February 22 Start Date

Bethany Stewart

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finished Day 1, and now on to Day 2. Yesterday, I had scrambled eggs with veggies and a side of blueberries for breakfast, a big garden salad with chicken for lunch, and beef stew (made in the slow cooker) for dinner. I felt pretty energetic most of the day, and just a little hungry after lunch, but I had a post-workout snack that took the edge off. 

By the way, http://therealfoodrds.com/slow-cooker-pumpkin-applesauce/ is a great snack recipe. Eliminate the maple syrup to make it Whole30-compliant. Adding the collagen gives it a nice protein boost, but you can eliminate that too if you don't have it. You can eat it hot or cold--that's what makes it such a great snack option. Mix in a little coconut cream right before eating to boost the fat content. It's naturally sweet because of the apples and also heavy on the carbs, so you have to make sure to portion appropriately and don't let yourself go hog wild. :-) 

It's so great to hear from everyone! I didn't realize just how many people out there would be starting the same day I did. Keep up the good work!

For the people thinking about snacks, I love this: make the "ricotta cheese" (mostly macadamia nuts) from nom nom paleo, put it in a date or prune, wrap w bacon or prosciutto, and cook in oven. Omg yum!! I love making cheater deviled eggs- peel a boiled egg and slice it. Make a remoulade with compliant mayo, compliant pickle relish, and cayenne/old bay/your favorite spice mix. Put a little bit on top of each egg slice and eat with a little fork. When desperate I eat terra chips, I eat olives, I eat meat sticks from Trader Joe's, and RX bars. We make a trail mix with nuts, raisins, and coconut (sort of sliced not shredded). My husband always takes some of this to work. You can eat seaweed snacks (nori) 

This is my second time doing the Whole 30.  I completed it last January and midway though I began to feel better than ever!  I expected that giving up wine would be my major struggle.  It wasn't easy but I learned that I am addicted to sugar.  Slaying the Sugar Dragon was my biggest struggle.    

Today was Day 1 of my 2nd Whole 30.  I look forward to sharing ideas and supporting each other. 

So my first day just ended and was also ok.  My morning are pretty basic with I egg and several pieces of fruit.  I love coffee but cant drink it black.  I still havent figured out what coconut milk to use.  i drank water with lemon when i wanted to snack but ate chicken with greenbeans and cooked veggies for a late lunch.  I was hosting a paint night at my house so i purposely bought things that i could eat fruit, veggies, sparkling waters, sunflower seeds.  i did cook organic chicken with potatoes but only ate chicken with green spinach salad.  I did buy multigrain chips to serrve the family and in one of my mindless moves while setting up...1 chip fell on the table and i ate it.  I didnt even notice till I finished swallowing.  I wanted to kick myself!  It was so mindless....I became so aware the rest of the night.  So except for that 1 chip rest of night went well.  I too notice I was eating more fruits than veggies so I will keep an eye on increasing my veggie intake.  I look forward to tomorrow!  Thanks everyone for sharing your first days!  

20 hours ago, Gloria Starr said:

My sisters suggested I start juicing too so I made my first veggie/fruit juice.  Well lets say it wasnt my best.   I realized i will stick the basic foods and possibly juice maybe in the mornings.

Just spotted this as I was scrolling through the page.... Actually we don't recommend juicing or smoothies. Fruit contains lots of valuable nutrients, vitamins & fibre. Juicing removes the fibre and leaves only a juice with a high sugar content. Smoothies tend to have a high sugar content too. Apart from that the body processes liquid food differently to solid food in that the act of chewing kick starts the production of digestive enzymes, so with liquids the brain doesn't receive the same satiety signal and so you tend to get hungrier sooner. Juice is fine when used for sweetening a savoury sauce, or livening up some water, but leave this new routine until after your 30 days.

Good day all!  I'm glad the forum is working again!

Yesterday was good, but today I'm starting to get sugar cravings.  I had to run to the store and I SWEAR that everything I saw was either sweets or grain-based - often both!  

But today my meals have been good.  I had a spinach-roast beef-tomato frittata for breakfast, a cup of chicken salad for lunch, a compliant Larabar for snack and grilled pork chop with the veggies I cooked with the roast beef last night (potatoes, butternut squash, celery, carrots) for dinner.

I've been drinking Ozark sparkling water all day.

All in all a good day.

I grilled veggies,  a grass-fed organic steak, and sautéed mushrooms.  This is the first time I tried Whole 30 compliant steak, it was not very flavorful.  I used a little of Grill Mates Montreal Steak seasoning.  This morning I realized it has partially hydrogenated soybean oil.  If you know of a delicious way to cook Whole 30 compliant steaks, please let me know.   

This morning I made ghee.  Using the ghee pan, I added two eggs and then chopped a couple of the roasted veggies from last night (red & green pepper, red onion).  I served it with a slice of avocado and it was quick, flavorful, and simply delicious!  

I'm craving sugar too! 

5 minutes ago, Sharon48 said:

I grilled veggies,  a grass-fed organic steak, and sautéed mushrooms.  This is the first time I tried Whole 30 compliant steak, it was not very flavorful.  I used a little of Grill Mates Montreal Steak seasoning.  This morning I realized it has partially hydrogenated soybean oil.  If you know of a delicious way to cook Whole 30 compliant steaks, please let me know.   

This morning I made ghee.  Using the ghee pan, I added two eggs and then chopped a couple of the roasted veggies from last night (red & green pepper, red onion).  I served it with a slice of avocado and it was quick, flavorful, and simply delicious!  

I'm craving sugar too! 

I really like the Primal Palate spice blends. They are simple but flavorful. The Barbecue Rub and Meat & Potatoes are two that I love on grilled meats. I haven't tried their new Steak Seasoning. They are a little pricey, but much more cost effective for me than buying lots of spices that I wouldn't use up quickly enough. 

http://www.primalpalate.com/

I also swear by a George Forman grill. And I like to coat the meat in a little olive oil, then add lots of the spices, grill one side and spice again. 

So my day 2 was good.  I had a bit more energy.  Yesterday i felt tired more than today.  i had mostly protein for breakfast, oven baked chicken and boiled eggs with a banana.  i snacked on an apple then ate 4oz of steak with stirfried zuccini, snacked on fruits and had stir fried chicken, potatoes and a heap of spinach mixed with cilantro and pepper added salt and apple vinegar for dressing.  Before dinner took my toddler daughter to Launch a trampoline park and jumped and played with her without feeling soo exhausted.  when i got home...i was ready for that dinner.  Ended the night with about y pieces of fruit which included pineapple, melon and blueberries.  Soooo good.  I drank water with lemon most of the day.  Very refreshing.  It was a good and successful day for me.  I dont see the change in how i look but i do see it in how i feel.  Looking forward to day 3.  I did crave sweets but I picked up a small bit of fruit and the craving would go ahead.  Dinking water with lemon helped me curve my appetite.  Goodnight everyone and @Bethany Stewart Good morning :-).

Hearing what you all are eating is so inspiring! Real food is so delicious. :-) Something new I tried yesterday was salmon salad (with homemade mayo, chopped cucumbers, celery, and onions, and rosemary). It was good and super easy. Toward the end of the day I got a killer headache and upset stomach, but this morning I feel much better. We've just got to stick it out for this stage and keep our eyes on the prize--it's worth it!

Oops I meant to post here and ended up posting in the wrong forum....

Day 2:

This morning I woke up and my chronic back pain was very flared up! More so then it has been in a very long time. I also did not want to get out of bed, I felt so tired. My pain and exhaustion improved as the day went on... I'm prescribed to a steroid for 5 days for a bacterial lung infection that antibiotics didn't take care of, that could have been what helped my pain and energy. I'm planning on extending my Whole30, incase the steroids hinder my results. 

I attempted to make mayo and totally made the mistake of using extra virgin olive oil. The most bitter mayo I have ever tasted. Luckily, the flavor was perfect when I used it as a substitute in the Asian Vinaigrette (instead of extra virgin olive oil)....It made a delicious creamy dressing on an incredible salad! I used pulled chicken, ruby mandarins (accidentally bought these and it's one of the happiest mistakes I've ever made), red onion, green bell pepper, sliced almonds, sliced carrots, spinach and romaine.

For dinner I tried the Pulled Carnitas recipe from the 'Whole30' over half of a baked potato with guac. The guac was incredible, but totally made me miss corn chips! The carnitas were way too salty and I think I'll keep russet potatoes to a very bare minimum this month..I felt too full. 

Went on a hike with my 2 year old little girl and dog and had a wonderful time! 

Tonight I am so full but I definitely can feel my sugar dragon breathing hard.....:blink:

Wow! You gals are all so motivated. Thank you for the encouragement. I'm about to begin my day 2 and I'm ready for it. This is my second go at this WOE. I completed it the first time around 8 months ago. I do remember a lot of NSV and the feelings I had from achieving such greatness was empowering. Unfortunately I slipped up as time passed and now I'm back to feeling like a blah mess. Although, I KNOW that this feeling will pass. For all of us.

we just have to keep feeding our beautiful bodies the things that they deserve!

Again, thanks to all of you for helping me through day 1. 

How is it going everyone? 

Mine is going fairly well. I feel like I am much hungrier than normal but I think I am eating enough. I was full when I went to bed last night but was absolutely starving when I woke up which usually doesn't happen. I had a headache yesterday but am doing fine so far today. My body is not yelling at me yet for the lack of caffeine (Coke Zero). I wish I liked coffee but I don't.

I am not an egg person so breakfast is a struggle. I have been having sweet potato tuna cakes which are very tasty. For lunch I am having these chicken zucchini poppers with salsa. I had them yesterday as well. They are not my favorite but since they make 27 and I have only eaten 5 of them, I'll be eating them for awhile still. For dinner, I am having a jalapeno turkey burger patty with a chunky guacamole and zucchini. 

I think it's going to be a good day!

So glad I found this forum! Love reading about everyone's meals! I started Feb 22nd as well and I'm SO enjoying myself so far!

I was a little headachy and foggy this morning. I hadn't expected to feel much sugar withdrawal, as I'm pretty cautious about it in my normal diet, but it's in so many more things than I realized that I think I'm experiencing that hangover anyway! Also felt weaker than usual during my morning workout, but feeling better after a 2nd cup of black coffee. :-)

Today was apple slices with (compliant) prosciutto for breakfast, and a green juice with kale, cucumber, lemon, parsley, spinach, pear, and pineapple. I really struggle with breakfast because 1) I'm eating enough freaking eggs already, and 2) my tummy is not into food first thing in the morning. I think I will push breakfast to 10 or 11am, it's not strictly to plan but seems to work better for my stomach and schedule.

I forgot my packed lunch this morning (that's what happens when you leave for the gym at 6:15!) so I stopped at Whole Foods before work and made myself a BIG salad with romaine, grilled corn, green onions, roasted broccoli, and chicken. Their salad-bar balsamic vinaigrette, which I LOVE, has sugar in it, so I settled for olive oil and balsamic vinegar instead. Also found a compliant kombucha after reading several labels.

Tonight is baked chicken thighs and roasted Brussels sprouts, zucchini, and onion with homemade balsamic glaze. Forgoing wine hasn't been an issue yet, as I don't usually drink during the week, but Friday night is a different story! I'm on the hunt for some ways to jazz up my La Croix. The first days have been pretty easy, but the weekend is where the real challenge is going to be for me.

14 hours ago, madisonbopbop said:

Oops I meant to post here and ended up posting in the wrong forum....

Day 2:

This morning I woke up and my chronic back pain was very flared up! More so then it has been in a very long time. I also did not want to get out of bed, I felt so tired. My pain and exhaustion improved as the day went on... I'm prescribed to a steroid for 5 days for a bacterial lung infection that antibiotics didn't take care of, that could have been what helped my pain and energy. I'm planning on extending my Whole30, incase the steroids hinder my results. 

I attempted to make mayo and totally made the mistake of using extra virgin olive oil. The most bitter mayo I have ever tasted. Luckily, the flavor was perfect when I used it as a substitute in the Asian Vinaigrette (instead of extra virgin olive oil)....It made a delicious creamy dressing on an incredible salad! I used pulled chicken, ruby mandarins (accidentally bought these and it's one of the happiest mistakes I've ever made), red onion, green bell pepper, sliced almonds, sliced carrots, spinach and romaine.

For dinner I tried the Pulled Carnitas recipe from the 'Whole30' over half of a baked potato with guac. The guac was incredible, but totally made me miss corn chips! The carnitas were way too salty and I think I'll keep russet potatoes to a very bare minimum this month..I felt too full. 

Went on a hike with my 2 year old little girl and dog and had a wonderful time! 

Tonight I am so full but I definitely can feel my sugar dragon breathing hard.....:blink:

•  

I did the same thing with the extra virgin olive oil!!! Lol remaking it this evening!!

has anyone noticed they aren't really hungry at all these first few days?! I have zero appetite, and I LOVE coffee! And this morning it made me sooooooooo jittery. I think that's why I'm still not hungry. But I wasn't hungry at breakfast either. 

Hi Everyone!  So my day three today was challenging.  For me the smell of certain junk foods i like were causing me to crave them.  I went to the movies with my sister and mom and had a banana and my lemon water but my sister bought nachos and i saw others eating popcorn.  omg i thought i wasnt going to make it through.  But I did. My cravings were strong.  I did have a good breakfast and lunch with potatoes and grilled chicken with more veggies than yesterday.  I did have fruits as snacks in between meals.  At night i really struggled!  I kept true but even eating fruits didnt satisfy the craving.  I hope tomorrow is a better day.  Any suggestion for crunchy chip like snack to help at times like this.  Let me know.  thanks 

Day 3:

Good job everybody! We have made it this far. I woke up feeling great..I'm really sorry to say that out loud because I know it was a rough day for a lot of people. It may have been because I finally got my two year old to sleep in her own bed last night so my sleep was much more restful then usual.

breakfast: yucky, oversalted pulled pork carnita leftovers with a fried egg on top. (I'm also not a huge fan of eggs, I can usually only stand them if they are hard boiled) and pan fried plantains. The plantains and eggs kind of absorbed the salt, but not enough. 

I had a headache creep up on me later on the morning...lol probably dehydration from all of that salt. But more likely...sugar withdrawals.

Lunch: Was dreamy. I made the Asian salad again that I mentioned in my last post and just threw some hard boiled egg on it for some extra protein. (Picture below) lots of veggies hidden under all of that protein and those decadent ruby mandarin pieces. Spinach, green bell pepper, shaved carrot, red onion, a sprinkle of unshelled pistachios. Whole30 Asian dressing (made with mayo instead of extra virgin olive oil)

Dinner: even more amazing (picture below). I made my own chicken rub with onion powder, garlic powder, chili powder, ground mustard, salt, pepper, cayenne let that marinate on chicken wings and chicken breast for about 30 minutes and then smoked the chicken for two hours. Meanwhile, whipped up Whole30 ranch (oh and a new batch of mayo with avocado oil this time!) chopped up sweet broccoli, carrots and celery. Made the mashed cauliflower from Whole30, added fresh rosemary and thyme in addition. And made Whole30 buffalo sauce. This meal is one of the best I've ever made!

oh! We had friends over for dinner, everyone was drinking wine and cocktails so I muddled some pineapple and lime in a fancy cup and topped it with ice and club soda. So refreshing I didn't even miss the alcohol! And everyone was impressed with all the food I'm "allowed" to eat. 

I must say...my back is killing me from standing in the kitchen so much over the last few days. I hope I can keep this up!

@LadyMoon79 I wonder if it is the coffee! I'm not a big coffee drinker but I've noticed when I do drink it, it has a huge effect on my whole digestive system, including my appetite! I bet your hunger will catch up to you in the next day or two. :)

@Gloria Starr I'm also in need of something crunchy! I'll keep an eye out and let you know what I find! Maybe some really good roasted veggies could satisfy our need to crunch?!

IMG_0207.PNG

IMG_0201.JPG

2 hours ago, Gloria Starr said:

Hi Everyone!  So my day three today was challenging.  For me the smell of certain junk foods i like were causing me to crave them.  I went to the movies with my sister and mom and had a banana and my lemon water but my sister bought nachos and i saw others eating popcorn.  omg i thought i wasnt going to make it through.  But I did. My cravings were strong.  I did have a good breakfast and lunch with potatoes and grilled chicken with more veggies than yesterday.  I did have fruits as snacks in between meals.  At night i really struggled!  I kept true but even eating fruits didnt satisfy the craving.  I hope tomorrow is a better day.  Any suggestion for crunchy chip like snack to help at times like this.  Let me know.  thanks 

You are so strong! Just thinking about the movies is a huge trigger for me! Great job sticking to plan!

14 hours ago, LookyLoo said:

So glad I found this forum! Love reading about everyone's meals! I started Feb 22nd as well and I'm SO enjoying myself so far!

I was a little headachy and foggy this morning. I hadn't expected to feel much sugar withdrawal, as I'm pretty cautious about it in my normal diet, but it's in so many more things than I realized that I think I'm experiencing that hangover anyway! Also felt weaker than usual during my morning workout, but feeling better after a 2nd cup of black coffee. :-)

Today was apple slices with (compliant) prosciutto for breakfast, and a green juice with kale, cucumber, lemon, parsley, spinach, pear, and pineapple. I really struggle with breakfast because 1) I'm eating enough freaking eggs already, and 2) my tummy is not into food first thing in the morning. I think I will push breakfast to 10 or 11am, it's not strictly to plan but seems to work better for my stomach and schedule.

I forgot my packed lunch this morning (that's what happens when you leave for the gym at 6:15!) so I stopped at Whole Foods before work and made myself a BIG salad with romaine, grilled corn, green onions, roasted broccoli, and chicken. Their salad-bar balsamic vinaigrette, which I LOVE, has sugar in it, so I settled for olive oil and balsamic vinegar instead. Also found a compliant kombucha after reading several labels.

Tonight is baked chicken thighs and roasted Brussels sprouts, zucchini, and onion with homemade balsamic glaze. Forgoing wine hasn't been an issue yet, as I don't usually drink during the week, but Friday night is a different story! I'm on the hunt for some ways to jazz up my La Croix. The first days have been pretty easy, but the weekend is where the real challenge is going to be for me.

Hey there & welcome to the forum :)

The weakness during your workout is fairly common and may last until around day 10 when your body should be more fat adapted. Stick with it! Are you taking a postWO meal? This will really help with recovery...

If you're looking to get the most out of this program and really work on rebalancing your hormones then you might want to really make an effort aroound breakfast  - it's kind of important to your hormones that you eat within an hour of wakening. I know that for some people it can be really tough at first but this chnages really quickly when you keep trying. The fact that you say eating later works better for you tells me your hormones are out of whack. Plate up a template meal, eat as much of it as you can ensuring you get a little of each food group, then wrap up the remainder to eat as soon as you feel able ie NOT at the next meal. You'll be surprised how quickly your morning appetite comes round & you start wakening hungry.

Re the smoothie - we really discourage them here. The body processes liquid foods differently to solids in that it's the act of chewing which kick starts the production of digestive enzymes, so with liquids the brain doesn't receive the same satiety signal leaving you hungrier sooner. They als o tend to be fruit heavy. THe recommendation aaround fruit is for up to x2 fist sized servings per day. Your breakfast already takes you over that.

And sorry to end on another negative, but corn is a grain (and specifically highlighted in the rules) and as such is off limits for your Whole30.

Archived