Day 24 and I'm freezing!

I'm not sure what's going on. First, a few facts:

1) It is cold here. Outside temperatures are at about 0 to -3 Celcius during the day. (-8 to -10 at night. A little chillier than usual). It has also been overcast for a couple of days with strong winds and snow in the forecast.

2) I am 47 years old. Last winter, I was warm for the first time in my life. Alas, that seems to have dissappeared.

3) I have been feeling cold right around bed time since I started the whole30. No problem. But yesterday I noticed I was getting cold about the same time as I was starting to feel hungry again--about 3 to 4 hour after my last meal. Today, I have been cold constantly.

4) I am eating a portion of squash a day (though I haven't had mine yet, today). Lots of coconut oil, ghee, olive oil, avocados and olives, in my daily diet.

5) I am over 100 pounds overweight, as well. (Or, I was when I started. I have lost weight, my clothes tell me so!)

What on earth is happening--and can I do anything about it? It is extremely unpleasant.

Thanks.

I can think of a couple of things. I was on a VERY calorie restricted diet a couple of years ago (I, unfortunately knew nothing about Paleo or Whole30 back then). I was involved in the forums there and it was extremely common for almost everyone to be freezing. It was explained by the dieticians on that site that restricting calories can do that and losing weight can also do that. So, maybe you aren't eating enough or it's the weightloss. The part that throws me is that you say it's intermitant...when you are hungry? I don't remember that ever being said on the other site.

Thanks for your thoughts! I could easily weigh my protien and see if I am getting enough...(but what is enough?)

this morning was a two egg frittatta with a couple of slices of bacon, lunch was a mixture of ground beef and ground elk--the elk was about a 1/4 of a pound uncooked, the ground beef a little less. Haven't had supper yet. It will be lower, though.(Root soup with pork kielbasa sausage thrown in.)

It could be low calories. I really am not eating as much now as I did even the first few days on my whole30. I took pictures of my plates of food in the beginning for my blog.

The house is at 21 degrees Celcius--but it is an old, drafty house! Maybe I was just sitting at the computer too long? I just went outside to run an errand and 1) the car was warm and 2) just walking around for a bit at the grocery store has seemed to help! I don't know.Feeling a bit warmer--but I still have my coat on as I have to take my son to his orthodontist.

Thanks for your thoughts! I could easily weigh my protien and see if I am getting enough...(but what is enough?)

this morning was a two egg frittatta with a couple of slices of bacon, lunch was a mixture of ground beef and ground elk--the elk was about a 1/4 of a pound uncooked, the ground beef a little less. Haven't had supper yet. It will be lower, though.(Root soup with pork kielbasa sausage thrown in.)

It could be low calories. I really am not eating as much now as I did even the first few days on my whole30. I took pictures of my plates of food in the beginning for my blog.

The house is at 21 degrees Celcius--but it is an old, drafty house! Maybe I was just sitting at the computer too long? I just went outside to run an errand and 1) the car was warm and 2) just walking around for a bit at the grocery store has seemed to help! I don't know.Feeling a bit warmer--but I still have my coat on as I have to take my son to his orthodontist.

Ooo..no weighing of food (or yourself) allowed, although a palm sized piece of protein is considered a serving and you are welcome to 2 servings or more if you are getting hungry too soon. I don't think it sounds like you are eating nearly enough. I also see no veggies or added fat, but maybe you just didn't include those? Now go eat a lot of protein, even more veggies (and make some of them starchy as in sweet potatoes or other winter squash) and a thumb sized (or two) serving of extra fat.

Have you read the book It Starts With Food or read any of the info about Whole 30 on the Whole 9 site? I think it would help you devise a good plan for you.

My bad. Tom asked about protein, so that's all I wrote. No, with that two egg frittatta, I had at least a cup combined of onion, mushroom, zucchini and red peppers. I also had 1/8th of a canteloupe. It was all fried in bacon fat and olive oil.

Along with the ground beef and elk, I had red and green pepper, onions and mushroom and 1/2 can of tomato on a big bowl of spinach. (It's the "chili" recipe in the back of ISWF.) Fried up in coconut oil. ETA: topped it ith four black olives and 1/2 ripe avocado.

My afternoon snack was one ounce (28 grams) of cashews and 1/4 cup of raisins. I didn't actually finish it. (I preportioned my cashews because I found them easy to abuse. Ditto the dried fruit!)

Dinner is still cooking. My poor sugar burning family! Everyone is cranky and nasty.

Let's see how things go tomorrow. Perhaps I just need to work out every day--to keep up my circulation?

I'm sorry, but LOL on the cranky family.

Hopefully a moderator will chime in because I am certainly not an expert, but I still just feel you aren't eating enough. Possibly try a sweet potato or something a little starchier for one or two meals. I just see lots of very low carb items. A cup of veggies isn't very much. In general, I probably have around 6oz or more of protein (not that I weigh it, but I'm pretty good at eyeballing), 1-2 TBS of added fat and the rest of my plate is veggies, so I am thinking more like 2-3 cups of veggies.

Moving is always good, but no need to work out every day. I think it's something else and I think that something is not eating enough.

I saw someone suggest this method (I think it was KB) in a different thread. Put more on your plate than you usually do. Do stop when you are satiated, but don't let the worry of calories or amount you are eating cause you to stop. Eat nice and slowly (yeah right Susan..with these kids :) ) and just see if it fixes things.

I hear you want to lose weight, but that is not the purpose of this plan. It will happen if you need to lose it, but really..it's so much fun to eat as much food as is proper on Whole 30. I know the feeling of clothes becoming looser is exhilarating, but it will happen on it's own with no effort from you. Also, like Renee said..try higher carb veggies more often. It really is no fun being cold and this Whole 30 is a "I feel fantastic" plan, not a "ugh..I can't wait until this is over" plan.

Thanks slw! I have some roasted butternut squash waiting for me in the fridge. I'll be sure to have some for brekkie. I am really enjoying eating this way. Supper tonight was two hearty bowls of turkey kielbasa soup with homemade turkey broth, sweet potato, rutabaga, celery, kale, carrots, onion, garlic and parsnips. It is the first time I've had turkey kielbasa made without artificial "fillers" --it was AMAZING! I want to hug the man who made it!

LOL..then go hug him. :) I think you will be fine and your shivers will go away. Report back so we can all be happy for you. :) Edit to add: I think there is some sort of amazing stuffed butternut squash recipe floating around. I'll see if I can find it.

I'm in Canada too (Alberta) and this time of year when we cross over from warm to cold I find it takes the house time to "adjust". Even if the thermostat says 21 everything feels freezing! Anytime I stop moving I get cold (we have lots of windows) and especially if I've been sitting at the computer. You've gotten lots of great advice on food so I thought I'd throw in the possibility that it cold be a food + house combo ;)

I am on day 25, in Sweden and also freezing. I used to live in Canada, and it is similar to Sweden when it comes to climate (and mentality and hockey and lots of other things... :) ). I really think the number one reason is that it is getting colder outside, and I completely agree with the comment that it takes time to warm up a house. I am personally spending my day working under a blanket and constantly drinking hot, herbal tea.

But look at it as a good excuse to get up and move! It really helps! I did a spinning class in the morning and will probably do some crosstraining in the afternoon and perhaps some easy yoga tonight. It is THE best way to keep both warm and fit!

Archived