Hello. I'm excited but intimidated

Hoju

My issue is that I basically haven't cooked for the past 20 years since I got divorced . Pretty much if you couldnt boil it or microwave it I didn't make it . Consequently I have to buy all the pans and knives and such . Also I know nothing about the skill of cooking . I don't prepare food. I just press buttons. It's feeling a bit overwhelming. Not only will I have the stress of changing what I'm eating , but I will have the stress of having to learn a new complex skill . Any advice? I'm thinking of starting very slow for example just starting with breakfast and learning how to cook breakfast. Once I get that down then I can move on to how to make lunch perhaps. And then lastly dinner . And then when I have that all in place I could start the whole 30 I think 

Hi, there!

Here's my main advice: Try to shift your focus away from what you can't do for now, and try to think of creative ways to use the skills you *do* have. For instance, you mentioned that you could boil — boiled eggs are a major staple in my Whole30, for any meal.

I also prep a lot of fresh cut raw fruit and veg on Sundays to use as sides with quick meals during the week — I separate romaine lettuce leaves for wraps, cut up celery and carrot sticks, slice oranges and grapefruit, etc.

Then there are plenty of no-cook canned options for protein — tuna, salmon and sardines are a few of my favorites (but read the labels closely — cheaper tuna's tend to contain soy as part of a broth blend).

You can buy bags of frozen cauliflower rice (Whole Foods and TJ's carry them here in the states), if you don't feel comfortable making your own at first. All you need to do is heat it up however you'd like.

Once you feel comfortable cooking a bit, maybe aim for big portions, so you have plenty of leftovers. I love one-pot cooking — just toss some chopped up vegetables in the bottom of a roasting pan with garlic, onions and put down some boneless chicken thighs on top, add fat of your choice and salt and pepper. Stick it in the oven for 45 minutes and it's a simple and satisfying meal.

Watching YouTube clips could help you with a lot of the most basic prep skills you'd need, and then it's just a matter of a few key pieces of kitchen equipment. Probably a blender, large skillet, baking sheet, roasting pan, one good chef's knife (you really don't need a lot of different ones), spatula and large slotted spoon. Maybe a wok, if you like the idea of an easy one-pan solution on the stovetop, too.

You can definitely do it! We all come into this with different weaknesses, but I think — or at least I hope, given that it's still early days for me — that our common strength is what matters most: commitment.

Good luck!

• Moderators

I don't have any more advice to add that the post above does not cover but I wanted to say that I absolutely love that you're taking this leap and stretching yourself in this way! Its courageous and admirable and you will find all the help you need here on these forums to successfully complete the program!

I do wonder, do you have a friend or work collegue that may be able to come over (or you to their house) and do a bit of a crash cooking course?  If you lived close, I'd be happy to help and that means I am SURE that someone in your cosmo would be keen to help also!

Archived