My 100 Ingredient Whole 30

GLC1968

Hi All!

This will be my log for my second Whole 30 that will start tomorrow, 10/25. I wanted to start on Oct 1st but I had to be realistic. We just moved our household by ourselves and that meant 4 days of pretty much eating every meal from a restaurant. I stuck to basic paleo guidelines, but I cannot account for the oils things were cooked in or hidden ingredients. I also had two work trips where travel forced me to eat more restaurant meals than I would have liked. Lastly, tonight I have a work dinner where I will have zero control over the food (it gets served to us...I don't even get to choose!) so I figure that starting tomorrow is the best way to set myself up for success. This does mean that I will be on Whole30 for Thanksgiving, but I'll either be cooking at home for just my husband and myself or joining friends who cook with clean and acceptable ingredients if I choose wisely. I don't anticipate a problem.

A bonus to this Whole 30 is my goal to eat 100 different ingredients. I got the idea from this thread:

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/3506-oh-my-god-what-do-you-eat/

My own personal challenge was devised based on Derval's progress so far in her Whole30. She was at 81 ingredients by day 24 so I'm going to give myself a goal of 100 unique ingredients by the end of day 30. I think this will keep me entertained, keep me trying new things and most important, keep me from getting lazy near the end and eating the same thing over and over again. ;)

I'm creating a spreadsheet for tracking and the fun begins at breakfast tomorrow morning!

Day one is going well so far...considering. I woke up with a nasty cold bug. Ugh!

I'm soldiering on though. Breakfast was compliant (and delicious) and tallied up 11 ingredients if I don't break out the different spices in the Sunny Paris spice mix I used from Penzy's. I think, since this is a challenge for me to branch out and try new things, I'm going to count spice mixes that I already use all the time as 1 ingredient instead of a list of them. I reserve the right to break them out at the end if I'm only a few short of 100 though! ;)

I also didn't weigh myself because our scale is still packed. Honestly, I don't care about my weight. I have pounds to lose (and some mid-section bloat), but I haven't stepped on a scale in over a month and it's just not important enough to me to start now. When it's all said and done, I'll know if I lost weight even if I won't be able to quantify it for anybody else.

OK, I have bad news. I'm going to have to delay this challenge by a few days. Last night I gave in and took NyQuil because I was miserable. I might have just suked it up had I been further along, but since it was only day one, i figured I could just restart. I also had some hot tea this morning with honey in it for my sore throat! I'm going to give myself a few days to get past his cold before I do a restart.

I'll still use this log when I do!

On a good note, I was well past 25 ingredients on just day 1! (Of course, many of those were my staples that will get lots of repeats ... Like avocado, eggs, spinach and onions.)

OK, I'm BACK!

Starting today (again!). Had a great Whole30 approved breakfast of roasted sweet potato, sage breakfast sausage and scrambled eggs (with my black coffee, of course). This afternoon, I should get a couple of minutes to clear out my ingredients list and start over on my spreadsheet.

I'm still not feeling 100%, but I got my first non-drugged full night of sleep last night, so I'm definitely on the mend. Phew!

Archived