Coconut Flavor - Not a fan

BCS74

I'm on Day 10 of Round 1. Everything is going great so far, but I keep reading on the forums how much coconut oil and coconut milk people use. A lot of recipes call for them, too. I tried an avocado/cilantro sauce w/ coconut milk and didn't like it. I don't mind it for curries, etc, but it seems weird to use it on eggs and in veggies. I have been cooking with ghee and olive oil, I use homemade mayo to make sauces and dressings, and i eat raw avocados. Is there some health benefit to coconut that the other fats don't have? Should I just suck it up and eat it?

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, BCS74 said:

Is there some health benefit to coconut that the other fats don't have?

That kind of depends on who you ask, certainly there are websites out there that tout the amazing benefits of coconut oil, but I personally take those with a grain of salt. As long as you're getting enough fat, it doesn't matter whether you have coconut anything. Use the things that work for you.

If you do want a coconut oil without the flavor, you could look for a refined coconut oil, which has no taste or smell to it. It'll still be solid in a jar in the store, but it'll say refined somewhere on the label. I don't add any milk of any kind to my eggs, but if you needed something you might look for almond milk -- it can be hard to find a compliant version in stores, but it's supposed to be easy to make.

28 minutes ago, BCS74 said:

I'm on Day 10 of Round 1. Everything is going great so far, but I keep reading on the forums how much coconut oil and coconut milk people use. A lot of recipes call for them, too. I tried an avocado/cilantro sauce w/ coconut milk and didn't like it. I don't mind it for curries, etc, but it seems weird to use it on eggs and in veggies. I have been cooking with ghee and olive oil, I use homemade mayo to make sauces and dressings, and i eat raw avocados. Is there some health benefit to coconut that the other fats don't have? Should I just suck it up and eat it?

I personally hate to sauce anything in coconut oil and so I use olive oil/ghee for that.

And I reserve the coconut milk for curries and soups. I'm not a coconut fan. :)

There are plenty of good fats to choose from if you don't like coconut. You get to make your own choices. (Hello olives!)

Archived