Winter Squash Sensitivity?

orca_chick

This may sound crazy but I think I might have a sensitivity to winter squashes, particularly spaghetti squash.  I'm not currently on a Whole 30 (my last was 3/2016) but I tend to eat Whole 30 style 95% of the time with the occasional white rice, gluten-free oats, and plain greek yogurt because I've found these foods work well with my body in small quantities.  Any how, I just wanted to get some feedback and see if anyone else has experienced any type of issues with winter squashes.  On two separate occasions I've had a severe inflammatory response after eating spaghetti squash more than 1 day in a row.  I sometimes experience bloating and other discomfort after eating spaghetti squash in one meal, but it seems like if I eat it in larger quantities or multiple days close together, I have a severe reaction.  Right now, I'm sitting about 10 lbs higher than I normally do (promise I'm just using the scale to track my symptoms and not as a self-worth guide) and I am horribly bloated, uncomfortable, and gassy. I also have been experiencing extreme gastrointestinal symptoms including constipation and diarrhea.  This is day 4 of these symptoms, but I've been exposed to a type of winter squash or spaghetti squash every day since Wednesday.

I only put two and two together because I keep food logs to help track reactions and I happened to look back at the last time I had these symptoms and winter squash seems to be a common denominator.  However, I've never heard of anyone having such a severe reaction to squash.  Has anyone else experienced this?

My other suspect is eggs which I'm also going to eliminate for 30 days and reintroduce to see how I react...

Thanks in advance!

Jen

It could be a FODMAP sensitivity as the winter squashes would be higher in FODMAPs than the summer ones... Most people will have a tolerance threshold to certain foods & once they go over that threshold their guts struggles to process the sugars in the foods.

Your symptoms would certainly point towards FODMAPs.

39 minutes ago, jmcbn said:

It could be a FODMAP sensitivity as the winter squashes would be higher in FODMAPs than the summer ones... Most people will have a tolerance threshold to certain foods & once they go over that threshold their guts struggles to process the sugars in the foods.

Your symptoms would certainly point towards FODMAPs.

Thanks jmcbn.  It's funny, I was telling my husband that maybe I needed to try eliminating FODMAP's for a few weeks to see what happens.  Looking at the list of high FODMAP foods, I've been eating more than normal over the past week.  I have a sneaking suspicion that you're right.

Tomorrow I'm just going to do bone broth with ginger and tumeric, kombucha, and plenty of water to see if I can calm my gut down a little bit.  I'll try adding some veggies and lean protein to my broth tomorrow night if my system seems up for it.  If you have another other suggestions, I'm totally open to them.

Archived