Done with eggs, done with this...

Pugster

I'm on day 14 of my Whole 30. I had some good days. I have definitely noticed a difference in energy in the afternoons, since I'm not eating junk for lunch. However; my stomach is a mess, I have diarrhea and cramps. I am sick of eggs, I've never really been an egg person in the first place. I'm bored with what I'm eating. I dread waking up to more Whole 30 food. I see the benefits of the program, but this is stressing me out, and I want to eat my favorite foods. My family had a cookout today and I couldn't have a roll on my burger or potato salad. I'm in a terrible mood. Also, no fresh chocolate chip cookies. 

• Moderators

Nothing in this world is just right for everyone, so it's possible this isn't the right program for you, but if you do want to try to stick with it and try to figure out what's going on, you could try listing a few days' worth of typical meals, including approximate portion sizes and specific vegetables, and we can see if there's any obvious things that you could change to improve your experience. Sometimes there are things that are Whole30 compliant that just don't agree with certain people. High FODMAP vegetables (I'd normally link you to this site for information about these, but it's currently showing bandwidth exceeded when I try to open it -- it has more explanation as well as a list. For now if that won't open, look at this list and if you're eating a lot of the grayed out fruits and vegetables, this might be the issue for you), for instance, could cause diarrhea if you happen to be sensitive to them, as could nightshade vegetables which include any kind of peppers, tomatoes, eggplant, and white potatoes, and are often hiding in spices since they include chili powder, paprika, and red pepper flakes. If you feel like you're eating a lot more of something than you used to, it's possible that you've hit the limit of what your body can tolerate of that item.

You never have to eat eggs, although for some people, it's hard to imagine eating something non-breakfasty for their first meal in the morning. It can be done, though. You could make enough at supper to eat leftovers for breakfast, or spend some time once or twice a week to make up some meatballs or salmon cakes and a big pot of soup or a bunch of roasted vegetables for breakfasts that would be easy to reheat and eat if you're rushed in the morning. More ideas for egg-less breakfasts here or here.

Archived