need to do acne elimination diet- please help!

Runnermama

Since starting to follow a whole30 lifestyle Jan 1, my previously mostly under control acne has been totally out of control. I'm talking huge cystic flareups for a 41 year old woman. The only thing I can imagine is that I'm eating something (or more of something) that I'm sensitive to while on Whole30. I never ate coconut or coconut oil before, but that doesn't yield much in google searches. I'm eating a lot more eggs and tree nuts. Eggs definitely show up in google searches as a possible cause, nuts less so.  My question is what to do. Should I eliminate one of these three (coconut, egg, tree nuts) at a time? Or all three together? And for how long?

If anyone has other suggestions about what's going on I'd love to hear it. I love the Whole30 lifestyle but the acne is really really painful and bad. 

Nuts.

Nuts are well known for causing skin break outs - they're a fat, and an inflammatory one at that. I start there & see how you go.

Also, check your cans of coconut milk for BPA as this is known to cause skin break outs too.

On 2/20/2017 at 9:39 AM, jmcbn said:

Nuts.

Nuts are well known for causing skin break outs - they're a fat, and an inflammatory one at that. I start there & see how you go.

Also, check your cans of coconut milk for BPA as this is known to cause skin break outs too.

Wow this is very helpful. When I googled nuts it turns out that raw nuts can be especially problematic. Well guess what I discovered (and had literally never had before) when I started Whole30? Raw nuts! I'm going to try eliminating all nuts for now, which really stinks but is probably good for weight loss anyway. If anyone else has advice I'd love to hear it. 

Runnermama - I have also experienced severe "rebound" cystic acne on my chin/jawline/hairline since completing the January whole 30 (my 2nd), and definitely related to my period (I'm 32). It's hard since it didn't really come up until after reintroduction, and hard to pinpoint the cause. I suspect that the main culprit (sugar) but I am going to definitely follow advice above and eliminate raw nuts & increase greens. If you find anything else helpful please report back & I'll do the same! :)

I've known women who've developed cystic acne during pregnancy and for some it continued on until their 40's or going through all of the stages of menopause. It's hormonal. You may have to see a doctor if you cannot manage it with food. Sooner than later to avoid scars. They have new treatments now. 

Dr. Wechsler. For most women, cystic acne is linked to a hormonal imbalance. So they’re likely to experience cystic acne around their menstrual cycles, and see it appear on the jawline, chin and lower portion of face.

I've had the same issue! I just finished my Whole 30 and the acne never went away :( 

I think it is due to nuts. After this reintroduction week of legumes, I am going to cut out nuts for the rest of the month and see if things improve! It is so annoying to have so many spots on my jaw!

Archived