Journey officially began 10/22

ginnyray

Hello! I started my very first Whole30 on Monday (10/22). I've been on the fence about adapting to a Paleo diet for over a year now, and after reading the "how to" I decided that Whole30 was the plunge I needed to take to make it happen, successfully (aka, the kick I needed to master to kill the sugar dragon). I gave myself a week to prep - look up some new food ideas, stock my pantry, and sadly, I knew that the half marathon I was running on 10/21 would require me to caffeinate and sugar to finish (that was how I was training, a seasoned runner knows not to try something new on race day!).

I had also reached a point where I was finally willing to give up oatmeal, Greek yogurt, beans and most importantly, peanut butter. This was a really important step for me. For a long time, I kept reading through blogs about the health benefits to a Paleo diet, but just couldn't imagine not eating the above items. My fitness/health/body goals are more important than a spoonful of peanut butter or a cupcake, so here I am. My short-term goal is to be able to wake up at 4am, hit the gym to lift or go for a run and do it without a caffiene/sugar gel. Long-term I'd like to conquer my distance races without the help of gels/bloks etc.

Also wanted to note that the daily email subscription has been amazing. I was hesitant at first because it made me feel weak for subscribing, but honestly, the information has been really great and timely. Last night I was wondering what I would eat if I got sick, lo and behold, Day 3 email was exactly that.

I am working my way through "It Starts with Food", and have been browsing these forums religiously for a few days now. Decided I'd throw out my introduction and hopefully connect with a few other people who are in a similar situation. Also hoping to keep updating this thread as I work through the program.

Thanx for reading :-)

I started on the 22nd as well with the Whole 30 Daily, and am pretty happy with the email program so far. I have been fallowing a WAP diet for over a year and have been wanting to do the Whole 30, and I think the small financial investment was enough to get me going. I used to run 5-6 days a week, but in 2008 I broke my clavicle and then found myself pregnant with our first, I haven't been able to get back on track running since then but that is my next goal after getting my healthy eating habits on track.

Archived