Dressing help!!!

mnwebber

I tried making the balsamic vinaigrette and the herb citrus vinaigrette. Both taste too much like the extra virgin olive oil. Am I just used to the sugary, store bought dressings or is there a way to spice these dressings to help get rid of the olive oil taste? 

Play with your proportions of oil to vinegar. I love acidic foods so I use more vinegar than the classic French ratio of  1 part vinegar to 3 parts oil. 

And for me, some Dijon mustard is always welcome (make sure it's compliant) and helps your oil and vinegar emulsify. 

Play with fresh or dried herbs. Find combinations you like. Follow your own taste buds!

• Moderators

Also worth noting -- some EVOO tastes very bitter to me, and when I'd use it, it made everything I put it on taste bitter. I don't know if I just got some bad EVOO or what, but I have been using California Olive Ranch brand for a while now and haven't had that problem with it. I'm sure there are other brands that work as well, but I can find this one easily at my local grocery store. You can also play with using other oils in your salad dressings -- walnut or macadamia nut oil or avocado oil could work, and would just give you different flavors. 

On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 8:38 PM, mnwebber said:

I tried making the balsamic vinaigrette and the herb citrus vinaigrette. Both taste too much like the extra virgin olive oil. Am I just used to the sugary, store bought dressings or is there a way to spice these dressings to help get rid of the olive oil taste? 

I usually use extra light tasting oil for any dressings/mayo etc. The flavor is much more mild!

There are definitely some EVOOs that taste off. There are interesting articles on the 'net on how rancid olive oils are passed off for higher end oils, and it's pretty hard to discern before we take them home.

During my first Whole 30, I found out how simple tastes best. I put my washed, spun greens in a nice big bowl and toss them with a tiny bit of EVOO and salt, using my hands. Then I add the juice of 1/2 a lemon and toss again. I throw those in a bowl and add additional ingredients: cucumber, olives, cherry tomatoes, etc. It tastes amazing. I am so looking forward to Spring and real fresh greens.

Stephanie

Archived