SWYPO question

huliganjetta

I was catching up with my Whole30 Daily the other day, as I fell behind, and had a question. One of the newsletter had recipes with cauliflower rice, and zoodles, which I've seen around before. This time, however, I wondered: Why is compliant pancakes (egg+banana) not allowed, but recreating other foods, such as rice or noodles is ok? 

3 hours ago, purplepadres said:

Most people aren't going to overeat zucchini or cauliflower, like they would "pancakes" or other sweet treats.

I get that, but it's still creating a food like the one we're giving up. I *very* seldom make pancakes, and if I do, they're made of buckwheat flour, and have no sugar (some honey on top) OR I attempt the banana/egg pancake, which just ends up a scrambled egg concoction. I do miss my brown rice though, and quinoa. Those I have much more often than I do pancakes.

My personal feeling a week into this is SWYPO (Btw, HATE that phrase and the whole concept, it's offensive), could, would, and should be different for everyone.  I'm not a cake fan.  So if I were at a party and someone had a paleo, compliant cake I could eat a piece and not have any longing or desire.  But last night I tried to make compliant tuna salad with Primal Mayo and it was SO disappointing.  I normally love tuna salad- made with Miracle Whip, which is sweet.  Trying to replace it, for me, is triggery.  My personal feeling is this diet should be helping us figure these things out for ourselves, not shoving all of us square pegs into round holes.  But, I'm on day 8 and cranky so what do I know?

FWIW- IF I eat a pancake, which is rare, I do so with a fried egg over easy on top so I can soak up the yummy yoke goodness with the pancake, and I only eat one, so it's not a sweet treat for me either.

Pancakes are specifically called out though and always have been so trying to argue your reason for eating them is pointless. They're out. Period.

Zoodles & cauli-rice are just zucchini & cauliflower chopped/sliced in a different way, and they don't purport to taste like rice or pasta. They're just a fancy way of eating your veg.

@Georgina2I didn't even try to make compliant mayo. I don't eat mayo, or anything similar, in "real life", so the thought of it was just yuck for me. Sorry that your experience with it has been disappointing :( But maybe once you get used to the less sweet stuff, it will be good for you? Eventually? Like the first time I tried real peanut butter, I thought it wasn't yummy. But it's because prior to that I've been eating something like Jif or Peter Pan

4 minutes ago, jmcbn said:

Pancakes are specifically called out though and always have been so trying to argue your reason for eating them is pointless. They're out. Period.

Zoodles & cauli-rice are just zucchini & cauliflower chopped/sliced in a different way, and they don't purport to taste like rice or pasta. They're just a fancy way of eating your veg.

I don't care about pancakes, and am not trying to argue to eat them. It was used for the sake of an example. Thank you for your response. 

1 minute ago, huliganjetta said:

and am not trying to argue to eat them

@huliganjetta - my comment was not aimed at you specifically. It was more a general 'arguing your case' to anyone stating that they don't crave pancakes or class them as a treat., and therefore they should be allowed them.

Melissa & Dallas Hartwig wrote the program. They decided that they are off limits. They make the rules. We follow them. As far as pancakes are concerned it really is that simple.

Other food items sometimes fall into a grey area and in those cases we ask you to ask yourself if you are trying to recreate something that you are missing - like oats, fruit & honey in the morning for instance, or a creamy pasta carbonara... And sometimes context matters - and often the ratio of ingredients plays a role....

Is there something specific that you have in mind?

Just now, jmcbn said:

Is there something specific that you have in mind?

No, I think I don't at this point. I'm just waiting for the program to be over (yay day 29). My eating hasn't changed much with the program, but I'm just constantly bloated and am getting really aggravated about it :(

You'll never guess what was just on tv.  Miracle Whip vs. Real Mayo.  Miracle Whip was created during the Great Depression. They needed to stretch the oil out because of a lack of everything. Miracle Whip was created and they used a cup of sugar to replace the oil. It has 83% less fat than mayo. 

All I can tell you is that my BFF in high school used miracle whip instead of mayo for a hair conditioner and she couldn't get it out for a solid week. Her hair looked liked limp hanging twigs of grease. But this girl also used to brush her teeth with comet sink cleaner because she wanted white teeth. Oooo, the things she did for beauty, beauty, beauty. 

9 hours ago, huliganjetta said:

No, I think I don't at this point. I'm just waiting for the program to be over (yay day 29). My eating hasn't changed much with the program, but I'm just constantly bloated and am getting really aggravated about it :(

Have you excluded the nuts as suggested to you previously? Or asked anyone to look at a few days worth of your food to try to pin point any culprits? It will be something you;re eating more of then normal that is causing the bloat.

4 hours ago, jmcbn said:

Have you excluded the nuts as suggested to you previously? Or asked anyone to look at a few days worth of your food to try to pin point any culprits? It will be something you;re eating more of then normal that is causing the bloat.

I have excluded the nuts! It didn't help. I feel like anything I'm eating at this point is just making me uncomfortable :( And I am someone who eats a lot of nuts, nut butter, and tahini. A lot. And this stupid bloat is a new feeling. Perhaps it's because I'm getting more finer and less carbs, after cutting out grains?

2 hours ago, huliganjetta said:

Perhaps it's because I'm getting more finer and less carbs, after cutting out grains?

You should still be getting plenty of carbs provided you're including a good variety of veg. It could be a fibre issue, but really without seeing what you've eaten over the past 3-4 days it would be impossible to comment. More often than not bloating is a result of going over your own personal tolerance threshold for a particular food - 304 days worth of your food intake would help us to see any emerging patterns...

3or4  maybe?  though ten months of food data would certainly show up anything obvious.

I think that Cauli rice could be considered SWYPO if you're used to eating a 'Asian' style diet, with rice at every meal - then replacing normal rice with something like rice, would not be within the idea of this plan.  like if you have a small tub of Greek yoghurt after/with every meal, and replace it with a small tub of Cocoyurt (or whatever it's called) - you're replacing one thing that is potentially bad with something similar.  If you never have yoghurt, then I don't see why one cocoyurt will make a difference.

why is 'normal' tuna salad out anyway?  I'd have thought it was compliant?  unless you normally eat bath fulls of the stuff.

6 hours ago, jmcbn said:

Doh!! :ph34r:

3-4.... I meant 3-4.......!! :lol:

@jmcbn haha, I understood :D I was thinking the whole day about your comment, and I think I had an epiphany. I've been making broccoli and green beans, which are bloat inducing foods. But without them I was still feeling uncomfortable in my tummy. I was not having it so often, that I would feel uncomfortable practically the whole month. SO, the epiphany was that perhaps it's eggs or potatoes, or both. I like eggs, but I always limit myself to two a day max, because I've had history of not tolerating a lot of eggs. I was still keeping it at that portion, but I was having eggs more often I would say. Also potatoes. I barely ever have potatoes, and I was definitely having them more during the program. So perhaps those two are my enemies? I

13 hours ago, huliganjetta said:

@jmcbn haha, I understood :D I was thinking the whole day about your comment, and I think I had an epiphany. I've been making broccoli and green beans, which are bloat inducing foods. But without them I was still feeling uncomfortable in my tummy. I was not having it so often, that I would feel uncomfortable practically the whole month. SO, the epiphany was that perhaps it's eggs or potatoes, or both. I like eggs, but I always limit myself to two a day max, because I've had history of not tolerating a lot of eggs. I was still keeping it at that portion, but I was having eggs more often I would say. Also potatoes. I barely ever have potatoes, and I was definitely having them more during the program. So perhaps those two are my enemies? I

It could be any of those things. Honestly, the easiest way is to keep a food journal and note any symptoms after each meal - it makes spotting any likely culprits much easier, which is why I've asked you a few times to list out a few days worth of your meals... otherwise you're just guessing.

Archived