February 22 Start Date

Bethany Stewart

Wow! You gals are all so motivating.  Thank you.

Madisonbopbop your food choices look so yummy. Good job creating beautiful dishes.

Gloria Starr. I tend to take plantain chips to the movies with me. They are crunchy. Sometimes I sneak in some carrots sticks too. I'm glad you got through it. You got this!

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 4:

I'm a foggy, brain-dead zombie today. I ate leftovers all day. Now I'm combatting lots of cravings. I just want to go to sleep right now!!

Im so tired of going to the grocery store!! 

Dinner tonight will be burgers on portobello mushroom caps, roasted sweet potatoes and broccoli with Whole 30 ranch. Maybe I'll pick up some La Croiux at the store? 

I hope everyone is having a better day than me!!

1 hour ago, madisonbopbop said:

Day 4:

I'm a foggy, brain-dead zombie today. I ate leftovers all day. Now I'm combatting lots of cravings. I just want to go to sleep right now!!

Im so tired of going to the grocery store!! 

Dinner tonight will be burgers on portobello mushroom caps, roasted sweet potatoes and broccoli with Whole 30 ranch. Maybe I'll pick up some La Croiux at the store? 

I hope everyone is having a better day than me!!

I am right there with you. I am glad it's the weekend and I didn't have to be productive at work. I have resisted the urge to nap but I've wanted too.

My biggest frustration today was grocery shopping. It takes so much longer because I have to look up ingredients on certain things I need to see if they are compliant or not. 

You dinner sounded good! I had turkey burgers with guacamole and homemade airfryer fries. That made my day a little better.

16 hours ago, jmcbn said:

Hey there & welcome to the forum :)

The weakness during your workout is fairly common and may last until around day 10 when your body should be more fat adapted. Stick with it! Are you taking a postWO meal? This will really help with recovery...

If you're looking to get the most out of this program and really work on rebalancing your hormones then you might want to really make an effort aroound breakfast  - it's kind of important to your hormones that you eat within an hour of wakening. I know that for some people it can be really tough at first but this chnages really quickly when you keep trying. The fact that you say eating later works better for you tells me your hormones are out of whack. Plate up a template meal, eat as much of it as you can ensuring you get a little of each food group, then wrap up the remainder to eat as soon as you feel able ie NOT at the next meal. You'll be surprised how quickly your morning appetite comes round & you start wakening hungry.

Re the smoothie - we really discourage them here. The body processes liquid foods differently to solids in that it's the act of chewing which kick starts the production of digestive enzymes, so with liquids the brain doesn't receive the same satiety signal leaving you hungrier sooner. They als o tend to be fruit heavy. THe recommendation aaround fruit is for up to x2 fist sized servings per day. Your breakfast already takes you over that.

And sorry to end on another negative, but corn is a grain (and specifically highlighted in the rules) and as such is off limits for your Whole30.

I appreciate the input. I know I should work on the breakfast. My main issue is that I generally get up very early and head straight to the gym. There isn't time for a full-on egg breakfast at 5:30 in the morning and just the thought makes me nauseous. The workout is non-negotiable. Ideas for something lighter, quicker, and more portable than a huge plan breakfast would be appreciated.

My juice wasn't a smoothie, actually, but a juice that I consumed as a beverage alongside my breakfast. I hope that makes a difference - I love a refreshing green juice with my meals. I do not treat it as a meal replacement, and I focus on the veggie-heavy ones. I didn't specify the size, but my breakfast was 1/2 an apple, sliced, and that's all the fruit I had for the day. I realize you are trying to encourage everyone to follow the recommendations to the letter, but I have personal goals I'm trying to achieve as well and I'm quite satisfied with the way things are going so far.

And you are right about the corn, but thank goodness I meant grilled cauliflower, not corn. Brain fog strikes again.

@Gloria Starr Try kale chips! I love them, even in my regular, non-Whole30 life. Dry the kale well, toss with a small amount of your oil of choice, salt & pepper, any other compliant seasonings you like, then bake for around 20 minutes at 375 degrees. (Ovens vary widely, so just check regularly. Also don't over-salt!) Crispy deliciousness!

@madisonbopbop - foggy, brain dead zombie? I feel for you. Try to remember that this will pass and then you will be on to another "wonderful" stage of this whole30 journey. 8) And sometimes I loath the grocery store too. Although I really have a desire for portobello mushrooms now....yummy.

4 hours ago, OSU_EMM said:

I am right there with you. I am glad it's the weekend and I didn't have to be productive at work. I have resisted the urge to nap but I've wanted too.

My biggest frustration today was grocery shopping. It takes so much longer because I have to look up ingredients on certain things I need to see if they are compliant or not. 

You dinner sounded good! I had turkey burgers with guacamole and homemade airfryer fries. That made my day a little better.

Omg!! Yes! Spent three hours grocery shopping tonight! I've been trying to get some things from a regular grocery store and the harder to find stuff (also happens to be the more expensive stuff) from a health food store.

Your dinner sounds delightful! High fives! We made it another day!

On to day 5! I've noticed a difference in my energy levels already, and the detox headaches seem to be gone (knock on wood). I'm also getting used to how much I need to eat at each meal in order to stay full until the next one. 

My husband is doing it with me, and last night we needed a little change-of-pace in the beverage department. We got a can of soda water and added a little lemon juice and (no sugar added) apple juice to make it a little more special. It was a great weekend treat!

It's great to see how well everyone's doing. Keep up the good work!

3 hours ago, LadyMoon79 said:

@LookyLoo - what are some of your favorite seasonings for your kale chips?  that sounds good!

I usually just do salt & pepper, they don't need more than that! But my other faves are vinegar, South African Smoke seasoning, 21 Seasoning Salute, garlic and/or onion powder, or chipotle powder. The key is to season lightly, as the flavors become more concentrated in the oven (and the pieces of kale shrink).

My day 4....

Wow thanks everyone for your feedback and progress.  Its really encouraging.  Today was better than yesterday.  I was focused and go, go, go from the momeng i woke up till i went to bed.  My problem of snacking or needing to eat more was more at night or after 5pm.  During the day I was less hungry but ate smashed plaintains, half of a dmall piece of salami (not sure if this processed) but ate a very small quantity just in case with 1 egg, & fruits for snack, had raw veggies with strawberries for lunch.  Was on the road and didnt bring a protein but the grab back was perfect for the road trip with my sister.  we both had a health snack/lunch with water.  For dinner went over my inlaws who had prepared rice, sauted porkchops, beans and yucca (a root family of potatoe and yams).  So i ate everything but the rice.  It was good but wanted to eat more.  I didnt. So I snacked on a mango, black coffee and some left over fruit for a late snack with my 2 year old daughter.  

The one thing I noticed was that I was cranky towards the end of the day. I was very energetic till after dinner...i then tried winding down but my husband became annoying and I snapped at him and even my mom in law when I felt I was be bossed around with my 2 year old.  OMG.  I felt so bad for my mom in law but ny husband well lets just say were still mad :-(.  I felt a bit more defensive and cranky the rest of the night. I knew it was time for me to go to sleep.  Luckily my daughter fell asleep with me which gave me some comfort.  I dont sleep much..wake ever 2-3 hours to pee.  So I slept from 1030pm till1am.  Ill be heading back to sleep around 230-3am or so.  I hope my sleep improves with time.

@lookyloo...you know several months back i tried bagged kale chips in an attempt to try something new...they were soooo bitter...i couldnt eat them.  I will try doing it myself to see if its anything different.  Thank you for the suggestion.  Has anyone ever tried dried pork rind.  I used to  eat it as part of old diets and they were good for snacking.  Im not sure if I can use them for whole30.  its protein and 0 carbs.  Let me look at the label to see the intake of sugar or anything else is large.  Let me know what you suggest regarding dried pork rind aka chicharrones chips in Spanish. Again glad Im not alone doing this...your struggles and food suggestions are great to hear....thanks for sharing.    

10 hours ago, LookyLoo said:

I appreciate the input. I know I should work on the breakfast. My main issue is that I generally get up very early and head straight to the gym. There isn't time for a full-on egg breakfast at 5:30 in the morning and just the thought makes me nauseous. The workout is non-negotiable. Ideas for something lighter, quicker, and more portable than a huge plan breakfast would be appreciated.

My juice wasn't a smoothie, actually, but a juice that I consumed as a beverage alongside my breakfast. I hope that makes a difference - I love a refreshing green juice with my meals. I do not treat it as a meal replacement, and I focus on the veggie-heavy ones. I didn't specify the size, but my breakfast was 1/2 an apple, sliced, and that's all the fruit I had for the day. I realize you are trying to encourage everyone to follow the recommendations to the letter, but I have personal goals I'm trying to achieve as well and I'm quite satisfied with the way things are going so far.

And you are right about the corn, but thank goodness I meant grilled cauliflower, not corn. Brain fog strikes again.

There are a lot of folk on the forum who train before work, myself included. I've been at this a long time so sometimes I'll train fasted, and sometimes I'll eat a small amount of fat before I leave the house - generally the yolks from a couple of softish hard boiled eggs. I eat a postWO as soon as I'm done my session - either the egg whites of the yolks I ate earlier, or some roasted chicken. Again, I've been at this a long time so I tend to skip the starchy carb and ensure I eat adequate starches in my template meals through the week to allow for the restoration of muscle glycogen. Then I eat my breakfast when I get to work. I'll often have a salad, or maybe some chilli beef over a mountain of kale, but I can pretty much throw any kind of a meal together from the food I prep on the weekends. It's definitely do-able if you think outside of the box. Have a read through the 'Whole30 for Athletes' section to get an idea of how others cope with their schedule.

Your juice was a juice whatever way you look at it, and they're not recommended because of the different satiety signals they give. Had you eaten some veg alongside that apple I might not even have commented, but you didn't eat any other veg.

And yes, these are all recommendations, but I've dealt with SO many people on this forum who are troubleshooting half way through, and then are disappointed with their results when they get to day 30 that I try to point these things out from the get go - I'm just trying to help you get the most out of your 30 day commitment.

Ultimately you decide what you want to do with my advice - honestly if you choose to ignore it I won't be offended, but I might just have to say 'I told you so' when the time comes... ;):D

Thank goodness re the cauliflower.................!

8 hours ago, Gloria Starr said:

Has anyone ever tried dried pork rind.  I used to  eat it as part of old diets and they were good for snacking.  Im not sure if I can use them for whole30.

If you're going to use this as an extra in a salad to add some protein & texture and it's compliant then work away. If you're planning on using it as a snack then I'd have to say no.

Really we'd encourage you to move away from the snack habit, and the hand to mouth style of eating that goes with it - be mindful of the food you put into your mouth. If your meals are composed effectively you shouldn't need to snack in between meals - if you're finding your self hungry get yourself a mini meal made up of at least two of the three food groups (with protein & fat being your best option), and then increase the size of your meals going forward.

Allow your digestive system some down time between meals, and give your body to tap into it's fat stores if required.

Breakfast Day 5 was delish!

I wanted something different this morning so for my family of 4 I followed a Whole30 compliant recipe I found and made a few tweaks. 

(Serves 4!) I took 2 bananas and two eggs and mashed it up and mixed it into a chunky, soupy texture. Threw it in the skillet for about 5 minutes 

I scooped about three tablespoons into each bowl and topped with a tablespoon of Sunflower Butter, coconut flakes, Granny Smith apple slices and cinnamon. 

I served a simple salad with julienne cut broccoli slaw with carrot, spinach and Whole30 ranch.

The banana 'porridge' was pretty sweet. Probably one of the sweetest tasting meals I've had over the last several days.  I absolutely recommend serving this in a small portion with a big salad!

IMG_0226.JPG

How's everyone feeling on Day 5? I have felt very few side effects so far - a teeny headache, a little tired/weak at the gym on Day 3. But nothing out of the ordinary. I'm not sure if this is because I ate very little sugar already, or if it's just delayed for me and it'll all hit me next week! But so far so good! The hardest part so far has been wine. . . I'm not a heavy drinker but I have my little rituals on Friday/Saturdays that often include a glass of wine. And a mimosa with brunch! 

Speaking of which, I had my first eating-out experience this morning. I asked a lot of questions and managed to put together a totally compliant and totally delicious veggie hash with avocado and poached eggs, everything in olive oil. I was definitely annoying with all my special requests in a busy restaurant, luckily it was our usual neighborhood joint where they know us. :-)

I roasted a whole chicken yesterday, stuffed with lemons and rosemary. Put some sweet potatoes in with 45 minutes to go, seasoned with ghee, salt, pepper, and onion powder when they came out. Simple and delicious for a weekend dinner! Today I pulled all the rest of the meat off the chicken carcass and have a large pot of broth going. I plan to make a soup tonight with kale, chicken sausage, and potato, then will have broth to make soup throughout the week, or just sip for something yummy. This is a pretty normal weekend meal/activity for us, just making a few tweaks to make sure everything is compliant!

3 hours ago, LookyLoo said:

How's everyone feeling on Day 5? I have felt very few side effects so far - a teeny headache, a little tired/weak at the gym on Day 3. But nothing out of the ordinary. I'm not sure if this is because I ate very little sugar already, or if it's just delayed for me and it'll all hit me next week! But so far so good! The hardest part so far has been wine. . . I'm not a heavy drinker but I have my little rituals on Friday/Saturdays that often include a glass of wine. And a mimosa with brunch! 

Speaking of which, I had my first eating-out experience this morning. I asked a lot of questions and managed to put together a totally compliant and totally delicious veggie hash with avocado and poached eggs, everything in olive oil. I was definitely annoying with all my special requests in a busy restaurant, luckily it was our usual neighborhood joint where they know us. :-)

I roasted a whole chicken yesterday, stuffed with lemons and rosemary. Put some sweet potatoes in with 45 minutes to go, seasoned with ghee, salt, pepper, and onion powder when they came out. Simple and delicious for a weekend dinner! Today I pulled all the rest of the meat off the chicken carcass and have a large pot of broth going. I plan to make a soup tonight with kale, chicken sausage, and potato, then will have broth to make soup throughout the week, or just sip for something yummy. This is a pretty normal weekend meal/activity for us, just making a few tweaks to make sure everything is compliant!

That's wonderful you were able to eat out and have a compliant meal! I'm so nervous about the first time I'll have to eat out. 

We smoked a whole chicken today too! Great idea to make the remains into a soup! 

...the wine cravings have been heavy for me this weekend too.  

Cheers to another day!

...the rest of day 5....

I was so irritable this afternoon. I caught myself a couple of times just knit-picking my partner for no reason! He's day 5 also, and I could tell we were both irritating each other. I have a mild headache this evening.

For lunch.. halibut with citrus glaze from Whole30 and Orange and beet salad from Whole30. This was super easy and fairy quick to whip up. I used canned beets to save time. 

This afternoon we did some meal prepping..we smoked a whole chicken and chicken breasts for the week, I hard boiled some eggs and chopped some veggies.

For dinner... we pulled apart some of the chicken and served the leftover Whole30 buffalo sauce over it from the other night, roasted asparagus with leftover Whole30 ranch, and I mashed a leftover potato with sweet potato, coconut cream, ghee, fresh rosemary and topped that with carmelized onion. It was very good but I'm definitely battling desert cravings.

IMG_0251.JPG

IMG_0250.JPG

IMG_0249.JPG

So my day 5 was a bit better. Continued to have energy.   Not as cranky today but was easily irritated.  I have noticed I havent needed any tylenol for headaches or body ache...i used to live off of it several times a day.  I was also going regular to the bathroom but today have become bloated and constipated.  I am still taking the steroids and anti viral med for the bells palsy and have about 3 more days with this...so I question if this is what is causing it today.

I had an awesome omelet with pieces of ham with bell peppers and some fruit for breakfast.  I went to a birthday party...which was hard with everyone eating the cake but i did eat fruit instead.  I did leave unfortunately but fortunately soon after they cut the cake as my husbad wasnt feeling well...so this helped me avoid further temptation...lol.  Funny thing never craved it but sure looked pretty...loll.  I did eat at the party, ham, turkey, salad and small piece of shephards pie without the cheese topping.  However my husband was eating so I ate his meat too...I didnt feel well after.   I over did the meats today.  So rest of night I ate oranges and raw veggies and drank camomile tea.  But was still bloated.  I do wonder if this could also be my menses as its due anytime.  I did forget to bring my water with lime as we were in a rush to go to church.  Without it...made me feel thirsty.  I drank water everywhere i went but that water with lemon really makes a difference.  Anyhow day 5 done.  On to day 6.  

To all you dull headachers out there. I'm not used to this feeling. I never have headaches (okay, rarely) and the feeling of going to bed on day 3 and waking up with one on day 4 was unsettling. It's somewhat comforting to know that I am not alone. Thank you.

It's so inspiring to hear and see pictures of the wonderful meals you put together for yourselves and your families. 8)

10 hours ago, Gloria Starr said:

So my day 5 was a bit better. Continued to have energy.   Not as cranky today but was easily irritated.  I have noticed I havent needed any tylenol for headaches or body ache...i used to live off of it several times a day.  I was also going regular to the bathroom but today have become bloated and constipated.  I am still taking the steroids and anti viral med for the bells palsy and have about 3 more days with this...so I question if this is what is causing it today.

I had an awesome omelet with pieces of ham with bell peppers and some fruit for breakfast.  I went to a birthday party...which was hard with everyone eating the cake but i did eat fruit instead.  I did leave unfortunately but fortunately soon after they cut the cake as my husbad wasnt feeling well...so this helped me avoid further temptation...lol.  Funny thing never craved it but sure looked pretty...loll.  I did eat at the party, ham, turkey, salad and small piece of shephards pie without the cheese topping.  However my husband was eating so I ate his meat too...I didnt feel well after.   I over did the meats today.  So rest of night I ate oranges and raw veggies and drank camomile tea.  But was still bloated.  I do wonder if this could also be my menses as its due anytime.  I did forget to bring my water with lime as we were in a rush to go to church.  Without it...made me feel thirsty.  I drank water everywhere i went but that water with lemon really makes a difference.  Anyhow day 5 done.  On to day 6.  

I'm curious about the Shepherd's pie! That's one of my favorites but usually has flour in it (gravy + crust). Was there a compliant one, and if so can you get the recipe for us? :-)

@Sharon48 I use the Watson's House rub - it's salt, cracked pepper, and garlic powder.  Works well on steak and on pork chops.

Well, i survived the weekend and TWO doctor's appointments without finding out what the scales had to say.  I'm pretty damn poud of that!

I've managed to stay on plan, although this morning while chopping butternut squash I kept thinking about how it looked like a nice cheddar. Seriously, I thought it would be the soda's and artificial sweetner's that I miss the most, but NOOOOOO.  It's cheese.  More than anything, I miss cheese.

Today is day 6 for me.  I made the shepard's pie in the WHOLE30 book and it is definately a keeper!  I had the leftover's for breakfast, I had a pork loin chop with mini red bell peppers for lunch.  Dinner is the tomato sauce with ground beef and spaghetti squash. If I'm hungry when I get off work, i have a Lara bar in my car.  

I'm feeling rather achy and vague.  A bit of a headache, but more like my head is stuffed with cotton balls.  Anyone else?

I just had a momentary freak out! I was going to add a little tomato sauce to the crockpot meal I made yesterday because it is a little dry. I read the label and it contains dextrose. I panicked because I used tomato sauce in the original recipe! After digging through my trash can, I found the can and thankfully it did not list dextrose. They say to always read the ingredient list even if its something you buy consistently. It is so true!  

7 hours ago, CKM said:

@Sharon48 I use the Watson's House rub - it's salt, cracked pepper, and garlic powder.  Works well on steak and on pork chops.

Well, i survived the weekend and TWO doctor's appointments without finding out what the scales had to say.  I'm pretty damn poud of that!

I've managed to stay on plan, although this morning while chopping butternut squash I kept thinking about how it looked like a nice cheddar. Seriously, I thought it would be the soda's and artificial sweetner's that I miss the most, but NOOOOOO.  It's cheese.  More than anything, I miss cheese.

Today is day 6 for me.  I made the shepard's pie in the WHOLE30 book and it is definately a keeper!  I had the leftover's for breakfast, I had a pork loin chop with mini red bell peppers for lunch.  Dinner is the tomato sauce with ground beef and spaghetti squash. If I'm hungry when I get off work, i have a Lara bar in my car.  

I'm feeling rather achy and vague.  A bit of a headache, but more like my head is stuffed with cotton balls.  Anyone else?

CKM thanks.  I will try Watson's House rub, it sounds good!  I'm also going to try the shepard's pie!  I miss cheese too!

Archived