon.  I eat very little fruit.  Maybe a date with a salad or for a treat I put a few raspberries in sparkling water.  Sometimes a 1/2 apple with almond butter.  Kind of a bummer, isn't it?  But, to not feel the hunger set in, that's great!! 

Exactly. It's so much easier to only mentally want the sugar, not physically feel like I'm missing it like I felt before. Again tonight I am only missing it a little after lunch and dinner, otherwise I have been fine today. I ate zero fruit, not even as an ingredient, for the second day in a row. So I guess it's no more fruit for the next 14 days, that I can handle.

Hi

i have been unable to respond , but my grandson fixed it for me! i feel so much better but no outside physical changes (loose pAnts, etc), perhaps too much fruit, even tho I eat it with meals, not as a snack!

sue

5 hours ago, History&Pearls said:

I don't feel Tiger Blood or even any energy at all, but part of that is just some stress at work. I have really bad anxiety and whole30 - combined with meds, no way I'm stopping those - seems to have helped, but I had a full-on anxiety attack this morning from work stress. Got through it, but I definitely wanted to turn to food. Instead, I ate my breakfast (fruit, almond butter, hard boiled egg) and then lunch (tuna salad with the world's smelliest onion and a small salad) and feel better than I would have with bad decisions, but man it was hard. 

I have also experienced lots of stress at work over almost all of the Whole30, and I made the observation today that, if it wasn't for W30, I would be eating so much junk right now, and justifying that I would eat better when I got on the other side of my deadlines. Even though it is difficult, today I gained a strong sense of self-efficacy in regard to being able to make it through the stress without turning to food! In a sense, I am almost thankful that I am experiencing this stress during W30 because it has given me the opportunity to realize my strength. Doesn't make the stress any easier though!

5 hours ago, jboyd said:

I have  used the Calm drink for different reasons in the past, and I just started it back up again too. I mostly take it to help with my digestion. I tend to get constipated and taking a teaspoon in the morning and at night helps me. I'm not sure if it's the calm drink or the way we are eating, but I have been sleeping like a baby recently! Our pediatrician has recommended that drink for my daughters to when they seem overly emotional or anxious.  So, I don't think it can hurt! 

For some reason today I amFeeling encouraged and excited about our future couple of weeks and how Our cravings will continue to subside. Read some of the "it starts with food"book this afternoon to help keep me motivated!  It was a good reminder of why I don't really want the food I've given up and my body anyways. 

Good job everyone. Are we on day 15 or 16? I've lost track!

The thing I am afraid of with Natural Calm is the digestive effect! I don't need that...so I started with a 1/2 tsp and I'll move up to 1 tsp in a few days.

Day 16: I am so much happier today because I took the day off of the gym. I felt miserable and exhausted last night, and spent my morning catching up on some e-mails for a fundraiser run I am team captaining, instead of going to the gym. It was a good decision, even though I didn't want to miss. I feel much better today.

I am not feeling the Tiger Blood, and I actually feel that my clothes are a bit tighter, but I'm being patient and waiting to see the "magic" before the end of my W30.

I'm so proud of you guys choosing to not go to food during stressful times at work!! Every time you choose to do so, your making new habit paths in your brain and body! That is huge!! This is when it's helpful to look at the long term results of this 30 days and not just the today. That's what I need most is a new way of responding to anxiety and conflict... we are doing it! 

@eatspinraverepeat - I absolutely agree! I think that one major NSV for me has been the refusal to turn to food for emotional comfort - even on my most stressful day, I found I wanted the convenience and comfort of food more than I wanted the actual thing. Huge huge huge for me, for sure! @jboyd - I definitely think the long term is becoming more important to me. I want to lose weight and kind of reset, and I don't plan to eat whole 30 forever (god I miss pasta) but I want to maintain about 80/20 and have a better relationship with food and my body, and this is definitely doing that!

18 hours ago, MargretB said:

@rgill All of that looks amazing! In all honesty, I'm feeling some food boredom. I have a pinterest board full of ideas that looked really good at one time, but now all I see is that they don't have cheese. 

@MargretB - I am feeling some food boredom setting in as well.  Hoping we can keep each other going with creative ideas.  You all in Alaska really have it tough with limited supplies!  Kudos to you for doing this.  I imagine you have to do a lot more prep than us on the mainland!  My husband can relate to the cheese part(from MN) I just keep thinking how good a dessert would be after dinner.  Although, that feeling is slowly dissipating:)

Today is Day 17 and I am STARVING. Usually my 3 eggs/sweet potato and garlic/coconut oil breakfast holds me till at least close to lunch, but today I was hungry an hour and a half later, like I normally am 4 hours later. It's hard because it's Lent and for the second day in three days I can't have meat, only fish and eggs, so I'm wondering if that has to do with it (although I had probably 8 oz of hamburger at dinner last night, mine and half of my daughter's).

Snow day! We got 9" over night and it just keeps coming. I went into work around 8 and called it at 11:30 when they extended the storm forecast into the evening. I'm emotionally craving popcorn and hot chocolate to go along with my snow day movies. I'm excited for dinner though. Chicken with coconut milk & lime, peppers, and pineapple is in the slow cooker to shred up and have over greens. It should make good lunch leftovers for the rest of the weekend too! 

I'm off to watch The 10th Kingdom and finally take down the Christmas tree! Keep going strong everyone, 13 days to go! 

• Moderators
3 hours ago, scma said:

Today is Day 17 and I am STARVING. Usually my 3 eggs/sweet potato and garlic/coconut oil breakfast holds me till at least close to lunch, but today I was hungry an hour and a half later, like I normally am 4 hours later. It's hard because it's Lent and for the second day in three days I can't have meat, only fish and eggs, so I'm wondering if that has to do with it (although I had probably 8 oz of hamburger at dinner last night, mine and half of my daughter's).

Assuming you're female, this could be related to where you are in your cycle -- most women find that in the week or so leading up to their period, they are much hungrier than usual, and this is normal, and it's okay to eat more. More food in general, and more fat and starchy vegetable in particular, can help.

It could be related to having only fish and eggs, but it's not like you've been doing that for days and days, so it seems unlikely to have caused this much difference at this point, although it's possible. On days where you're just doing fish and eggs, you may want to aim for the high end of the meal template for protein -- go for 2 palm-sized servings at each meal, or even a little extra if you feel you need it. And if you can, go for fattier, oilier fish, like salmon, sardines, or mackerel, rather than leaner ones like catfish or cod.

• Moderators
On 3/2/2017 at 8:48 AM, Kick the habit said:

Thanks Margret!  I don't even know if I'm posting correctly here, I clicked quote.  I work out at night mostly or mid afternoon depending on schedule.  I'm following the template with minor changes to foods I like but I'm only eating one serving per recipe I make.  I've pushed meals later to survive so breakfast is around 9-930; lunch at least 1-1:30 and dinner around 6:30.  My hard time is around 3pm-dinner.  I had roasted sweet potatoes last night and I thought I died and went to heaven!  Meals are chicken with a veggie side, breakfast is eggs with fruit and avocado most days.  Its hard to find these posts especially ones that I wrote in.

You don't need to go hungry on Whole30. If you need one and a half or two servings of food to stay satisfied for 4-5 hours between meals, that's fine, it's okay to eat however much you need to eat. For best results, try to eat your first meal within an hour of waking up. If you have longer than 4-5 hours between meals, it's okay to eat something. Try to have a mini-meal, with some protein, fat, and vegetables, or at least two of the three.

For your meals, be sure you're adding fat. You've got avocado with breakfast, but when you have chicken and vegetables, be sure you're adding some fat in addition to what you cook in, since much of that will stay  in the pan and not be eaten. Have a big handful of olives, or some mayo or ranch dressing or other sauce over the meat or vegetables, or more avocado if you want. Serving sizes for different fat sources are listed in the meal template.

As far as posting, you did the quote part right. You can also tag someone if you want to address a remark to them without quoting them, you type the @ symbol and then their name, no space, and a list should start to come up. Just pick the correct name from the list when you see it, and it'll come out like @Kick the habit and they'll get a notification that they've been tagged.

To find posts you've made, when you are in the forum, look up at the top right hand corner of the screen, and you should see a gray bar with your name at the right hand side of it. By your name, you'll see a round picture, right now yours is the standard white silhouette in a black circle. Click that picture, and it'll take you to your profile, and if you scroll down, you can see posts you have made. To the left of each topic, you'll see a little star -- if it's blue, there are new posts after yours, if it's grayed out, yours is the last post and there's nothing new to read. If you click that star when it's blue, it'll take you to the place you left off reading in the thread.

2 hours ago, MargretB said:

Chicken with coconut milk & lime, peppers, and pineapple is in the slow cooker to shred up and have over greens. It should make good lunch leftovers for the rest of the weekend too! 

That sounds amazing!  Let us know how it is.  Wow 9" of snow!! We had a dusting in VA this morning.  This week, we basically had all 4 seasons! Crazy.  Funny how we all associate food with certain things.  Hard habits to break!

Yesterday I was SO low energy. After a day of feeling like I could conquer anything. Weird. By 9 last night I realized I had caught a cold. So irritated. I'm pumping the vitamin C & hoping this goes away quickly.  We need all our energy to prep & cook. And, a cold makes me want comfort foods....more food association. Got out my pork tenderloin & will have that with sweet potatoes & oven roasted Brussel sprouts for dinner. 

Have a great day 18 all:)

Archived