Few questions all in one post!

Aveld

Hey.

I'm struggling a bit with figuring out if this is working or if my mind is not where it should be.

I've done a few rounds in previous years, but got a little side tracked as I was completely obsessed in the IIFYM world along with lifting heavy and cardio obsession.

i just want to find a happy balance between eating and exercise without becoming obsessed with one or the other. 

I'm 5'6 around 125lbs. I lift 4-5x/week and cardio about 3-5x/week. I'm technically on day 10, but have ate paleo for years. But find myself fearing adding too much fat. I'm always confused on if I cook with fat, do I add olives or avocado to the dish afterwards?! So I tend not to or just add a few. I'm trying to find a balance here.

But I've noticed as I look in the mirror from starting another round, I'm look puffier in my mid section. Has this happened to any others? 

I'm not eating many nuts, my fats usually comes from cooking fats, mayo, or olives/avocados. 

My meals are usually something like this:

PWO: 1 egg with mayo & a slice of priscetto 

PWO: 3 slices of turkey with sweet potato

M1: Chili on top of zoodles with a side of berries with coconut cream (Hungry a few hours later)

M2: chicken, snap peas, carrots, spaghetti squash, broccoli, sunshine sauce, a few cashews (grabbed more chicken since I was still hungry) 

M3: chicken, spaghetti squash, sweet potato with coconut butter (satisfied)

im wondering if anyone can look at these and suggest what I could be doing (if anything) differently and what might be causing the puffiness in my mid section. 

I don't want to gain weight, but feeling discouraged that my body comp is changing since I used to do IIFYM and have suffered from an eating disorder in the past. 

I always see so many people posting their results and mine are not worth posting as of right now. :P 

Has anyone ever given up cardio during their Whole30 and had success with better body comp?

im currently lifting 4-5days a week with cardio about 3-4x/week but wondering if I'm doing "too" much and need to lay it down s bit. 

Most people feel a bit tired during 1-2 weeks of the Whole30 due to the change in diet. It is recommended to ease back on the workouts until the adjustment period is over.  That being said, it is very important to make sure you have your pre & postWO snacks in addition to your regular meals, this will really help with recovery and energy. I do crossfit 3-4 times per week. I don't stop working out but I will modify my workouts until the energy is back.  Hope that helps! :)

I actually don't feel tired but noticed my belly is a bit puffier than normal and wondering if I'm retaining water from "too" much exercise. I'm not sure. I feel like I have a beach ball in my stomach. 

I lift pretty heavy 4-5 days and if I have time I add a cardio session in afterwards, maybe 20-30 mins of either :30 sprint :30 recovery or 1 min sprint 2 min recovery, something on those lines. 

9 hours ago, Aveld said:

I actually don't feel tired but noticed my belly is a bit puffier than normal

What day are you on? And what do a few typical days of food look like for you? Are you drinking adequate water & salting your food?

ETA: I just found your food log... If the nuts have been a daily thing I'd ditch those - they're notoriously hard on the digestive system and can in fact be inflammatory due to their high levels of omega 6 fatty acids. For the hunger try increasing the size of your meals in general - the template is a guideline so for those who are particularly active, especially if you lift heavy, you'll likely need more protein & fat to feel satiated & to save you from snacking.

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced their belly becoming puffy (not bloated) mid-way through their round. 

I'm currently on day 11, but I came from a diet not so high in fat along with not so high in calories (I was a big IIFYM'er, which led to an eating disorder) and I'm wondering if my body is not a fan of all the fat. 

I am still experimenting with my protein/fat ratios. I still find myself hungry shortly after meals and not sure what to increase protein or fats?! 

Im 5'6" 125. Lift weights 4-5x/week. Cardio currently 3days/week (I have cut back recently to see if I had been over-training). 

The puffy belly looks as though I'm losing definition in my mid area, but I'm still so hungry I'm not sure what my body is doing or asking for. It's like it's hungry, but there's no room for any food. 

Any my advice would be great. Thanks!

• Moderators

Aaveld, I've combined this new post with the other two threads you've started in the last 24 hours. Please don't continue to start new threads with the same concerns.

Julie has given you advice that you've yet to respond to with regard to nuts and increasing your meal sizes.  You can try changing up the composition of your meals if you're not getting 4-5 hours... that's usually a sign of not enough fat.

15 hours ago, jmcbn said:

What day are you on? And what do a few typical days of food look like for you? Are you drinking adequate water & salting your food?

ETA: I just found your food log... If the nuts have been a daily thing I'd ditch those - they're notoriously hard on the digestive system and can in fact be inflammatory due to their high levels of omega 6 fatty acids. For the hunger try increasing the size of your meals in general - the template is a guideline so for those who are particularly active, especially if you lift heavy, you'll likely need more protein & fat to feel satiated & to save you from snacking.

I'm on day 11.

i do drink quite a bit of fluids. I drink over a gallon of water each day and hot tea. I also salt my food but not overly salt it. 

I don't do a lot of nuts. So I'm sure it would be that. But I'll keep a better look at it with my food log. 

Thank you!

I suspect that my body fat percentage is considerably higher than yours, but my husband and I both see regular changes to belly shape depending on what we have eaten.  Among the suspects:

- Any blended vegetable soup (butternut, broccoli, cauliflower, etc.)

- Beets (to the point where I have stopped eating them, DH tolerates them better)

- Curry and saag, both of which are salty and have lots of coconut milk

- Tomato sauce for me, not so much for DH

- Cooked or raw broccoli (this is more gas and less belly shape changes)

Things that don't cause it:

- Sauteed vegetables

- Raw vegetables

- Fruit, including dried fruit

- Meats

- Fats, including nuts, oils, avocado, etc.

When I am not doing a Whole30, I would add grains to the list of things that cause belly distension but not gassy bloating.  Dairy that contains lactose causes gas and bloating.  And corn, well, that's a whole separate thing.  Some of it just makes my stomach hurt in a weird almost-hunger way.  And popcorn causes "popcorn belly," which is clearly from eating it without enough liquid and then having it expand in my belly.  It takes a while for the mass to move through the system.

ThyPeace, more info than I ever thought I'd share on the Internet about how my digestion works, but I hope it's somewhat helpful.

Archived